Networking Help (Wired & Wireless)

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Tips and Resources' started by skizzy, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1 of 25
    skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I posted this over in the Directv forums, but didn't have any luck getting a response. Maybe someone with some networking knowledge here can help me out.

I have been having some serious problems getting connected with my HR21 over the last few days. I recently upgraded my network, and had it functioning correctly, but made a change (I dunno what) and now I cannot connect to the DVR over my wireless network.

Here are the details.

Linksys TEW-652BRP Wireless N Router
    Linksys WGA600N Wireless Bridge on HR21 DVR
    N Adapters on a Laptop and a PC

Basically, this was all working before, now it's not. And I cannot figure out how to fix it. I've started from scratch resetting the WGA600N, the router, creating new networks, but the WGA600N will not connect to the existing network.

Laptop and PC, as well as a wired PS3 all connect together no problem, but the DVR will not connect. It is connected to the internet, and the network (according to the Directv info screen).

The DVR (Gaming Adaper) shows up in the network map, but not in the devices list. See screenshots below. Sorry, can't post URLS, please see attachments.

Wireless Network Map:
    Attachment1

Wireless Network Devices:
    Attachment2

Now, when I connect my laptop via ethernet to the router the DVR will show up and I can share content. See screenshots below:

LAN Network Map:
    Attachment3

LAN Network Devices:
    Attachment4

As you can see when the Laptop is connected to the router via ethernet now the Directv renderer shows up, but when the laptop is connect wirelessly it does not.

I don't know what happened, but something is not setup correctly in my wireless network and I don't know how to fix it. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Dec 9, 2009 #2 of 25
    Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    When you plug in the bridge to the receiver does it give you a pop up to setup the bridge? If not then you will have to plug in the bridge to the router, set it up, then plug the bridge back into the receiver and see if it works then.

3. Dec 9, 2009 #3 of 25
    skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Yes. I have reset the bridge back to factory default a few times and reconfigured. Problem persists. The receiver shows up when laptop connected to router via ethernet but not when the laptop is connected via wireless.

4. Dec 9, 2009 #4 of 25
    Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    My HR21-700 seems very flakey on the network. Sometime it is there, sometime it is not. I have the WGA 610N and think it must have something to do with the N wireless. My HR20 (hardwire) and HR22 (Apple Airport Express on G) have no issues.

5. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Take an inventory of IPs on every device on your network . . . with the associated netmask / gateway.

I tend to set everything with a static address. And keep a notepad listing of each device with any other info like mac address / default address / default user / pw.

This info comes in handy 6 months or a year later when something burps.

PM me if you have questions.

6. skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I'm lost. Everything is setup correctly as far as I can tell.

Laptop 192.168.x.101
    Directv 192.168.x.102
    PS3 192.168.x.103
    Desktop 192.168.x.104

Default Gateway 255.255.255.0

The wired PS3 can pickup the mediashare from Laptop, Directv, and Desktop. The wireless desktop and laptop can pickup everything but the Directv.

I'm not sure if this is normal though... on the network map the directv IP is showing and external address, 169.254.157.xxx. Shouldn't that show 192.168.x.102?

The ip address showing in the directv info screen and on the PS3 shows 192.168.x.102 for the directv.

7. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    After communicating with HDTVFAN0001 he said that he had no problems such as mine and his DVRs had Static IP Addresses, so I Selected "DHCP Reservation" and Manually Added them as Reserved Clients so I could assign a Static IP Address to their MAC Address.

I then rebooted everything and now I do not get that Error Message nor do I have alot of hiccups, etc. I do occasionally get hiccups on one or two recordings but not nearly as bad as before.

Also found out the message "ake failed" is a truncation of the message "HANDSHake failed" where HANDSH is being truncated in the error message. So it appears that in order for their to be a Good DTCP Handshake, there must be a Static IP Address assigned to the MAC Address of all the DVRs perhaps for validation purposes.

8. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    It definitely looks like you are having an IP address conflict. The 169.254.xxx IP address you are seeing for the DVR is a VPIP address and is what happens when DHCP cannot assign an IP address to a device.

On the DVR, set it up to automatically obtain the IP address instead of specifying an IP address yourself. Either that or set it to be an IP address that is outside the DHCP range as specified on your router.

- Merg

9. skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Tried both. Same problem. On the network map it still shows 169.254.xxx. I can ping the ip address assigned to the DVR... obtained automatically 192.168.x.102 and assigned outside the DHCP range 192.168.xx.250. And again, the wired PS3 picks it up no problem.

10. skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I don't think the IP address is the issue though. As soon as I plug the ethernet cable from my router into my laptop the dvr shows up. Nothing changes with the wireless bridge. ( the ip address of the dvr still shows that 169.xx)

11. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Peachtree...
    Read this post from me and -Draino- as you are seeing the "Bridged Mode IP Address" and not an "Assigned DHCP Address".

