Netflix vs Prime

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by repoman75, Dec 16, 2019.

1. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    well I gave up premier since for the most part, hbo, showtime, Cinemax are a waste of money. But I’d still like a free movie database to go to if I still want to see a movie. Looking at Netflix vs prime. Subscribed to each for a 30 day trial. Any opinions?

One thing I noticed is that one may charge for a movie while the other does not. Like Star Wars Solo. It’s free on Netflix but 3.99 on prime (and directv). Does Netflix have an edge to show movies free before prime?

2. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    All shows on Netflix are included in your monthly fee. Obviously not the same with Amazon. Since I am a Prime member, their channel is 'free' so I've not paid any attention if certain movies are available first on one than the other.

3. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Prime stuff is free. But amazon also has non prime stuff that you can rent or purchase.

I’d suggest rotating between those two and Disney plus probably. Two months with one then two with the next and two with the third.

Also, check out crackle and vudu free stuff. Has commercials but also has movies.

4. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    NF and AP aren't free. But once you get past the NF monthly fee you will have a lot of content to watch that is free of cost at that point. With AP you still have to pay the Prime yearly fee. Once you get past that fee a lot of the content you see on AP will be without further cost.

Yes you will see content that costs nothing extra on some sites that you have to rent or buy on other sites, that's normal. You have to figure out how to deal with that. It's not complicated.

Which is better, NF or AP? At the moment NF. I think. This is another subjective subject. YMMV.

Rich

5. glrush

glrush Cool Member/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 29, 2002
    Shellsburg, IA
    Just to add to Rich's comments. I sort of look at any video offering with Prime as a bonus since I use Amazon for so much shopping since shipping with Prime is free. This year, they offered vets Prime for 99 bucks on Veteran's Day and they also give you a pretty good music selection. So, while I agree that NF has a better video inventory, Prime is a better "deal" if you add everything else. I have both, along with Disney + and Hulu.

6. AZ.

AZ. Legend

Mar 27, 2011
    I feel there is no comparison.....Its what Netflix does, its just a perk for prim members.

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I consider Prime Video as free since I use my membership for ordering online anyway. Frontier offered a free year of Prime so I have extended my subscription a year. Netflix is free with my T-Mobile phone service. We watch more programs with Acorn, a $5 per month service featuring mostly British TV programs, than we do with either Prime Video or Netflix.

8. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Also AP offers a fair amount of 4K material for free while NF charges a premium for 4K material. Both have some excellent TV series. We do a lot of shopping on Amazon so NF is more of a luxury item for us.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    As far as a "deal" goes you can't beat AP. Just a throw in from Amazon. I'd have Amazon Prime shipping in any case but to just throw it in...who does that? That's a whole lot of content at no extra cost.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Not a bad price for the luxury of Netflix when you think about it.

Rich

11. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    I have both and use both - there are some Prime originals that I like and watch - Same with Netflix. Find "more" older stuff on Netflix. As others have stated - I got Prime for the shipping so it is sort of "free" for me.

Rich likes this.
  12. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    Something to consider is a subscription to STARZ, either via streaming or the lineal channel route which includes app access. For what my opinion is worth, I always felt they offered a ton of movie content. I'd always recommended to friends that if you wanted original programming, take HBO. If you wanted movies, take STARZ.

13. 1948GG

1948GG Icon

Aug 4, 2007
    Amazon Prime Video has not put any resources into maintaining or updating their system in a very long time. Of all the major services, prime still hasn't added profiles, which means that multiple family members can't have their own selections as opposed to everyone's. There are also programming errors in the system in particular as regards the 'watch next' under 'home' and 'watch next - TV shows', and when watching multi-season shows the auto-skip to the next show sometimes gets 'stuck' and other missteps.

Did they fail to pay their programming staff, or reduce that staff? These systems need vigilant folks to keep them running properly.

14. sparky27

sparky27 Member

Jun 25, 2019
    I would say for movies (not counting pay per view) that Netflix is better. The main thing about Amazon prime I like is their HBO series like Sopranos, Boardwalk Empire, etc. If I had to choose one for shows or movies though, Netflix wins. of course its streaming so you could just have one this month then cancel and start another next month or once you watch everything they have that you like.

15. repoman75

repoman75 Legend

Jan 27, 2008
    Good point. Same thing with HBO... I can always wait for Directv to offer me 3 months free and then binge on Westworld and then cancel.

Thanks for all the pros and cons... but.. I still don't understand how Netflix is showing Solo (Star Wars) for free while Prime/Directv are still charging $3.99 to watch. Is it because they have some deal with Disney or the movie companies?

sparky27 likes this.
  16. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    I don't see them as competing services, they each have their own exclusive content. I also don't understand why people think that Disney + is a competing service against Netflix. They don't carry the same content, so they complement each other, in my opinion.

sparky27 likes this.
  17. Andrew Sullivan

Andrew Sullivan Active Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I don't see Disney plus competing with Netflix or AP in any way. Disney Plus is limited to certain programming. It does offer a fair amount of 4K but consider. It's only $69 yr.

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    They have some good series too. I activate that app for a month now and then. Counterpoint and Power are two very good series. Pretty sure both are on Starz.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're right, that app seems to have regressed. I had a terrible time watching Goliath last week. I go from set to set during the course of a day and I never got back to the proper spot each time. Annoying.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    People are just starting to understand what's going on in the world of streaming. Your opinion is valid.

Rich