Netflix comes to Dish!!

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by lparsons21, Dec 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
  2. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Working Link

Netflix comes to Dish TV's set-top boxes

Not all conventional TV providers are at odds with Netflix. Dish just announced that its second-generation Hopper DVRs (and eventually Joeys) are getting an integrated Netflix app starting today. Yes, you can now jump from satellite broadcasts to internet streaming without switching devices. The interface will be familiar if you've used Netflix elsewhere, but Dish hopes to one day integrate Netflix's library into search results -- you could find House of Cards sitting next to recordings and Dish's own internet services....

Full Story Here

[​IMG]

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I will be interesting to see what impact, if any, this has on Dish's income from PPV's and premium movie channels.

4. nmetro

nmetro Godfather

Jul 11, 2006
    Nice. Add Hulu+ and you have two top streaming services available just a button away.

5. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    Smart move, Dish.

Too bad it's restricted to the hopper.

1 person likes this.
  6. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    It is restricted to the Hopper w/Sling. Won't work on the original Hopper.

I just tested it out and it does work, but like most apps is very slow to get going.

7. allen98311

allen98311 AllStar

Jan 18, 2006
    Glad to have it! It is a little sluggish compared to the roku 3, not that bad though. No Dolby digital plus so no surround sound :(

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Seems like there must be some behind the scenes money changing hands for this... And dish and it's over the top service may all be linked. Very interesting indeed.

9. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Netflix on the Tivos is a great feature. Dish subscribers will be happy.
    Not sure why it would be slow, sure isn't slow on any Roamio or mini.

10. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    However it isn't 1080p and not Dolby 5.1. That is a no go for me

11. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Yes, I have Netflix also on the Roku. The problem with streaming Netflix, the Netflix library is not big enough. There are so many TV shows and movies that a person can get on disc, that are not on the streaming side.

12. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    I have Two of the old Hoppers that can't do Netflix.
    Looks like I need to wait a month to see if the new Super Hopper or Hopper Streamer or something new comes out at CES. If not ,then I need to upgrade to the Hopper with Sling.
    I suggest everyone wait a few weeks before upgrading the title for the CES press release is something like Make Higher Def more easy. Could that be 4K and Voice controls and adding Amazon Prime?
    Who knows, Just rumors for CES

13. cypherx

cypherx Hall Of Fame

Aug 27, 2010
    PA - Berks...
    Didn't someone awhile back uncover a netflix hit in DirecTV's smart search?

14. DBSSTEPHEN

DBSSTEPHEN Legend

Oct 13, 2009
    SALEM,MISSOU...
    That was me that found it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. patmurphey

patmurphey Godfather

Dec 21, 2006
    Hopper with Sling AND useable broadband are needed for this app. If you want 4k, just get the TV and 25mbps broadband (with generous data limits). The smart TVs have Netflix, Amazon Prime and voice control features built in. 4k is delivered via Internet (hard wired is best). While I'm watching a Dish program on my Samsung, I can press the smart hub button and point the "Tinker Bell" at Netlix or Amazon icons and I'm on their menu with 4k shows available. 4k shows load and stream in seconds. This Hopper app arrangement is going to be much slower (even for 1080) and can't compete with smart TVs until new HDMI standards are finalized and the new hardware is built in. (My Roku 3 is gathering dust now.)

16. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Is there a good technical reason that the original Hopper can't do it?

17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Just a guess, but probably not enough horsepower.

18. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Usually its a CPU/horsepower issue. Could also be a RAM issue. I don't actually know how the Hopper 2 stacks up with the original Hopper outside of having the built-in Sling capability and built-in WiFi. They may have considerably boosted performance in other areas.

I would expect that they tested Netflix with the original Hopper and found it insufficient. This doesn't feel like an arbitrary restriction to push people to Hopper 2 because last I was aware you could get multiple Hoppers but still not get multiple Hopper 2 on your account... so I have to think that IF the original Hopper supported this, they would love to roll it out that way.

19. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Very possible, with all the other stuff it's doing at the same time. It's hard to not think of it as "if an Amazon TV stick can do it..." but then that stick is basically only doing that one thing at that time.

But, at least it's possible to upgrade from an original to a 2, and that they aren't considered "functionally equivalent".

20. dennispap

dennispap Icon

Feb 1, 2007
    I think The CPU on the 1st generation Hopper does not support the encryption Netflix uses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.