Network Connection without Ethernet

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by am3211, Jun 3, 2018.

1. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    I currently have an HR44, with three HR24s. They have all been networked via Cat5 and Ethernet connections and Whole Home works flawlessly so that I can share all recordings to all DVRs.

I now have a need to move one of the HR24s to a location that does not have Ethernet available at that location. What is the best method to connect that relocated HR24 to my Network to take advantage of Whole Home and be able to see the recordings on that HR24 on the other wired DVRs? Internet access would not be a necessity.

2. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    You could try a broadband powerline adapter.

3. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    I have tried those and been mostly unsuccessful. Also tend to work less well if the electrical connections are on different circuits, which these are.

4. JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker Legend

Sep 20, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I use a Linksys WES610N Wireless bridge, which has worked flawlessly for me. As long as you have a wireless network and are reasonably close to the router, a wireless bridge should give you the connectivity that you need. If you search for “wireless bridge” or “game adapter”, you will find a number of choices.

5. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You don't need each HR24 and HR44 connected to the internet by itself.

Assuming you have a properly connected system with coax and Direct approved splitters, the HR44 and HR24s will all share WHDVR across all receivers/DVRs.

In my home, only the Genie has a connection to the router via ethernet. Other boxes all share recordings with just coax, no internet connected to them directly.

In summary, if you have only the HR44 connected to broadband, the HR24's will get to share recordings and ethernet via coax only. With a proper coax system.

Pull all ethernet from HR24s.
    Reboot the HR44
    Reboot the HR24s (once coax is removed)

And you should be good to go. And have internet too.

And if no internet on the HR44? They will still share recordings without On Demand and TV Apps.

I WANT MORE and Laxguy like this.
  6. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    NJR4P,

That's what I thought also but it doesn't seem to be working that way. Could that be because my other two HR24's are connected via Ethernet and and that prevents the third HR24 from connecting via Coax? I would prefer to leave my other HR24's connected via Ethernet if that is possible?

Also you said above "Reboot the HR24s (once coax is removed)", did you mean once the Ethernet connection is removed?

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    LOL
    Yes I meant without ethernet.

If you have a properly installed system with good coax and proper splitters (green labeled), you don't need ethernet on all devices. Just the HR44.

The HR44 won't serve other HR24s if they have ethernet plugged in. It detects conflicts of IP addresses and disables the internal DECA.

Laxguy likes this.
  8. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008

Thanks for that. I wanted to leave my Ethernet in place just for convenience since it is a little difficult to get it removed due to limited access. No real need for it. But it sounds like I can't have a mixed bag. I will disconnect the two HR24s Ethernet connections and do all the reboots and see what happens.

9. am3211

am3211 AllStar

Mar 23, 2008
    NR4P,

Thanks for your insight. Everything appears to be working well after removing all the Ethernet connections. And the remote Playlists appear to load a little faster than they did using Ethernet Networking.

I WANT MORE, NR4P and jimmie57 like this.