1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to Move Slimline Off Railing Mount. Solutions?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TheFeez, Feb 21, 2013.

1. TheFeez

TheFeez New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I live in a 3rd floor apartment and currently have my dish mount bolted around the railing supports of my balcony. Our apartment complex recently changed their rules (or more accurately, the complex got a new property management company that started adamantly enforcing all the "official" old rules), and has issued strongly-worded letters to all the units that currently have dishes secured to their railings in any way demanding that they remove\unsecure them from the railings. They're not requiring the dish be removed altogether in violation of OTARD, just that its mounting not be attached to the railing in any manner, be it bolts\straps\what have you.

What are my options here for supporting a dish of that size\weight without being able to sink a pole into the ground? Does anyone have any recommendations for a non-penetrative tripod or other kind of mount that I could just sit on the floor of my balcony and ballast with cinder blocks or something else heavy? Or am I kind of relegated to a large container and a bunch of quick-dry cement? I'd like to avoid that if possible, because my wife and I will be moving out this summer and moving a couple hundred pound block of concrete off our balcony when we move doesn't sound enjoyable.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
  3. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
  4. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
  5. TheFeez

TheFeez New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    Yeah, that's part of my concern with getting the "just right" mount. We have a long\low eave over our balcony, so I need to get the height of the dish set on the new mount so that it just barely has LOS over the railing but still is pointing below the eave. Our railing is exactly 3 feet high, so if that has a 3 foot mast it would be perfect.

6. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    The eave is messing with me too. The best I can do is a 77 signal from 101. HD sats are 60's so I know she will get a lot of rain fade but she is happy for now.

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    My "railing" is more of a wall, so when DirecTV installed the mount, it had to be set back a bit from the "railing", which is a good 42". I've since added a 12" extension to the mast and been able to move it right up to the railing.
    Since there is a offset on the dish, even when it looks like it's pointing "at the railing" it really isn't and is about 15-20º higher. The bottom of my LNB is right at the railing.

8. TheFeez

TheFeez New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I ended up ordering the base you linked to. What did you do for an extension? After measuring it there's a decent chance that for ideal placement I need to extend the default J-mount by another 6" or so (24" total height).

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The mast is 2" OD, so I used a tube/pipe from a muffler shop.

10. pdxBeav

pdxBeav Godfather

Jul 5, 2007
    Not the most elegant solution, but in the past I've put a post in a 5-gallon bucket full of concrete. Doesn't take up a lot of space and has worked for me for a couple of temporary installations. Not as stable as the commercial products, but good enough and cheap. Also, it's very easy to move with a hand truck.

11. TheFeez

TheFeez New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I figured as much, I guess the question I was more interested in was how you connected the two in a way that was stable and secure.

Thanks for the responses.

12. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I had the extension "stretched" at the muffler shop to fit over the mast.
    I then tack welded it to the mast, but screws, pop rivets, or a clamp can be used.

13. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Or if this is too much bother for you, you may consider dispensing with the muffler shop stretched and welded 2" OD pipe for an adapter and use the J mount mast in the NPM with this "over-the-lip" type 2" OD pipe adapter here;

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as....65-to-2-Outer-Diameter-Wild-Blue-Compatible-

Its labeled 1.65" to 2," but should certainly slide over the lip of a 2" OD pipe just as well.

14. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    That isn't a way "I'd go".
    If you're going to a muffler shop, take the 2" mast with you and have them "flare" the end of the pipe you're buying. They can make it fit much better than the part above. A clamp or screws will then secure it to the mast.
    I had mine tack welded only because it was free and easier than finding a clamp or screws. :lol:

15. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    I admit I've only seen this o-t-l adapter used for adapting a large 3.5" OD mast for a former C band BUD that has a thicker outer to inner diameter, but still can't see why it wouldn't suffice for the less thicker 2" OD J mount mast in the NPM as well for a quick alternative solution, though technically at least less sturdy than the muffler shop approach.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I haven't used it, so maybe it will work, but what I don't like:
    it has a large split and you need to stretch it by 3/8th of an inch to get over the 2" OD, which will end up a taper.
    The muffler pipe expanded doesn't taper, and [mine] has a good 2" of snug "overlap", so the screw/clamp is mostly a secondary securing to keep it from rotating.