Need to upgrade HD_DVR

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by RipleyK, Oct 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RipleyK

RipleyK Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    I have an older HR21-100 and just got a new 4K Samsung TV. (I do not care about the 4K but the picture quality was best for our price point).

When we connected the TV, sat 2 in (error 771) appeared. After snugging up the connections to the DVR and B-band converters, I got signal back. Then I moved the DVR 1/2" over and lost sat 2 again and cannot get it back.

I called DTV and they need to do a service call.
    • Should I ask for new HD-DVR and if so, which one? This one is in the bedroom and the only thing attached to it is internet and the TV. There's also a BluRay attached to TV but this is all relatively low tech as it's for TV watching before bed.
    • The kicker is that the DVR is in a closet so we need an RF remote. We have the current DTV RF remote but it is sooo slow- even with new batteries.
    • Can I keep this remote with a new DVR?
    • Can the old remote be sped up somehow to reduce lag time?
    Which HD-DVR: HR24 or Genie?

Our other DVR is an HR-24 in our family room. It does the bulk of our TV watching and is connected to a home theater system, Apple TV and gaming devices. We use a Harmony remote with this TV and components (all hidden in media closet) and it works great.

We are 12+ year customers of DTV (if that matters).

Thanks!

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Get a Genie. HR44/54 to replace that HR21. Keep in mind if this is your only received you will still have to pay the whole home DVR fee. If you want 4K then you an HR54 along with a C61K and the Ultimate or Premier package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I agree. Get a Genie to replace your HR21. But keep the HR24. Unless you're upgrading to 4K. Don't let them convince you to 'upgrade' your HR24 to a mini.

The MRV/Whole home fee (required once you get a Genie), is $3 per month. You'll really enjoy having the ability to watch the 'bulk' of your recordings in another location. And you can even move the HR21 to the Family room, put the HR24 in the bedroom and let DIRECTV connect the Genie in your family room.

4. RipleyK

RipleyK Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    Thanks. So, to clarify:
    1. Get a new Genie HR44 (costs $3 more/month) to replace HR-21
    2. Let the DTV service tech put Genie in the family room- most used room
    3. Let DirecTV service tech move the current HR-24 to the bedroom.
    A few follow ups:
    1. Do I need to let DTV know in advance of these changes?
    2. Will I need to change an LNB (not sure what this is but saw it mentioned in another thread).
    3. Will the current RF remote we use on the HR21 work for the HR24?
    4. Any way to decrease lag time on the remote?
    5. We pay a lot for Total Choice package, 2 DVRs and HD service. Now we are adding $3/mo. Any suggestions for reductions in pricing?

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    1. No, the tech should be able to handle this.
    2. If this needs to happen the tech will do it (the LNB is the "knob" at the end of the arm on the dish).
    3. Yes (but not for the HR44)
    4. The HR24 should be more responsive than the HR21, and the HR44 will be faster than the HR24.
    5. Ask the CSR if they can do anything for you. But it isn't likely if you do an upgrade to an HR44 and have a 2 year commitment.

6. RipleyK

RipleyK Mentor

Sep 25, 2007
    Thank you!

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Before you leave, a couple points about "add ons" to let you really enjoy that new 4K TV: I use an Apple TV 4 for NF and HBO Now, the picture you'll get off that or a similar streaming box (such as a Fire TV or a Roku 4) will be much better than D*s PQ. Your Samsung TV will upscale 1080p to give you that really good PQ when using a streamer. We hardly watch any D* content except for sports (9 HRs, all with large internal HDDs and we just don't use them), just because we get such superb PQ from the streamers.

You'll also get a superb picture when using your TV's built in apps, altho the Amazon Prime UI is slow and clunky compared to what you can get with a streaming box. NF is NF on both streamers and the built in apps. You will also find many 4K series and movies on AP and NF. In any event, what you want to get that really good PQ is at least a 1080p source as opposed to the 1080i and 720p that D* delivers.

Rich

8. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Actually yes. Tech or order will be build with only a swap instead of a swap relocate. Otherwise the tech will have to waste time to get the WO corrected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks Peds - to RipleyK, call and have the work order modified to specify the details you want.