1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need solution to slow response from 20-700

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by 1953, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Sep 2, 2010 #1 of 10

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    We use a Logitech remote with our 20-700 DVR. The 20-700's response time to remote signals is generally slow. It's now to the point where even my wife is irritated with this issue.

Is there any solution to this problem other than switching to the newest DVR?

2. Sep 2, 2010 #2 of 10
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    The newer DVRs, other than possibly the HR24, are actually thought to be more sluggish than the HR20.

Uni remote codes are not always exactly the same as the original, and sometimes do not work as well (although this is probably not the issue) especially if they are learned codes. Try the original remote to see if it is faster.

And of couirse you have tried a reset, correct? and called DTV?

3. Sep 2, 2010 #3 of 10
    Chuck W

Chuck W Icon

Mar 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm using a Logitech on my HR20-700 and it seems similar, if not the same to the response I get from the original remote. That's not to say it's fast nor consistent at all, but it's about the same.

Is it consistently slow response or just at different times? If it consistently slow on all button presses, all the time, then it may be the remote and you may want to look into the key press times that Logitech programs into the programmable remotes. Their defaults make things a bit slow if not adjusted. It's been a while since I programmed mine so I don't remember the option offhand.

If it's excruciatingly slow at various but random times, then there isn't much you can do other than pray that the Direct devs finally see the light and figure out how to fix the "brain farts" as I call them.

My HR20-100, HR20-700 and HR21-100 are ALL slow in general, but all 3 exhibit the same serious bouts of slowing to a crawl at various times, especially with channel changes. When these slowdowns happen, changing a channel becomes an exercise in frustration. It goes...

Press 265 <enter> and eventually get.......2..........................6............."Channel Not Available"...................5 and the channel changes to channel 5.

The only one of my 4 receivers that doesn't exhibit this is the HR24.

4. Sep 2, 2010 #4 of 10
    Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    After a couple of years of my 3 HR22s running slowly and ignoring and/or delaying remote response I gave up on DirecTV fixing them and paid for HR24s. Haven't had the slowdowns with the HR24.

5. Sep 2, 2010 #5 of 10
    mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    My HR20-700 sped up nicely when I replaced the hard drive (500GB can be had for $40, which doubles your recording space). Entering channel numbers is still inconsistent though.

6. Sep 2, 2010 #6 of 10
    billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I get this action about once a week on my HR20. Just got the same response yesterday for the first time on my HR21.

Annoying, but acceptable as long as it doesn't start happening more frequently.

7. Sep 2, 2010 #7 of 10
    HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    I get that on both my HR20-700 and my R22-200 quite frequently. In fact the R22 got so bad last night that I had concluded that the thing had become completely unresponsive. I had pressed guide...nothing...pressed guide again...again nothing...down arrow to start double play...nothing...info...nothing...menu...nothing.

Just as I was getting up to press the infamous red button it responded to the initial Guide command and apparently ingnored the subsequent key presses.

Then once in the guide it could barely navigate. Up and down arrrow response was incredibly slow, like 15 - 20 seconds per key press. Page up/down was as bad if not worse.

At that point I just decided to continue watching what was already on.

Then about an hour later the remote response returned to normal.

This is by no means the first time I have seen this extraordinary slowness but it may have been the worst.

8. Sep 2, 2010 #8 of 10
    Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    Is it possible that the TV's "standy mode" or "power save mode" has something to do with the slow response time. I think I read something along those lines somewhere.

9. Sep 2, 2010 #9 of 10
    sr6376

sr6376 AllStar

Sep 18, 2007
    This has been a big-time thorn in my side from the moment I upgraded to HD boxes. Prior to that I didn't notice any big problems w/ response time. I think it's pathetic that D* ignores this and requires loyal customers to go out and purchase the newest boxes (including a new 2yr contract) instead of performing a swap. When I had cable, if I had an issue w/ a box, I would call them, they would come out and install a new box free of charge. D* needs to address situations where they have a known issue instead of putting their collective heads in the ground and ignoring it....

10. 1953

1953 Icon

Feb 7, 2006
    Desoto, TX
    Well, after the Aug 31 firmware update my HR20-700 is once again responding almost instantly! Over the years I've come to accept the fact that there is no rhyme or reason to DTV. Nothing ever surprises me!

:grin: