NESN question

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by krel, Aug 14, 2020.

1. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i am wonndering why i am getting a 721 error msg when ever channel 628 has a red sox game on there. i know that the 721 msg means it's not in my package and i don't pay for it. well i have the premere package and it's included in it. the funny thing is once the game is over then the channel goes back to normal. if the game is blacked out in my area i would get the black out msg and the genie will look for the game elsewhere. is it trying to tell me i need the MLB ticket to watch the game on another channel or is it another screwup on there part as far as how the genie is programmed

2. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    Is it a replay ? Replays are blackout if its not your local RSN

I just tried and got blackout message I believe it's a replay.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

krel likes this.
  3. krel

krel New Member

Mar 20, 2013
    i just don't get the 721 telling me it's not included in my packageo_O. though if att did anything right to benefit the consumer it would be a miracle

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    The RSN package does not include out of market games. It never has. You would need Extra Innings to watch Live Red Sox outside of the DMA

Dishdude714 and dtv757 like this.
  5. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    You are mad at the wrong people. The sports blackout rules have been the same for decades. They have applied through multiple owners of DirecTV, and are EXACTLY the same on other providers, including MLB.TV app.

Here goes:

Except for some rural residents in places claimed by teams in different cities, most every one gets ONE AND ONLY ONE set of teams and the regional sports network(s) covering those teams. For example, if you live in northern California, you will get the channels covering the SF-OAK teams. These channels will include the games of the Giants, As, Sharks, Warriors, etc.

The "premiere package" and any other package that gives you out-of-market RSNs includes these channels, WITH ALL MLB, NHL, NBA, MLS, AND SOME OTHER PRO SPORTS LIVE GAMES, and WITH ALL MLB RERUNS, blacked out. Getting other places' RSNs, called the "sports pack" (except for the aforementioned rural residents stuck in-between different cities) will NOT YIELD ANY MORE PRO SPORTS.

Thus, unless you live in ME, VT, NH, MA, RI, or CT, you are getting exactly what you paid for and exactly what the material said you would get when you signed up. Unless you live in the Red Sox' zone, the only way to get the games is to buy MLB Extra Innings, or the similar package for phones and such called MLB.TV.

Nothing to do with AT&T. They are just following the rules set up by MLB, and the other leagues.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  6. jrb

jrb New Member

Jan 7, 2008
    Good year to not watch the Red Sox (from a fellow fan).... That said, SamC above is correct in what he posted.

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Oh, I have seen some Red Sox games and really enjoyed them this year. Last night's game was simply wonderful.

Rich

TJNash likes this.
  8. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    The reason you see the 721 message instead of the regular blackout message is because the games are mirrored for EI customers and the RSN feed. It is telling you to subscribe to the package because that is how to watch it. The replays will show the regular blackout message because the EI replays are all online.

With premier you can watch regular season NHL replays on many RSN channels, but not other sports.

If you had MLB EI, you could watch the Red Sox on NESN (live games) and the EI channel in the 700s. Same with all teams. Your home team or teams would be blacked out in the 700s and only available on your local RSN. Therefore, when your home team plays the Red Sox, you must watch your local RSN. National broadcasts like ESPN Sunday are not part of EI. Others like FS1, TBS, ESPN Weekday,and MLBN are.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2020
    krel, dtv757 and HGuardian like this.