1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need tips on running cable through brick

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by trucker, Aug 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trucker

trucker Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    I'll be installing pole mount for au9 dish and running cables through outside wall on my ranch house to the basement. I know they make long masonary bits in smaller sizes but then what? Would I have to chisel the rest to get a 1-1.5" or so hole? Any ideas or tips would be very much appreciated.

2. HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I don't have alot of experience w/ how large of a drill bit is available for brick. However, simply drilling multiple holes may be the best and easiest solution.

Let us know what you do.

3. 69hokie

69hokie Icon

Sep 23, 2006
    Drill through the mortor joint, much easier and less likely to crack the brick. Depending on how high you are drilling, expect to either run into block or wood on the other side of the brick. I drilled mine thorugh the mortor joint at a point above the block and foundation plate through the end cap of a floor joist. I used a 5/16 masonary bit for the mortor about 6" long, drilled four holes adjacent to each other and worked the bit back and forth until I essentially had a slot for 4 wires with some wiggle room. I then used a long wood drill bit the same size to drill the same through the floor joist. Closed it up using cement caulk after installation was complete.

4. trucker

trucker Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    First of all thanks for your help with everything. Well after roaming around home depot for a while I found a 1" masonary bit and several smaller sizes.

I am planning on drilling through the mortar, working up to the 1" bit which I will work around/move around untill I get about a 1 and 1/4" size hole.

I then plan on cuttling a piece of grey pvc and sliding into the hole and attaching a 90 deg. bend to another 90 deg. bend (think bakwards S) which will run to a straight section(buried of course) out to my pole mount.....SWEET!

5. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    I don't do alot of drilling thru brick walls, but isn't drilling the the mortor joints alot tougher than the brick itself?

6. trucker

trucker Cool Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Hi sportsfan, I'm not really sure but every other hole in my house is started through the mortar...Sprinkler system cable, air cond. etc.. Maybe because the brick is more brittle?

7. MattG

MattG Legend

Dec 30, 2003
    Be sure to use an impact drill with those masonry bits otherwise it won't work. The best approach is to drill four 5/16" inch holes through the mortar spaced about an inch apart in my opinion.

8. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    I always go through the mortar. Much easier.

Anyway, I make a 1/4 or 3/8 pilot depending on how hard the mortar is. Then step up to the next bit. 1/4 bits are much cheaper than the 3/8 or 3/4.

If needed I step up to a 3/4. I can fit two strands of dual RG6 through that hole.

Good luck, drilling through masonry is a PITA. :(

9. HDTVsportsfan

Nov 29, 2005
    Maybe i had that backwards then.

10. Mike500

Mike500 Hall Of Fame

May 10, 2002
    My method is shown in the attached photo. Just drill with a 1/2 inch sds hammer drill a two inch slot in the horizontal motar joint. Cables loop down to joint inside and outside to avoid water entry. Entry point is sealed with a little bit of silicone.

Attached Files:

11. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Just to add the obvious, it is much easier to buy a compression kit to put the ends on after, than to drill the holes big enough for pre-made cables. Anyway, you can find 12" long concrete bits at the major home repair stores. They will rip through wood as well as concrete. They just will not leave a pretty hole on the far side. A hammer drill is preferred.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.