1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

netflix streaming issue

Discussion in 'The OT' started by la24philly, Nov 9, 2010.

1. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    Hi around 6pm I wasnt able to watch netflix movies via the instantly to your tv or PC.

Anyone else have this problem? I have a PS3 and my pc when i use netflix.

i wonder what happened to there server

2. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Dont know, but my PS3 had about three retries to log on, but finally did so successfully.
    Didnt watch a movie though, just played some trailers.

3. la24philly

la24philly Hall Of Fame

Mar 8, 2010
    at about 10 pm I finally was able to watch netflix online via my computer. However my ps3 as it loads netflix half way loading it its says error cant log on to the server.

So my guess is they are still fixin the issue from earlier. i was going to call but the wait time is just not worth it right now.

I'll wait itll tomrrow to call

4. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    I could not stream tonight on Apple TV. I called and there was a recording saying they were having streaming issues.

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Happened a couple weeks ago, and if you called, they gave you a free day (whoop).

6. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    But, but, but, but, I thought IpTV was the wave of the future and would make cable, Sat and OTA obsolete?

7. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah. Déjà vu all over again except more complicated because unlike the airwaves leading to my house from media businesses, internet infrastructure is privately owned by cable and telcom systems.

ISP companies are still not thought of as the equivalent of the "airwaves." Netflix is still not thought of as the equivalent of a "broadcaster."

In 1927 you couldn't listen to radio because every Tom, Dick and Harriet had a transmitter and was doing his/her own thing crowding up the airwaves so much no signal could be heard. So the government started licensing the frequencies (read "bandwidth") because no one could figure out how to create the equivalent of "net neutrality."

OTA and Sat are using conditional licenses from the FCC, licenses that are limited.

Under a policy of "net neutrality" my neighbor's "paid for" Netflix stream and my free Gmail download compete for available bandwidth on Comcast's cables.

Comcast built the infrastructure at a substantial cost. Me and my neighbor pay the same to Comcast for ISP service. For that, we get to compete to use the available bandwidth.

That's a very different model from Comcast's TV service. I can pay them for whatever they decide they'll deliver, though for less money I can buy access to fewer channels than my neighbor. I don't get to click a button to get to a channel Comcast doesn't offer. If I want more or different choices, I can use whatever alternative is available meaning satellite or telcom.

I don't really have a vision of how it's all going to work if one night every home and business in America decided to watch a HULU, Netflix, etc., stream rather than TV.;)

8. flexoffset

flexoffset Godfather

Jul 16, 2007
    I get an error 111 or 112 on my AppleTV sometimes. I just keep trying and it finally lets me through.

9. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006