Networking HR20 with Airpot Express

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by jhays, May 25, 2009.

1. jhays

jhays Mentor

Dec 21, 2005
    I have a currently working home network with an Airport Extreme N Base Station, an Airport Express (n) configured for WDS, and several Macintosh and Windows computers either hardwired to the Base Station or connected wirelessly to either the Base Station or the Express.

I also have two HR20-100’s located near the Airport Express. Both HR20’s are now hardwired to the Airport Express through a Linksys Ethernet Hub (model NH1005) (uplink port to the Express and two of the four other ports connected to the upper Ethernet ports on the HR20’s.)

Unfortunately, I have not been able to get a network connection with the HR20’s, either by using the Default Settings or by manually setting the HR20’s to use IP addresses in the range 10.0.1.xx and using either the Base Station address (10.0.1.1) or the address of the Express (10.0.1.3) as the Gateway address.

My searches here have returned mostly information on how to set up WDS (mine is already working) or how to set up non-Apple wireless adapters. I have rebooted all parts of the system several times, but still no connection.

Any suggestions?

2. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Try using the bottom ports on the HR's

Using the automatic network settings on the HR's (using DHCP) works just fine for my network.

3. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    Only Port 1 is enabled and usable on a HR20-100. Check very close to make sure it is plugged into Port 1.

See the First Look paper on the HR20-100....
    especially post #4 of this link: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=83811

4. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Yep, you gotta use the correct port. ;)

I have an HR20-700 networked through an Airport Extreme 802.11n base station being used in WDS mode, connected to a primary Airport Extreme 802.11n base station which is connected to my cable modem. Works like a charm. :)

5. jhays

jhays Mentor

Dec 21, 2005
    One of my HR20's has only a single ethernet port and the second has two ports numbered 1 (top) and 2 (bottom). All the posts I have seen indicate that port number 1 (top) is the active ethernet port. Is that not correct?

I have one of each of the models shown in this picture:

http://hr20.dbstalk.com/images/hr20_100/large/img_6005.jpg

6. jhays

jhays Mentor

Dec 21, 2005
    The problem is apparently the Linksys hub. Either HR20 will connect to the Internet when connected directly to the Airport Express.

When connected through the hub, the HR20's apparently connect to the local network, but can't connect to the Internet. Guess it's time to look for a new ethernet switch. Any recommendations?

Many thanks for your comments!

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If you have the newer Airport Express, don't use WDS. 2 reasons.

1. Apple's WDS is sometimes not so friendly in a mixed or non-Apple network.

2. WDS in a g or n network drops throughput horribly.

The newer AE doesn't need WDS to allow the AE to be a bridge.

8. jhays

jhays Mentor

Dec 21, 2005
    Interesting! My WDS has worked fine up until now. I DO have the latest Airport Express, but the Apple documentation seems to call for WDS in my situation. I'll re-read the stuff.

I've just ordered a Linksys EZXS55W EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch. I'll think I'll give that a try before messing with my existing network.

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    WDS works fine - I've used it for over a year with two Extreme N base stations and an Express N base station all linked together in a mixed g/n network.

10. musicman0725

musicman0725 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Both options will work, however, WDS is the older method for extending apple wireless networks and should be used if you need to use older devices (ie. airport express G). WDS will cut bandwidth when used (although it is compatible with N). Also, you don't have the option to extend the network in the 5Ghz spectrum.

If you use the "extend a wireless network" option, you can configure your devices to extend the network while utilizing wide bands in the 5ghz spectrum. Also, the devices will not slow throughput down for the entire network (WDS will take a toll on all devices in a network).

I have noticed that devices wirelessly connecting to my extended base stations will get slower speeds then when connecting to the main base station (you can disable wireless clients by unchecking allow wireless clients on a base station so if like me you only need to wirelessly bridge a wired network, your wireless clients can all connect to the main base station). If you enjoy tinkering with your network, like I do, you can use something like istat menus or MenuMeters to view the throughput of your network at the top of the screen while playing around with configuration settings.

One final thing I noticed is that although the airport express N (and older gigabit ethernet port airport extreme) show the option for participate in a WDS, the newer dualband airport extreme does not have this option readily accessible. If you hold down the alt/option key while selecting the menu, you can then access WDS on the newer dualband base stations (however the menu is hidden). You can actually get a whole bunch of hidden options by holding down the alt/option key in airport utility menus :D

11. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Bandwidth in WDS mode is fine for everything I use it for, from Netflix streaming to XBox Live on multiple XBoxes to VOD and Media Share streaming all over the house (and I have a LOT of things networked - see below). My cordless phones operate in the 5 ghz band, so the older 2.4 ghz band works much better in my circumstances. In addition, range with the 5ghz is not sufficient in my house. I also have multiple G-only devices and don't have the new dual-band AEBS, so I'll stick to 2.4 ghz for now.

I know. Airport Utility has been that way for long time. :)

Networked devices:
    Airport Extreme N Gigabit
    Airport Extreme N
    Airport Express N
    Buffalo 802.11G 4-port bridge
    iPhone 3G x 2
    iPod Touch
    XBox360 x 2
    PS3
    Wii
    HR2x x 4 (counting one R22-200 here)
    MacBook Pro Core2Duo x 2
    Powerbook G4
    PC x 2
    PC laptop (wife's work computer)

12. musicman0725

musicman0725 Cool Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Yeah, 5GHz doesn't penetrate walls very well and if your phones are 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz is definitely the way to go for your wireless. I live in a condo with tons of other people on the 2.4Ghz spectrum (our cordless phone is also 2.4Ghz). Mainly i just use the two ranges to separate my N clients (macbook pro, appletv) from my G clients (older macbook pro, wii, and iphones). With the appletv, the 5Ghz dual band really makes a difference in syncing content.

13. fpd917

fpd917 Legend

Aug 16, 2006
    I use airport all over my home, and I use WDS, it works fine for me

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Generally speaking I recommend avoiding anything with the word "hub" in the name but in this case, it would appear that the NH1005 is actually a 10/100 switch.

I agree that it is probably a good idea to replace this old timer (added to Amazon.com in January of 2003). In the interim, I'd suggest not using the uplink ports and see what happens.

15. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    WDS does work fine in an all Apple wireless system, but there are many reports of it not liking other brands.

And on the newer 'n' Express and Extreme, using WDS in a mixed mode of 'g' and 'n', does throttle the bandwidth. That has been well documented in the Apple forums.

I have a dual mode setup. My Time Capsule does 'n' and I use one older Airport Express for 'g'. The best of both worlds.

16. LameLefty

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    There's a lot of stuff "documented" in many forums. That doesn't make it correct or even relevant. Even if true (and nothing I've seen in more than a year of using multiple Apple wireless access points in WDS mode that indicates a significant hit on throughput), WDS mode has been perfectly suitable for EVERYTHING I do on my home network, including high bit-rate media streaming. Beware the FUD.

17. jhays

jhays Mentor

Dec 21, 2005
    Here's my report that will perhaps bring this thread to a close.

I did replace the ancient Linksys "Hub" with a brand new Linksys Switch (EZXS55W). Following harsh's sage advice, I avoided the Uplink port altogether and connected two HR20's (plus a MacMini) to the Airport Express using four of the five other ports.

Voila! Everything works. I didn't even have to reboot anything.

Now--on to trying some of the neat things one can do with networked DVRs!

Thanks to all of you for your comments and advice.