need to vent about rain fade

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by loki993, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Jun 2, 2009 #1 of 11
    loki993

loki993 Mentor

Apr 1, 2009
    Ive had ,y Dish for about 3 months now and Im fairly happy with it. I have one EXTREMELY aggravating problem though. we've had 2 what I would call mild to moderate thunderstorms. BOTH time we lost signal for extended periods of time. I keep hearing that satellite has the most reliable signal, but the fact is when I had cable we would get some signal degradation at times, but I think I can only remember one time we completely lost signal and I had it for over 4 years. I really hope this is only a fluke, otherwise I will be extremely disappointing if we loose our tv every time it storms, I already am a bit disappointing with what is happening at the moment.

2. Jun 2, 2009 #2 of 11
    FastNOC

FastNOC Godfather

Sep 11, 2007
    there are extenuating circumstances if you lose your link on moderate storms.

You might want to have your dish checked for alignment. Or you may have some obstruction that only comes into play while there are other issues.

I say this because what they say is right. With an unobstructed view, and a correctly aligned dish, you will rarely lose your signal.

3. Jun 2, 2009 #3 of 11
    david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    I have to agree with this. I had a new HD wing dish installed in December and was agravated over the next several months at the signal loss from moderate snow and rain fade. Been with Sat for 13 years so I know when the signal should go out. I would normally go out a couple times a summer during extremely heavy thunderstorms and was never out for more than 5 to 10 minutes unless the power was out of course. After the HD install the signal was dropping sometimes when is was barely misting. So DISH tech came out and discovered that dish was pointed toward trees and when it got cloudy or windy it would be enough to drop the signal when combined with the loss from the trees. They moved the dish and we have had only one signal drop during a very heavy T-storm and only for a few minutes. Last I had cable I would lose my signal much more often and for longer durations than I have in 13 years with DISH. I would suggest getting a tech out there ASAP to diagnose the trouble. It will stop a lot of frustration. Hope this helps.

4. Jun 2, 2009 #4 of 11
    TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    FWIW, I had both a DISH500 system and a DTV Phase III antenna and subscribed to both services for a time in 2004. I installed both dishes myself, and kept them closely aligned, with full LOS. The DTV dish greatly outperformed the DISH antenna during rain storms. I could lose the signal for 45 minutes on DISH while experiencing not even a minor glitch on DTV. The difference was astounding. Realignment made no difference.

Moving from the Phase III to the Slimline (DISH now out of the picture) I now get numbers even 15 points higher than I did with the Phase III (as measured by the exact same DVR).

Conclusion: If concerned about rain fade, go to DirecTV, where there is considerably less of it, at least in my experience.

5. Jun 2, 2009 #5 of 11
    Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Call dish, have the tech peak the dish better. Or tweak it yourself if possible.

Or upgrade to a bigger dish :D

6. Jun 2, 2009 #6 of 11
    bobukcat

bobukcat Hall Of Fame

Dec 20, 2005
    I would have to believe that the differences between the two would very much depend on what part of the country you're in and therefore what satellites you sub to. For instance there were lots of complaints from people on the 129 sub while it was weak and on it's last legs, now that it's been replaced you don't see those complaints anymore. My neighbor has D* and we almost always lose signal during the same storms, the timing may vary because we are pointed at different sections of the sky but for the most part if I lose mine he loses his, and vice-versa.

7. Jun 2, 2009 #7 of 11
    kucharsk

kucharsk Godfather

Sep 19, 2006
    The bottom line is the frequency used by DBS birds is subject to rain fade.

Rain fade will be worse with the newer multi-LNB dishes than even the old Dish 500 dishes as seen by the reduced signal level from a peaked 1000+ dish vs. a 500.

If your signal is peaked, the only alternative is to use a larger antenna.

The use of multiple 24" dishes would just about obviate rain fade even in the strongest storms but would you be willing to mount the array?

8. Jun 2, 2009 #8 of 11
    loki993

loki993 Mentor

Apr 1, 2009
    I guess Ill get someone out the take a look, but I was there when he installed it, I work with the guy that sells dish in town so I know the installer, and I believe I had signals in the mid 70s. Ill see if he can talk a look.

9. Jun 2, 2009 #9 of 11
    harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What are your signal levels now?

Things settle over time and it usually isn't for the better.

10. GrumpyBear

GrumpyBear Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    check signal like others say, and call dish to get a tech out as well. Rain/Snow fade can happen. Up here in Couer D Alene ID, we recieved 2ft of snow in 24hours and 80inches in 10days, of wet and heavy snow, and never lost signal once. This is an area were 129 is always low as well.

11. loki993

loki993 Mentor

Apr 1, 2009
    I checked the signal, its in the 50s!! thats for 129. can I switch and check the other birds without messing anything up?

im going to have to get someone out here.