Need some Receiver advice

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by jim1053, Oct 15, 2020.

1. jim1053

jim1053 New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Bought a Home in the woods, 2 OTA channels, 2mbs LTE. So I cleared enough Trees to see 110 and 119. The Eastern band and 129 are completely out of sight. Dish Techs tell Me none of the Receivers they have will clear the Switch test without 129. So what are the best DUAL Tuner HD Receivers I can buy and activate using My Self installed Dual LNB Antenna. Any advice on a safe place to purchase the Receiver would also be much appreciated.
    Many Thanks in Advance!!!!
    Jim

2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Wally or 211 series; any place, just get S/N of it and its card and call CSR to check for activation; be sure the seller could accept a return in case of any serious problem.

I would retry to cut trees/branches to get LOS to 129W...

3. Alsat

Alsat AllStar

Jun 30, 2004
    I currently am using a 211 with a single lnb dish pointed to 110, with a dish 500 pointed at 119/129 because I cannot find a spot that I can get all three with a dish 1000. The two dishes are about 50ft apart from each other. If you can find a spot to see 129, you can add a second dish and a switch to add that satellite, it does not need to be in the same spot.

4. jim1053

jim1053 New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Hey P Smith, thanks for getting back to Me, the trees blocking 129 are on someone else property, So, there are no DUAL tuner HD Receivers that will work without 129.
    Thanks
    Jim

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Any chance to install second dish [mono DP LNBF] for 129W somewhere on your property or on top of your chimney ? ;)

6. jim1053

jim1053 New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Hey Alsat, didn't even know You could do that, I've had Dish Techs on My property twice and they never mentioned this as a possibility. So you could use any Receiver with this setup. P Smith, yes from the southern end of my roof I can see 129 but 110 goes away, I have to go off the roof to see 110 and 119, Is there a distance limitation between Antennas, it's like 80 feet.

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    80 feet is nothing. The distances you should be comparing are from each LNB to each receiver.

A tech from an independent dealer should be able to set this up. Set up the one dish for 119/110, and then one for 129. After this there should be an sat in port on the 119/110 LNB. After you run the cables from the Dish to your reciever, then do a check switch should find all 3 slots.

If you could find a Dish500 with a DishPro Plus LNB, that would handle 110/119 and it has an input port. However, I don't know what kind of LNB for 129 you would need.

BTW - what TV market for locals are you in ? It makes a difference as to which arc you need to see. Zip code would be better if you don't know.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    DP LNBF

9. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    About the Dual tuner without 129 - so far as I know, no 129 = very little HD programming on Western Arc. Just about everything on 110 /119 is SD only, with very few exceptions. There exists the possibility of no locals without 129.

Dish SD programming generally looks pretty good, even on an HD TV.

So - combining P Smith's comment, what you need for a split dish setup
    Dish500 Dish, with a DPP (DishProPlus) TWIN LNBF
    standard 18 inch dish with a DishPro single or Dual LNBF for 129. You could substitute another Dish500 and use the DishPro single or Dual (but NOT another Twin !)
    This can handle 2 Recievers that have dual tuners. If you want 3 or 4 receivers, replace the DPP TWIN with 2 DishPro single or Duals and add a DPP33 (for 3) or a DPP44 (up to 4) receivers.

Hopper / Joey with your situation - When Dish first introduced the Hopper, they had a hub that would take a DishPro or DPP and convert it into a setup for the Hopper / Joey. I'm not sure if that is still available.

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    DISH offered a 24" dish specifically for 129W (back when the previous satellite at that slot was "wobbling") that you may be able to get your hands on. It came with a DishPro LNB assembly that would be cabled into a DishPro+ Twin LNB on a DISH 500.

11. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    as the techs won't say anything about using seperate dishes for satellites. they just want to get in get the job done so they can get paid and move on to the next job as they get paid by the job

12. jim1053

jim1053 New Member

Oct 14, 2020
    Krel, that's exactly the deal, that's why they sent a second crew out, I called and told them the first crew was more interested in getting the 5 room install they had to get done that day.
    I scored a complete Dish 500 from an old neighbor last night, He went to Cable because He had to much trouble maintaining a signal from the Satellites, well as we were removing the Dish, the pole it was mounted on broke where it goes into the ground, turns out the thing had been rusting and moving for years.
    I think I have a hookup on another no longer used dish 500 in my old neighborhood, will that work ok for 129?
    Also, any recommendations for a non Hopper Dual Tuner Receiver, or should I just let Dish provide the Hopper?
    thanks Guys
    Jim

13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    see post#2

14. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You need to make sure the second dish isn't picking up 119W as that may confuse things.

Be careful with building a system out of Frankenparts as you never really know whether the parts are 100%.

15. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    You need to be significantly more specific about what you require as "non-Hopper" covers at least three decidedly different HD receivers.

What is it that you're trying to avoid by not getting a Hopper?

16. renegade

renegade Cool Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Perhaps the excessive FEES associated with such a receiver? Just guessing, of course ...

17. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'd rather know from the TS exactly what's in play before offering a recommendation based on "reasonable assumptions".

I've been surprised more than once by what motivates people; especially when it comes to truly saving money.