1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networking Problem

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Geronimo, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Jul 1, 2002 #1 of 29
    Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I once had DSL and a PNA network. I was a happy man.

When Northpoint went under I scrambled and eventually got a cable modem. My PNA network ceased to work during the period I had no access.

I got ambitious one day and decided to go from a PNA network with a PC server to a wireless router. I Chose the Linksys. It is a combo model with 4 Ethernet connections. Lo and behold I got two of my machine to work just fine via wireless . The lone holdout is the machine that was originally hooked up to the modem and served as the server.

Interestingly I c an see the other machines. I simply cannot access the net or ping anything including the router. I have tried wireless and wired solutions. I have tried dynamic and static addressing. Any thoughts. Could my cable company have done something when they installed (I would love to blame them).

Yes I have called Linksys and all seems to be set up well----and again I can see the rest of the network. I just cant access the net.

2. Jul 1, 2002 #2 of 29
    Lightnin1

Lightnin1 DishRetailer.com Administrator/Supporter

Apr 23, 2002
    Can you get an IP address from the router? Check and see. You would not be able to ping the router if it's not handing out an IP address.

3. Jul 1, 2002 #3 of 29
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Is there any firewall SW installed on that non-functioning machine, may have part of initial install? It could be that Firewall SW locked out most access. I once was playing around with Norton firewall and installed in on Win2000 Advanced Server in most restrictive mode. Made the machine just about useless as a server.

4. Jul 1, 2002 #4 of 29
    cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    Some ideas to try....

Try ipconfig /all at the command prompt. If you have an IP, that's step 1. Check whether you have the same workgroup name, that could be it. Also, check to make sure you have all the right protocols installed. (probably not this if you can see the internal network)

Check your NIC in another box to make sure it works. Do you have any conflicts in the Device Manager?

Are you getting lights on the NIC?

Is the router showing any connection to that PC?

Do you have encryption set on the router? Does the PC have the password?

Did you set up a gateway on th PC in TCP/IP properties? If so, you probably need to zonk it and let it detect everything automatically.

Did you clone your MAC address? There may be a conflict.

5. Jul 1, 2002 #5 of 29
    Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    First of all yes. It does assign an address. I also went to ststic IPS. So I have an address.

No firewall. I had Zone Alarm but took it off.

I ahve the same workgroup and can see the other machines fine.

NIC is fine and I have tried a USB wireless, a USB NIC, and a wireless card before the NIC card. Same result each time.

No device manager conflicts

Yes lights on the NIC and the router.

WEP encryption is disabled.

I have a gateway now but have also done dynamic addressing and same result each way.

Not sure how to check MAC address on the PC. On the router yes but not on the PC. where would I find this?

And thanks to all for the help.

6. Jul 1, 2002 #6 of 29
    bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    Geronimo- Go to Start run type ping 192.168.1.1 from each computer. If each computer pings try checking IP adresses make sure that the first 3 octets are 192.168.1.xxx

If thats all good then your setup is fine and you must set your cable which usally is the first two lines in the router setup page.

If you have ATTBI. For the domain name type attbi.com and leave the host name blank.

For ALL: Clone your mac adress by going to advanced-Mac Adrdr.clone

Find the mac in back of your modem and type it in click apply and then try to go on the net.

7. Jul 1, 2002 #7 of 29
    bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    Two things that can help us out is the type of modem you have and your cable company.

8. Jul 1, 2002 #8 of 29
    cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    I wonder if maybe Zone Alarm didn't fuly deinstall. Check the Processes to see if a Zone Alarm engine is still running.

Did you have a gateway setup in the TCP/IP config properties?

9. Jul 1, 2002 #9 of 29
    Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    ZA does not show up

Yes I have a gateway

Will try to check MAC.

It is a Toshiba Cable modem and Cox Cable

10. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    I want to make some things clear. All is well with the other two machines. Including net access ao the MAC clone on the router is fine.

As I mentioned I can do everyything from those machines but cannot ping the router from the original net machine. i may reinstall and deinstall ZA. It cant hurt.

11. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    From checking my notes MAC Address comes from the ISP not modem. When I tried modem address no machine could access the net. Back to the one from Cox and all but original are fine.

Will try ZA install and deinstall though----it cant hurt.

Did try it----no difference.

12. bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002
    I have been looking at the linksys sites and your DNS,Hostname,and Domain name should be blank.And for Cox you dont need to have mac cloned.

So the problem must lie with in the ips of the comps connected to the router.

Try setting the Router to DHCP(not static) and specyfing and ip like 192.168.107 Subnet: 255.255.255.0 on one of the computers that dont connect.Restart then go to 192.168.1.1 and click apply.Then see if you can connect by going to www.google.com

Also do you have the newest firmware for the linksys?

13. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Will try the rest but yes I have the latest firmware.

14. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Can you PING the any of the other machines on your net?

15. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    No Ic annot ping anything else but I can read the files on those machines.

Not sure how to follow your paragraph on DHCP. I have specified an address ON THE PC, subnet mask as well. But Ia m unclear if you are talking about PC or router settings.

16. n0qcu

Mar 23, 2002
    Do this for me, goto a command prompt and type in ROUTE PRINT, and copy the info to your clipboard and paste the info either in a reply or if you don't want it public in a PM to me. I'll see if that gives me some ideas to help you.

I just realized you can't send the info that way with no connection to the net from that PC. change the command to:
    ROUTE PRINT > ROUTE.TXT and copy that file to a pc with net access and then copy the info to message.

thanks

17. bogi

bogi Godfather

Apr 2, 2002

DHCP on router

On the PCs just staticly set the two comps that dont work give them satic ips with the 192.168.xxx ip And the subnet. Restart log on to 192.168.1.1 click apply and try to go to a website.This helped me on some comps which had problems getting internet through the linksys.

18. Geronimo

Mar 23, 2002
    Two computers DO work. One does not. And all have static IPs. I suspect a software or hardware conflict but cant isolate one.

19. n0qcu

Mar 23, 2002
    thats why i'd like to see the routing table

20. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I may have lost some of the details in the previous notes. But if the router is setup properly, using DHCP for every machine will save you sooo much time and agrivation. My ISP changed DNS setting the last time I rebooted the DSL router and the 3 machines with DHCP continued on their way. The one machine with static addressing (no reason other than I want it static) had all these problems. Put it to DHCP and all went great.

And also have the router use DHCP to get the info from the ISP. unless you are hosting a server, DHCP even on the router to the ISP will not hurt you.

I'd say that a large percentage of my TCPIP support problems at work were Hard coded things (in a host file, etc) that did not dynamically update