Need upgradng advice

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by champion6, Sep 16, 2016.

1. champion6

champion6 Cool Member

Dec 6, 2004
    I currently have 2 Hoppers and 3 Joeys. I record on one Hopper, wife records on the other (a lot!). Do not need 4K.

My wife wants Netflix, so I need a Hopper w/Sling or a Hopper 3.

Do I need two HwS or two H3?

Do I keep the Joeys if I get an H3?

To be honest, the HDTV my wife watches is about 8 years old. I'm considering replacing it with a Smart TV and leave the Dish equipment alone.

Thoughts?

2. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You're not going to get two Hopper 3 from Dish. I suppose you might be able to buy one, but I don't know if Dish will activate a second one on an account or not... but with 16 tuners, I don't think you should need one in the same way you might need two Hopper/Hopper w/ Sling.

The Joeys can be kept (although if you have an older Joey they will upgrade them to newer ones with a Hopper 3 installation).

Depending on how much you record... just having one Hopper 3 could manifest as reduced storage space as compared to two Hoppers... but if you watch them rather than keeping programs, you might still be fine... or you might be able to use an External hard drive for the stuff you want to keep longer.

3. champion6

champion6 Cool Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Thanks for your thoughtful response.

Regarding an EHD for a Hopper 3, I would go with a 2TB model. Do I need an EHD with an external power source? Is USB-powered OK?

4. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Dish says powered EHD, but the USB3 port on the Hopper3 has enough amperage to charge the HopperGo, so it might work just fine with a USB powered drive. You could also use a powered USB hub and connect up to 3 EHDs to one USB port.

5. champion6

champion6 Cool Member

Dec 6, 2004
    My Joeys are 1.0 Can I assume that these are the older ones? What version are the newer ones?

6. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Joey 2.0's or Joey 4k's are needed for use with the Hopper 3 system.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Already beaten to the answers by others! So, yeah... your Joeys would be upgraded (replaced) and you would need to either have an externally-powered hard drive OR connect to a powered USB-hub. Even in cases where the Dish receiver seems to provide enough power to run a USB-powered hard drive, it is not supported by Dish because they don't intend for it to work and they don't test/fix problems that arise.