1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Netgear router florferated after BB DECA

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Laxguy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I had Whole Home installed recently, DECA works perfectly, but shortly after the installation, my WiFi became very flaky, now it appears to be totally borked, although I'll try a few more things. [Netgear WPN284v2]

Questions:

Is it possible that there's a connection between the BB DECA startup and my WiFi router going South? Is there a test for the ethernet inserter that I could perform?

Should I just get a new router, that'll maybe do more things in the future? Any suggestions? (I don't like D-Link's PC centered-ness) Rather like Netgear, but am open to whatever

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Have you tried resetting your router?

3. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    About six times, plus power cycling the modem (Comcast with voip.).

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Another here with a netgear, had strange problems, though not the same, and these only were corrected with a factory reset of the netgear. Normal reset/restarts didn't resolve anything.
    You might want to look for this red button [was red on mine].

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    What does "florferated" mean?

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    "now it appears to be totally borked" - then I wouldn't bother with questions and get other [new] one what will work OK.

7. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Bingo! Many thanks. It's a recessed button on the back; I had reset it once, but this second time did the trick. I've also a new understanding of, and appreciation for, the various lights on the router mean.

Now my next step, I think, would be to set the DVRs and the receiver to their own IP. Suggestions? Here's what the router tells me-

# IP Address Device Name MAC Address
    1 192.168.1.2 C-69-181-75-224 00:1b:63:a7:16:d6
    2 192.168.1.3 JPMAIR 7c:6d:62:a6:78:24
    3 192.168.1.4 -- 00:50:94:ec:c4:bb
    4 192.168.1.6 -- 00:03:78:46:3b:7f
    5 192.168.1.7 -- 00:03:78:49:6b:e6

The first one would be an ethernet connected desktop (iMac), the "JPMAIR" is a MacBook Air.
    Also, is there a way to pick up the custom names of the DirecTV receivers?

8. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    It means it seems to be FUBAR! But thank heavens appearances can be deceiving. It's now working just fine.

I learned that Whole Home doesn't like it when you connect or disconnect Ethernet to the system.....

9. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The appearance was deceiving! I had powered cycled it many times, and was under the (wrong) impression that that was more powerful than the reset button, which I also did, but it took two tries to make it stick.

For me, it begs the question as to whether power cycling an HR20-700 or the HR 24-500 is the most complete reset possible, or does the reset button do more?

10. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just read your router's manual and Wiki ...

11. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    I did answer to the question from EE standpoint - see my old posts about 'cold reboot' and soft reset for receivers/DVRs...

12. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    So if you Connect or Disconnect Ethernet to your System it becomes "florferated"???

13. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I did a search, but did not find. Could you please provide a link?

14. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    To Perform a Cold Reboot just Unplug the Device for a few minutes and then Plug it back in.

15. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Well, it disrupts playback on what was being watched or recorded.
    The made up word has a connotation of being more seriously broken, and was describing a router that I thought was dying or dead.

16. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    They should be just fine the way they are. The receivers address each other via name as opposed to the IP address.

Most routers maintain a one-to-one relationship between the IP address and MAC address even through a lease expiration and renewal so it is pretty much impossible to tell whether the IP address is leased or fixed (outside of peeking at the router lease table).

17. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    Just one other sort of unrelated point. If you reset your router, you likely lost any WiFi protection (if you had it on in the first place). You should check to see if that is so, and if you have lost your encryption, you should reset it and put in your password. This will not have an effect on your wired DVRs but it will have an effect on everyone around you who will be able to connect to your router!

SMK

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just be aware - in some devices like the router, the red RESET button actualy erasing user settings and bringing the router to factory/default status;
    it do not just reset of the device in case of hanging or malfunctioning.

19. bleggett29

bleggett29 Legend

Feb 2, 2008
    Yes, you should be able to reserve an IP for your DirecTV devices. You would need to know the MAC for the device. A quick glance below tells me you have 2 -600 devices and 1 -700 device. I can't tell the exact model though. But if you go into each devices Network Setup/Advanced Setup it'll list the entire MAC.
    When you login your router, go into LAN Setup. From there you can add Address Reservations. From there, it should be quite easy to figure the rest out.
    Pace -700
    Humax -600
    Humax -600
    I don't think there is a way to see custom names. Only on the DirecTV devices themselves.

20. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yes, that's what the reset button on that Netgear does, and what it needed to do.

Now, a simple answer to the equivalent on the, say HR20-700: Does the red reset button do more- or less- than a complete power down for a few minutes? It was recommended to me by my installer a long time ago that the complete power down was "better" than a RBR.... The former wipes the whole Guide, but not recording instructions nor the existing List. I am not sure just what the RBR does as I've always used the power recycle.