Netflix strikes new deals

Discussion in 'IPTV and Internet Video Delivery' started by Chris Blount, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
  2. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Once you get out of the city high speed internet gets harder to get. our place in northern Michigan is still dial up. I think it will be some time yet.

3. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    I see Netflix as taking the rental market for sure... but not the purchase market.

I think Netflix is perfectly fine, and their streaming seems to work well (my father has signed up already for his iPad)... I just don't think they will replace hard-copy media that you can have on your shelf.

I'm not a hardcore collector... but there are still people willing (for example) to pay $37 just to get Iron Man 2 in a steelbook case when they could buy just the movie for around $15-$18... so when there are people willing to pay that much just for a case... I don't think those folk would go online-only anytime soon.

4. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    I guess the hard media could eventually go away, but probably not for a while.

I noticed the vast majority of Neflix's offerings consists of movies and TV series/seasons that have been previously released on commercially produced DVDs. In fact, in many cases Netflix only offers the content on hard media delivered via snail mail.

Netflix's streaming content is really lacking, IMO. Hopefully, it will improve in the future.

5. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    I agree. If they would offer an expanded streaming package I would be interested.

6. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    My kids have been bugging me to get Netflix. I have to give it a try

7. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008
    what are you looking for that's not there?

we watch netflix streaming daily, and never have a problem finding a show or movie.

8. Glen_D

Glen_D Legend

Oct 21, 2006
    Mostly TV series -- current, recent, or classic.

None of the TV series I watch offer current season episodes via Netflix streaming, or even on DVD. Some offer past seasons on DVD.

Here are a couple of typical examples:

Leverage -- Seasons 1 & 2 offered on DVD-only. Season 3 has not yet been released on DVD, and is not offered by Netflix.

The Mentalist -- Seasons 1 & 2 offered on DVD-only. Season 3 has not yet been released on DVD, and is not offered by Netflix.

And the list goes on and on. Of course, there are exceptions to only-what's-already-been-released-on-DVD policy, but you get the picture.

I found the streaming content was limited mostly to a few classic TV series, and some older movies. I might re-up my subscription if they were to increase their streaming offerings. Problem was, once I ran through what they had available that I liked on streaming, I kept searching for new content, but could find nothing new that I liked.

9. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    There is one thing you guys are forgetting. The ROKU box is much more than just Netflix. It has many other "channels" including Amazon video on demand. Many movies and TV seasons are available through Amazon for viewing. Current episodes are also available which are usually posted the day after they air. No, they are not free but offer a great alternative to Netflix. I just purchased the entire first season of Glee for $21. The streams are in 720p HD and 5.1 surround. The quality is quite good. Heck, the Nasa channel is even available on the Roku box.

10. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Today I received the new Roku XD/S. It's quite a bit smaller than the original Roku box I purchased last year. Setup was easy as usual. The interface is the same as on the older Roku boxes.

I was able to set the box to 1080p and view some Vimeo content. It looks very, very good and not too compressed. On my Samsung 60" DLP, I didn't notice any artifacts. The big test is when I blow it up on my 106" projection system.

As I said before, I purchased the first season of Glee through Amazon VOD. It's in 720p and 5.1 Dolby Digital. The PQ is fantastic. Not as good as Blu-Ray of course but damn good. No complaints.

11. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Are you wired or wireless?

12. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Wireless N at 5 GHz.

13. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    We love the netflix streaming and have found that they added quite a few titles recently, more family guys just added to streaming. With an entry level subscription price of $9/month, netflix beats a movie channel easily. There are a couple of apps and websites that piggyback on netflix to help make your searches easier.

But yeah, if you are looking for some items that aren't even available on DVD yet, then well, yeah, the mainstream video stores, including netflix, may not be able to accomodate such a niche market. You can probably find those items at one of the more boutique streaming suppliers, but expect to pay dearly for a proprietary box and then pay dearly on a pay-per-view basis at a rate that's closer to a pay per view prize fight fee....Me I am very happy with netflix streaming... :)

14. Santana

Santana AllStar

May 11, 2010
    I'm better than dial-up but still in the same boat. I currently have DSL, but it's not fast enough to get a very good picture; definitely not DVD quality. I've used the streaming some, but until they upgrade my area with faster DSL I won't be using it often.

I quit purchasing hard-copy media when I realized I never watched any of my old DVDs and they were just taking up space. Sold all of my DVDs and just rent Blu-Ray now. In the rare case I want to see a movie again, I can always put it back in my queue.

15. jayman9207

jayman9207 Mentor

Sep 14, 2010
    Just curious but did you look at the Boxee box made by DLink before getting this? I am torn between getting the Boxee box, the Roku XDS player, or just doing the small HT PC. I am leaning more towards a simpler solution so I will probably get one of the two boxes. I want true HD access to everything else (including my local LAN stuff if possible) besides Netflix. I have had an LG DB390 BR Player for a long time and love it for access to Netflix, Vudu, and some of my local LAN files. I wan Hulu (not just plus) and others.

On topic........we absolutely love Netflix. We have been a member for almost 11 years. We are actually grandfathered into a plan that no longer exists.

16. Dave

Dave Icon

Jan 28, 2003
    The problem with the Boxee box is that it is not even available yet. Also they do not have any kind of agreements with the content providers yet. So you may stand a chance of having all or part of the content to you turned off at any time. I like many others on here like and prefer my Roku box. It is small and simple to use. I can use my Harmony control to run it. The content is excellent from Roku. With a lot of providers available for content. Even the google/logitec box is coming out before the Boxee box.

17. cebbigh

cebbigh Icon

Feb 27, 2005
    Frostbite Falls
    Roku is adding Hulu-Plus this fall.

18. brant

brant Icon

Jul 6, 2008

If its network shows you guys are interested in, consider windows media center w/ an outdoor antenna.

I have both these shows recorded in full HD with 5.1 digital surround. It has commercials, but it was all free with windows media center.

19. Chris Blount

Jun 22, 2001
    Not the same. The audio on the network feeds are slightly compressed. The downloaded versions are better quality in both audio and video. I ran that test already. :)

20. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    I don't know about upcoming PS3 app, but with the DVD version there is no DD-5.1