Network setup

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by johnchart, Sep 19, 2009.

1. johnchart

johnchart Legend

Sep 17, 2006
    I am trying one more time to set up wireless network from my ACTIONTEC GT701-WG router/modem with Qwest high speed DSL service to my DTV receiver model HR 20/700. My Dell computer with the Actiontec Modem is a mere 10 feet from my HR 20/700, but I have never been able to set up the wireless connection. I did use the ethernet wired connection & it worked fine, but I want wireless.

Hate to sound like a dork, but can anyone give me a basic, basic, basic solution to my problem?

All help is greatly appreciated.

John

2. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    If you want to use your HR2x wireless you need a wireless bridge between the router and the receiver. The bridge can be connected using the same etherport that you were going to use on the wired version. Depending on the bridge you get there is a Linksys bridge that has support and a easy plug and play setup. WRT600N might be the one but you can do a search just to be sure. There are other brands but that is the one that seems to be mentioned often.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The WRT600N is a router, not a bridge (although it can function as a bridge with dd-wrt firmware). The WGA600N and WET610N are Linksys bridges (the WGA600N is currently supported for setup with the DVRs).

4. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Close enough. I got the 600 part correct. :D