Netflix facing a content shortage????

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by phrelin, Aug 31, 2020.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    According to this Cord Cutters News article Netflix is Positioned to Lose 2 Million Subscribers Quarterly Over Lack of New Content.

Really?

For me Netflix is the always there streaming channel. I keep accidentally discovering Netflix programming I haven't seen.

My problem is that it is impossible to watch the thousands of episodes of TV series and movies I haven't seen that I might actually enjoy. Ironically, new content doesn't always fall into content I might actually enjoy.

What don't I understand?

2. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Because if there is no new programming that means NETFLIX is saving a boatload of money but we in turn are not saving a boatload of money.

harsh likes this.
  3. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I read that yesterday and thought the same thing. I’ve never found a single time I went to Netflix and couldn’t find something I hadn’t seen yet and lots of it very interesting.

Rich likes this.
  4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Netflix failing would make a few people happy. Not the people that enjoy NF, the haters that have to hate things others enjoy. Or are too dumb to take advantage of what Netflix can do for our viewing pleasure. I always find interesting content on NF, can't imagine being without it.

Rich

5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    That's what the analysts say. Netflix says they expect to gain 2.5 million customers per quarter (instead of 10 million). So I suppose that is a trigger for gloom and doom.

It would be horrible if Netflix lost 2 million subscribers a quarter At that rate they would be out of subscribers in ... 24 years. :D

lparsons21 likes this.
  6. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This was expected. With all the new SVOD services coming online the content had to be spread out between them.

Rich

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    They'll surely win over subs with Oscar winning content like The Package which is about 4 drunk/high teens on a camping trip and one is playing with a butterfly knife and accidentally cuts off his, yup, you guessed it, package. Hilarity ensues as the other 3 manage to call air rescue and put the package on ice while they wait. Yup, you guessed it, the medivac chopper arrives and air lifts the victim out, but accidentally takes the cooler filled with beer.

8. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Nashville, TN
    I often just found myself scrolling, scrolling, scrolling, not seeing much that looked interesting enough to watch. Don't get me wrong, a few of my favorite shows in the past few years have been on Netflix. But for me, it's a few gems in a sea of blah. I guess all SVODs are that way to some extent, but because of the large volume of blah on Netflix, it's more that way for me.

When's the next season of The Crown coming out? That's probably when I'll re-subscribe.

9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I watch a lot of action, sci-fi and police stuff so Netflix always has something interesting. And I fairly often just pick something at random and am often surprised to find the show interesting. I used to do the same thing at the library for books, just grab something and read it.

No idea on The Crown as I didn’t find it interesting.