Netflix issues

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by n3vino, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Sep 8, 2019 #1 of 12
    n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    My smart tv and/or my 4k player would lock while watching Netflix. Now I use a Roku strick + and Netflix keeps disconnecting. Amazon and Hulu work just fine. Does anyone know what is happening with Netflix. My ISP is ATT DSL and I have enough speed to stream via wifi. Thanks in advance.

2. Sep 9, 2019 #2 of 12
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Don't see any problems here with NF. I don't use any Rokus, tho. But you use the NF app on your new TV and still see lockups? I don't know what "4K player" means, guessing a 4K disc player...and that locks up NF? You might not have enough speed from that DSL.

Rich

3. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    Netlfix doesn't buffer so I think I have enough speed. It locks up with TV, and 4K disck player. But on Roku it disconnects. It seems that the problems started when I went up to ATT internet 24 from internet 18. ATT has been here twice. First one swapped out the Gateway, and 2nd just reset it. It seems to work for a day and then it goes back to the same problem. Netflix had me disconnect power from devices and that didn't help anything. That's what everybody's solution seem to be but it doesn't work.

Amazon prime works just fine even with a 4K HDR stream. Hulu doesn't have 4K but it works fine with HD. No one seems to know what the problem is.

2nd Tech said it could be my home wiring needs to be updated, but if that's the case, how come every thing else works. My daughter says they don't have problems with Netflix, but they are on Spectrum cable 100 mbps internet. My grandaughter streams with IPhone and hasn't complained.

Anyway, thanks for the comeback.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Put me on that list. I have no idea why this is happening. Have you run any speed tests on your Net connection? Reading the OP you have 24 Mbps down? And went from 18 down to 24? And never had this happen before you switched? If all that is true and the only thing that has changed is the provider it must be caused by something the provider has done I would think. I've never had a DSL. When you say "gateway" that's a device like a modem?

Why an ATT person would tell you your home wiring needs to be updated baffles me. Did you get any specifics from him? Sounds like something a D* installer would say. Do you have any problems with the wiring in your home? Lights flicker?

Let's keep talking about this, it's interesting and perhaps someone will pop up with an idea. Answering all the questions above would help. Sure sounds like something we can blame on ATT, so far.

Rich

5. cmoss5

cmoss5 1960'S NOSTALGIA

May 26, 2006
    Tucker,GA
    The ATT person saying home wiring needs update means that you need a new router and fiber optic hook up like just happened in our neighborhood this past 3 months....100 mps standard for $50...1 gig would be $70...this 100 is really, really fast! Old router hooked via phone copper lines..new router furnished to handle up to the 1 gigabit thru the fiber optic line...

6. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    The att tech mentioned that I probably have cat4 wiring instead of cat5 for my DSL. He may be right since the wiring was installed when they built my house back in 1997. I wonder if the wiring can't handle the faster speed. I do have a new gatetway, which is a combination modem/router. They had to upgrade the Gateway when I went to 24mbps. But my quesioon is, why just Netflix. Once in a while it will stay on but ever since I went to the new speed and gateway, it began to falter on Netflix. It could be a coincidence.

The Gateway has dual bands. 2.4 and 5.0ghz. I even had to get an extender for the wifi which helps distribute the signal better since 5.ghz has a harder time penetrating walls. My signal is very good. The Gateway handles which band it will use for each device and which channel is best for each band. Most of my devices are on 5ghz.

I don't have any problems with my electrical wiring.

7. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    ATT fiber is not available in my subdivision. They do have UVERSE tv which I don't want and the internet would be a cable connection rather than a phone line. Spectrum cable does have 100mbps but I don't know if it would fix the Netflix problem. Besides I understand that cable internet is shared by a block of users and that would lower the speed. DSL is a dedicated line.

8. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    Posting update on Netflix disconnecting. It looks like the problem is with the Sony TV itself no matter if I use TV app, 4K player app, or Roku app. I used an older amazon firestick on an older Panasonic tv and it never disconnected while the Sony disconnected twice. I have plenty of speed and signal to play Netflix. Amazon and Hulu play just fine on the Sony. I wonder if there is something going on between sony and Netflix. Now the question is, where do I go from here. Sony will blame Netflix and Netflix will blame Sony.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't imagine how the Sony TV set could do that. Don't doubt you, just don't understand. What model and year is the Sony? Yeah, if you're right, where do you go for help? NF doesn't really have any tech support and Sony's support is kinda strange.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Thinking about this, you probably should have used a streaming device that caused the NF disconnect on the Sony rather than that non-4K Fire Stick. I kinda doubt it's a Netflix problem.

Rich

11. n3vino

n3vino Godfather

Oct 2, 2011
    Leon...
    The problem may have been solved. Netflix had me download a new app on my tv and it hasn't failed yet. The problem with Roku is being looked at by Netflix engineers, as per the agent. Supposedly they will have a fix for it. It seems that the latest Sony upgrade didn't include the new app. We shall see.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Whoa! You got tech support from NF? Good for you. Must have been a huge problem.

Rich