Quote:
    Originally Posted by richierich
    "Take a pen out and use it to press in the Reset Button on the rear of the WGA600N so that it resets itself and then it will go thru the Connection Process again. If you have WEP or WPA2 Security then you will have to enter the PassKey in order to connect.

Mine wouldn' work until I Reset it. That IP Address is a Bridged Mode IP Address and not an assigned DHCP Address."

Originally Posted by -Draino-
    "We know from the OP that the DVR is not getting a valid IP. If the DVR is not getting an IP we would assume the bridge is getting in the way. So your suggestion to reset the bridge is right on track. I think we are all on the same page here and we all seem to think the problem is the bridge. Once the bridge has been reset and configured through the web interface, all should be well.

It should also be mentioned that if the OP resets the bridge then they will DEFINITELY have to connect it to the router to configure the first time. This is a good place to start, for sure. Once the bridge is reset it will of course default to it's OOB configuration, Default Password, No Security, DHCP Enabled, and should just work. But it is always a good idea to look at the web interface just to see what's going on.

When ever you see an "APIPA" (Automatic Private IP Address) or as "richierich" called it, "Bridged Mode IP Address" hence the 169.254.x.x, which of course is not a valid IP address in a DHCP network, you can always figure out whats wrong by tracking backwards by asking your self "what's in between my problem and the router". In this case it seems clear that it is the bridge."

12. skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    I appreciate all the input.

Unfortunately I have reset and reconfigured the bridge over and over, always with the same result. Everything looks peachy in the wga600n's web interface. Everything looks good in my router's settings.

Could someone explain why when my devices are wired (PS3, laptop, desktop) they can all network with the DVR just fine, but when connected wirelessly they cannot? I don't see why it would be any different.

13. skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    Well, I managed to finally get the bridge a valid ip address. Progress. Unfortunately I still have the same problem. Media Share is only available when laptop connected via ethernet.

14. BattleScott

BattleScott Hall Of Fame

Aug 28, 2006
    Check the wireless setup in your router. There may be a setting there that blocks wireless clients from communicating with each other.

In my Netopia router it's called "Block wireless bridging".

15. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Few Ideas to throw around

1) when your laptop is wireless, can it communicate with any OTHER wireless devices (like another computer that is wireless). One thing to try would be to put the bridge on another computer and try communicating with the bridged computer via the laptop.

2) Is there a setting within your router that disables wireless clients from talking to eachother? It's a security setting so that if you're hosting internet for public use, people don't try to gain unauthorized access to eachothers machines.

3) It looks like you're running Vista/7. My bet would be that you told your laptop that when connected wirelessly it's in a 'public network' but when connected via ethernet it's in a 'work' or 'home network'. This would keep your laptop from communicating with other wireless devices (and probably other wired devices except the router), for security reasons.

16. skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    1) wireless clients (i.e. laptop and desktop) can communicate with each other.

2) there is no setting that i can find

3) yes, vista... both wired and wireless networks are set to private

also, the wired ps3 can mediashare with the laptop, the desktop, and the directv receiver. actually whenever any device is connected to the router via ethernet it can mediashare will all other devices, wired or wireless

17. skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    here are a couple other shots of the networks. (attached)

#1 from the perspective of the wireless desktop which CANNOT connect to the directv receiver

#2 from the wired laptop which CAN connect to the directv receiver

the network map from the desktop looks jacked up. i don't know exactly how it should look but i am guessing that's not right.

Attached Files:

18. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Set everything up the way you would ideally have it THEN run network map and post the results...

Having the laptop wired to the switch is throwing me off because I don't see the problem.

And I see where you see it's goofy. Is the switch plugged into the bridge or not? That's the difference in the 2 photo's.

19. skizzy

skizzy Cool Member

Dec 9, 2009
    The screenshot in the original post is how i have it setup ideally.

In the most recent example...

I'm not even sure what the switch in the map is. I don't have a physical switch.

I have the wireless bridge plugged into the Directv receiver. The laptop plugged into the router. And the desktop connected wirelessly.

Whenever I connect the laptop to the router the "switch" shows up. Is this a virtual switch? Or is the switch actually the router?

20. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Sounds like that's your problem. A virtual adapter between your laptop and the rest of your lan.
    Seeing as that your desktop doesn't show this switch, I would imagine the problem exists with your laptops network adapters but I unfortunately have no advice for you. Possibly call the OEM?
    If you want to pay s&h both ways you can mail me your laptop and I'll figure it out :lol:

EDIT:
    I lied. I have a new idea. Try a USB or PCMCIA (or PCMCIA express depending on your laptop) wireless adapter. Disable the internal adapter and try an external adapter and see if that solves your problem. That'll tell you if the problem is your wireless adapter, or software (like a strange wireless firewall) on your laptop...