NetFlix "streaming-only" plan

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by jeffshoaf, Nov 22, 2010.

1. jeffshoaf

jeffshoaf Icon

Jun 17, 2006
    Got an email today from Netflix - the good news (for some) is they are now offering a streaming-only plan for $7.99 a month.

The bad news is that my 1 BluRay disc at a time plan went up $1.

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    It goes up in January.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Looks like it finally was made official. I had posted in another thread a few weeks ago that I was seeing different pricing on Netflix, sometimes seeing the $7.99 plan.

It sounds like new customers can get that plan today... but existing customers have to wait until January to get the streaming-only plan.

I'm considering that plan as I have no need for DVD rentals via mail.

4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Price list:

[​IMG]

5. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    That's what I got when I switched to streaming only.

6. Santana

Santana AllStar

May 11, 2010
    Yes, good news for some. Personally, I am not too happy with the direction Netflix is heading. They are moving more and more to a streaming content service. The downside for those of us who subscribe to the BluRay plan and prefer watching HD content is that they are buying fewer and fewer physical discs, and we are waiting longer and longer to watch new releases. There is still a relatively small selection of video even available for HD streaming (still not BluRay quality) and unfortunately for me, I do not even live in an area where I can get fast enough internet to watch HD streaming content. When they finally upgrade my area and I can get a faster connection, and when Netflix actually carries a decent HD selection, maybe I would be more interested in their streaming service. That probably is still a few years away.

7. shaun-ohio

shaun-ohio Icon

Aug 24, 2002
    zanesville ohio
    i am a current customer, and i had no trouble switching to the 7.99 plan with streaming only

8. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    I am a current Netflix customer and when I tried to change to the 7.99 streaming only plan it said "error unable to change plan"

I guess only certain current customers can immediately change to the plan.

9. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Do you have a DVD in your home? I'm wondering if they won't let you switch off the rental plan IF you have one.

10. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I have one to send back and it let me switch.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I just got a notice my 1 disc at a time plan was going up $1 as well, to $10 a month. Still worth it to me, since streaming is included.

12. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Totally correct and supported by email to me as Netflix's customer:

13. Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2006
    I’ll jump onboard “streaming-only” when Netflix delivers DD5.1 to Apple TV.

14. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Just not enough content for streaming only. I still need Blu-Ray access. Besides, the quality on Blu-Ray is miles ahead.

15. redfiver

redfiver DBSTalk Club Member

Nov 18, 2006
    They are streaming 1080p with DD5.1 to PS3 devices. Not a lot of titles, but some. And, the streaming content is still growing.

16. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    So, we could calmly wait for a year or two, when the PS3 monopoly will be ceased and more BD titles will be available.

17. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    I just got an email from Netflix saying that my streaming only plan will automatically be changed to the new streaming only plan this January.

18. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Do you have some source that Netflix is cutting back on Blu Ray purchases? I have ZERO trouble getting BluRay discs and rarely have to wait for a title. In fact it has never been better.

19. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    When you stream, is it live-watch-it-now only, or can you save for later? What about PVR-ish type functions --- pause, rewind, slo-mo, etc?

20. sdirv

sdirv Icon

Dec 14, 2008
    It is live, watch it now.......no value in "saving to watch it later", since if you want to watch it later...it's there. You can watch 1/2 a program, turn it off and when you come back later (even to a different device) it will ask if you want to start over or resume.

Yes...you can pause, rewind, fast forward, don't know about slo-mo...haven't seen that.