Netflix sets "Mystery Science Theater 3000" Revival

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by phrelin, Jul 24, 2016.

1. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    My problem with MST has always been that it's just not ever been all that clever. Any idiot can sit in the peanut gallery and take cheap shots, but unless those three idiots are Chris Rock, Jerry Seinfeld, and Louie CK, it just isn't going to be worth my time.

2. armophob

armophob Difficulty Concen........

Nov 13, 2006
    Fort Pierce, FL
    Yep, that is the joke.
    I can't wait for its return.
    I have to wait for the blu-ray's though.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Ah but at Dictionary.com we find the "clever" has two definitions:

[​IMG]

MST as a series was and will always be by definition a successful #2, which mades its creator a #1.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    There is a poop joke in there somewhere.

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    [​IMG]

6. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    That's about as much credence regarding that as I could muster, too.

We hold different opinions. A forum wouldn't really make a lot of sense if we didn't. I'm used to that. Some of us expect that.

And if that is the dictionary definition, then absolutely no. Neither #1 nor #2. !pusht! Surprised you had to look that up. It's a pretty common, six-letter word.

You would have to clothespin my eyes open and put me in a straight-jacket, like Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange.

But, peace, and knock yourself out. :bang

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I'm sure there are programs that you like that we could ridicule. People have different tastes in comedy.

If one finds the MST comments to be clever and witty, fine. If people don't, there are thousands of other programs to watch - and a lot more than three people in the world that can make clever comments.

8. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Absolutely. Imagine if using the MST format we had a "Reality Show Theater" using as an on-screen comment target a slate of reality shows from both broadcast and cable over the past decade. Just imagine the comments three commenters could make watching "Keeping Up with the Kardashians".

MST is mindless entertainment, but when it was first created it was clever and fun to watch and even allowed for a little napping because who cares if you miss some of it.

9. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    MTV reality shows actually did get made fun of in the 2011 versions of Beavis and Butthead, where they normally would make fun of music videos.

I liked MST. I also think that there's plenty of bad-enough TV greatly deserving of the MST treatment.

There's also plenty of "higher-regarded" movies (as well as TV) that could use the "treatment," in my opinion. (Not regarded highly by me, of course.)

However, since this post is coming from someone currently fully enjoying Shark Schlock Week on SyFy, maybe my opinion is moot. This stuff is almost perfectly designed for MST-style "commentary," and perhaps best viewed in that light, if one doesn't "get" schlock.

10. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    You should check out Rifftrax, which is primarily the work of three former "MST3K" writer-performers -- they've done MST-style audio tracks for a lot of movies, including some "highly-regarded" ones.