1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Some Info To Help Me Assess Genie Upgrade Feasibility

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by nuspieds, Dec 18, 2012.

1. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    Hi,

I'm interested in upgrading to the Genie, but after reading several threads here, I have a couple of questions I would like to have answered to help me determine if I should go down the upgrade path and, if I do, what to expect.

First, my setup:
    • Living Room - HR24-500 with 2TB WD housed in an MX-1. TV is a Samsung Plasma 3D HD TV and I use the HDMI connection.
    • Master Bedroom - HR20-700 with 2TB WD housed in an MX-1. TV is a Samsung LCD HD TV and I use the HDMI connection.

Both are connected to the internet via DECA and I have Whole Home.

I also have a Hauppage, so I don't mind recording off conent from the HR20 onto my NAS and then retiring the HR20. I have a lot of unwatched movies on the HR24 and only if there is significant benefit of retiring it would I go through the effort of also recording its content onto my NAS.

So, at minimum, I'm looking to get a Genie for the Living Room and then move the HR24 into my Master Bedroom, after first retiring the HR20.

So here are my questions:

1) Will new cabling required or will it be "plug and play?" The cables from my Master Bedroom currently run under the house to the Living Room, so I need to know if this will have to be re-done.

2) Do I lose any functionality by also retiring the HR24 and getting a C31 for the Master Bedroom instead? I just need to ensure that I continue to get the exact same (or more) functionality that I currently have by having two independent DVRs.

3) I read here that the Sans Digital MR2UT+B (http://www.sansdigital.com/mobileraid/mr2utplusb.html) works with the Genie so I'm also interested in getting it. However, what I couldn't clearly determine was the exact model of WD 3TB drives that would work in it. I'll be running it RAID1. If you have an exact Amazon link or equivalent, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

2. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Unless you're strapped for space or power, the HR24 is in most important ways better than a C31 (especially given the problems that some are currently having) and it won't cost you any additional to keep it.

3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Here ya go:

1) Should be plug and play.

2) I agree with Harsh, stay with the HR24. The C31 client acts as another front end for the HR34 Genie. Swapping the HR24 for the C31 will cost you the loss of 2 tuners as the C31 takes one from the HR34. The lease fees will be the same regardless of the equipment.

3) Sorry, not sure on this one.

4. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    I'm definitely not strapped for either and I read those numerous posts about the C31 issues.

Thanks for the suggestion!

5. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    Great and thanks! I certainly did not want to disrupt my cabling. :)

I certainly do not want to lose a tuner, so the HR24 will stay.

Thanks for the info.

6. dettxw

dettxw MRVing

Nov 21, 2007
    Choctaw, OK
    I think RunnerFL is using the Sans Digital successfully.
    Try a search, especially of the eSATA - DIRECTV recommended list thread.

7. acer

acer Duplicate User (Account Closed)

Dec 13, 2012
    It's really up to you. Personally having 2 HD-DVRS with me I wouldn't have a point in getting the genie as I could care less of pip and the 5 tuner thing if i am able to share recordings from room to room as can right now.

8. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    What's appealing to me about the Genie is specifically the number of tuners because I'm running into conflicts now, especially when I'm watching NFL ST and am using DoublePlay.

9. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
  10. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    Yes, I know, and thanks for the link.

The only reason for the preference is a long ago I had a horrific Seagate USB drive failure (this was long before my NAS and on it I had all my vacation photos over the years). I even sent the drive to Seagate for them to forensically recover whatever they could...but they said they could not. :crying:

That's when I vowed "never" to buy Seagate again, so I switched to WD. It has been about 8 years and I still haven't gotten over that loss. :(

But I appreciate the link. Thanks a lot!

11. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    You're going to have failures regardless of what manufacturer you choose. That's what RAID is for. :)

Somewhere someone said they were using the new RED WD drives in the same enclosure. I can't find the thread though.

12. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    I know...I wasn't angry at Seagate because the drive crashed; I was angry that they themselves couldn't recover one single file! Not even one!!! :( :)

Yes, I know it's different in a RAID setup, so that's why I appreciate your link.

I, too, saw that post on my mobile while travelling, but after powering back on, I can't find it again.

13. RunnerFL

Jan 4, 2006
    Here it is. He never reported back on his capacity though.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=3144003&postcount=2434

I know I have 2 of the older versions of the enclosure that only support up to 2TB drives but I also have one that supports 3TB drives. If it's the newer one it will support 3TB and USB 3.0.

14. nuspieds

nuspieds Legend

Aug 9, 2008
    Great! Thanks again! I really appreciate it.

Per their web page, the latest model does support up to 2x3TB.

15. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Every single Seagate SATA drive (500GB, 1TB, 1.5TB and 2TB) I have used in a HR2x unit all failed within 1 year or less of install.

I have yet to have 1 failure with the 2.0TB WD Drive most recommend even though they have been installed roughly 2 1/2 years (though I realize I have just condemed myself to several failures rather soon by posting this).

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    When it comes to Hard Disk Drives...you virtually have to narrow discussions, reviews, and comparisons down to specific models.

There are bad Seagates, bad Western Digitals, bad Maxtors, bad Toshibas, and so on. All of those manufacturers also have successful and trouble-free models.

Drives with a cache >32GB, >5400 RPM, and power conservation controls tend to experience less problems in an HD DVR...but not every/make model.

These days...there are new generation Hard Drives specifically designed for DVRs...and that's the direction to follow to minimize "issues" for the most part.

Since these units are generally leased...the external eSata drive power case units also come into play.