Netflix Schedules Massive Purge

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by sigma1914, Dec 28, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Wow, that's some list. There are some films I'd consider essential to a brag-worthy film collection.

1 person likes this.
  2. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I guess I don't understand why any movie would ever be purged and I would have just assumed the business plan was something along the lines of eventually having ALL movies.

Data storage has never been cheaper, and it will continue to get cheaper for maybe another 100 years . . .

but what do I know ?

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I presume the "purge" is all part of the contract process. Some movies are not available for streaming when a new physical disc is released, or when they are licensed to local stations.

At any rate I would not call 100 or so movies a "massive" purge.

4. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    It sounds like the rights to distribute the films have expired.

5. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    It'd be nice if it were just a licensing issue and not based on lack of viewing.

If you go to the original source link provided in the story the gist from all the comments can be summarized in this exchange:

The problem is that WalMart created a method of displaying surplus unsold old movie dvd's on sale - throw them into a large decorated box and let people fumble through them looking for something that appeals. The online sites have followed that clever marketing strategy for all old movies ever made offering little or no guidance. It makes me grimace in pain to learn that the next generation of Netflix subscribers will not have access to Being John Malkovich, Braveheart, Flashdance, The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, Born On the Fourth Of July, Platoon, and Top Gun, just to select a few off the movie list. And "Dark Shadows" (original from late 1960s). Really? I mean, REALLY????

Of course, the problem is that on sites like Amazon the primary page is "most popular" which leads one to, well, let's just say not a very good selection for the most part. But on Amazon Prime members can stream Platoon, Top Gun, Flashdance, and Braveheart for free and the others for a price. So all is not lost. But "Dark Shadows" fans, it is sad to note that only Seasons 2 and 3 are available.

On the other hand, if one just watches Roger Ebert's list of over 300 great movies or the AFI's 1998 100 best list you will have a great film education.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    This is all streaming movies it seems. I bet you can still get them all on DVD or blu ray through them.

7. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Des Moines, IA
    Of the movies on the list, FX isn't on Netflix now, and hasn't been there for months. But there a lot more mistakes.

8. mike1977

mike1977 Legend

Aug 26, 2005
    This is why I hope they don't discontinue their mail service anytime soon.

9. jerrylove56

jerrylove56 Godfather

Jun 14, 2008
    North Alabama
    All the streaming services make changes to their listings similar to this. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Many of these same titles will surface again on Netflix.

10. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Yes, I still look forward to the red netflix mailer every couple of days. We live in a smaller town with so-so internet, and the netflix streaming gets choppy every evening around prime time. Thanks.

11. Edmund

Edmund Remote Master

Apr 17, 2003
    Des Moines, IA
    On Feb 1 i'm losing three of my favorite movies on Netflix, ffolkes, Stick, and Malone. :(

12. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, that happened to me while watching a British show with a lot of episodes. Got really engrossed and then it only had 10 (or so) episodes. Called up and was told the rights to show the program had expired. Couple weeks later they were back.

Rich