1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Network/Internet DVR??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by VaJim, Apr 26, 2008.

1. VaJim

VaJim Godfather

Jul 26, 2006
    Virginia...
    What is the advantage of setting up my HR-21 700 using the Internet/Network configuration in the menu? Never really noticed it until the other day. Already have a phone line for caller id.

2. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    Off the top of my head:
    Viewing Windows media files located on a computer on the same network (Beta)
    PPV
    MRV (future)
    Directv monitering your signal strength
    Directv monitoring your viewing habits (rumor)
    VoD

3. Hansen

Hansen Hall Of Fame

Jan 1, 2006
    In additon to the above comments, with the DVR networked, you will be able to use DoD - DirecTV on Demand. It is a free video on demand service that allows you to download shows/programs to the DVR whenever you want.

4. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    I am sort of thinking you may want to put either "beta" or "future" on this one. It isn't like you network your HR2x, and all of a sudden it will do media sharing like a PS3 or anything. But in the future I totally expect it to some day be working as we would expect.

5. kokishin

kokishin Godfather

Sep 30, 2006
    Silicon...
    Haven't played with it much but I was able to view jpegs from the family computer across the home network using my HR20-700 connected to my Pany TV. Is that still in beta?

6. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    757 & 718
    that Media Share feature is great i love it.

being able to view photos, video's and listen to music; from my comp to my hr-20 is one my fav features.

reminds me of FiOS, although they charge like $20 a month for this feature.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    While the "service" is free, the programming delivered may or may not be.

8. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Yes. I was able at one time to do JPGs as well a few releases ago. But last I tried on Saturday, there was a sorting issue. As the list of pictures has not changed, but the way they display from software release to release is not the same.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Also, an internet/network connection is not required for Remote Booking. It is available of the R15's, which do not have network connectivity.

- Merg

10. gcisko

gcisko I am Iron Man!

Sep 27, 2006
    Correct. I believe the remote booking is via the SAT. I disconnected my phone once I connected the network to my HR20.

11. MurphieNB

MurphieNB Cool Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Salado, TX
    After years of being told "No DSL for you" (rural area), finally got DSL installed today!! Plan on networking my DVR soon, depending on Christmas scheduling.

I know I'm weird, I only have one TV; so MRV won't be a need for me. Once I've got it connected, are there any other additional features available since this thread was started?

Thanks, Jim

12. Game Fan

Game Fan Baseball Is Life

Sep 8, 2007
    :welcome_s
    I just got DSL a week ago myself. I can't get mediashare to work just yet, but Directv2pc works great.