1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Needed---Networking for Dummies

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by drpjr, Jul 12, 2010.

1. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    And the Dummie would be me. I have managed to set up a hardwired LAN that has been so far flawless. It is all plug and play and has many components. My problem is anything that is not stupid simple I get lost easily. I have C* internet right now and wish to test drive AT&T Elite internet. I would like to play with AT&T for a short time during the day and go back to C* for the rest of the time so as not to upset email and the wife until I have gotten a good feel for AT&T.

My questions are:

1. Will each modem automatically reasign a new IP address to the router each time a modem switch is made or will I have to reboot/reset the router also?

2. If the IP address to the router is changed does the router have to reassign IPs to the items on the LAN?

3. Are there any quirks in either system that requires any router/computer settings to be changed when switching between the two? (excluding email)

4. Anyone have any comments about either of the two services?

I'm pretty sure I know the answers to the questions but I'm looking for some reassurance that I'm not going to create an unknown issue I can't easily fix.

Please advise if more detail of my LAN and equipment is needed. TIA, Don

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    You shouldn't have any external IP problems when you reconnect each router. If each router gets an internal IP of 192.168.1.1, and all of your devices have IP addresses of 192.168.1.x, they would be fine. Skipping over the complicated setups, your subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0. Both routers would need to have the same IP to not have to reset the individual systems network settings (gateway, DNS etc.)

Thinking I may have gone a bit over the top. The subnet mask will likely be the default so it probably won't even be an issue. Biggest thing is that the routers and modem get the same internal IP.

3. funhouse69

funhouse69 Icon

Mar 26, 2007
    Why not just connect a single computer to the new AT&T Service for now / testing, it will get a new IP Address from the AT&T Router and you will be all set.

On the other hand without making the complicated at all you will be able to switch between the two services all you have to do is power off both your router and the cable modem, power on the cable modem, wait a few minutes for the LED's to turn green then power on your router and it will get the IP it needs from the Cable Modem.

You don't need to change anything internally that is still handled by your router and its on the inside network will again hasn't changed at all so you should be all set there.

This should be pretty straight forward and easy to do without many complications as long as you power cycle the devices in the right order otherwise you might not get the IP from the new Modem you are connected to which means you won't be able to surf the net. If that happens try resetting them again in the proper order and you should be ok (Cable Modem off / Router off, cable modem on for say a minute then router on).

Hope this helps.

4. drpjr

drpjr Icon

Nov 23, 2007
    Sakatomatoes...
    It doesn't take much to be over the top to me. The only thing I know about the gateway,DNS and subnet are that they exist.:lol: I have no idea what they do or affect. Did you mean I wouldn't have any problems when I reconnect each modem (not router)? All of my devices do have IP address of 192.168.1.x.
    I was going to try that as I have two PC's on the network but I want to see how AT&T reacts with several things going on at the same time, surfing, VOD and an ADT alarm.

This is extremely helpful. Last night I created a problem while preparing for the switch-over that I believe would have been prevented had I followed your advice.

The AT&T modem/router has a very large wall plug. As I was trying to make room on the power strip I believe I caused my router to reset. As a result I had no Internet connection. The LAN worked properly. I then reset the router and modem several times both individualy and together. I did not pay any attention to the order. I still had no internet.

I then went into the router and looked at the client/IP list . There was nothing in the list. That only added to my confusion. After more resets I went back into the list and found my TV listed. Being a bit encouraged I hit the refresh tab and lost the TV listing. More resets. Back into the router and found an HR and B-R listed. Refresh. Gone.

At this point being totally discouraged I turned on all devices and checked LAN. All LAN devices worked as normal. Let everything rest about an hour, reset the router and modem again (must have been in the right order) and internet is back.

I rechecked the client list and everything was listed. There were a couple of oddities. A few of the devices had swapped IP addresses. And there was an IP address for an HR20 that was replaced six months ago.:eek2: I have deleted this a couple of times before but it keeps coming back.:confused: Is it unusual for devices to get new IP addresses after a reset? And how does a device that's not even connected get an IP address? Again TIA for any imput.