1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Apple Tablet Reader Thingy May Kill Kindle

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Marlin Guy, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
  2. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    ...and HOW much will this cost?

...and WHAT bookstores will you be able to buy from and have "60 second delivery" via wireless?

3. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    That's the big question. Amazon has a huge library of books that Apple might have a hard time beating.

Also, the Kindle uses ink, not a backlit LCD screen. Big difference in the experience especially when reading for long periods of time.

4. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    So, will people talk about Apple 'copying' Microsoft with the tablet computer (and subsequent OS of course)? Microsoft already tried to do something like this...but it didn't work out so well..., I bet they won't though....

But, knowing the Apple Fanboys, this will probably be God's next gift to mankind, given through the surrogate of Steve Jobs and Apple....

5. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Apple has done great things with iTunes etc., but this is Amazon we are talking about here... :lol:

6. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009
    When you're at the top of heap, there's but one way to go from there.
    I think the Apple device will have a following, but it won't topple the Kindle.
    I think B&N's nook has a better shot at doing that with its open format support.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Just agitated speculation between ppl who like to stir a pot. :D

As to technical point - if it work 6 hours I would be surprised.

8. itguy05

itguy05 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    I don't think this will be coming. There's no market for it. Like you said, MS tried and tablets pretty much failed miserably. I'm as much an Apple guy as anyone but I just don't think it will come and be good.

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I think tablets may have failed in the past because the expectations were they would be nearly a 100% replacement for a laptop.

If the Apple tablet is no more than an iPod on steroids with a large screen, an innovative "reading" app, a full-featured browser and decent weight, battery life and wireless connectivity, I think it could be a hit. Especially among students, if the "keyboard" works well enough to allow them to write papers on it and it's priced right.

10. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    But how can you have decent battery life on a tablet, when the primary reason the Kindle has such long life is the black-and-white e-ink technology. Also, the Wifi connection probably drains the battery much faster than the Kindle's.

11. Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy Hall Of Fame

Apr 8, 2009

Precisely.
    In the last 3 years or so, the definition of a laptop, and therefor too the definition of a tablet, has changed.
    It's not expected to be a portable desktop.
    It is an upgrade to a handheld or a cell phone.

Apple has always been good at recognizing a market that no one could see.
    We had personal music players before the i-pod.
    We had PDA's before the i-phone.
    But in both cases, they have redefined the markets.

12. itguy05

itguy05 Legend

Oct 24, 2007
    But I still ask the question why? Sales of e-readers while high have not set the world on fire. Certainly not revolutionary or anything like that. I work in IT and nobody has one or talks about them. Doesn't bode well for a new Apple device.

That definition sure seems like a Netbook and would probably be the best thing Apple could do.

Cause the prior options were horrible. I had a RIO 600. Decent little device. Horrible to manage music, very limited storage, and horrible display. The iPod was huge - 5GB (vs 128MB), had great syncing software, and had a decent display.

I had many PDA's, from Windows Mobile Crapfetsts, to Palms, and about the best was the PalmOS ones. They worked and worked well. I had a Treo 650. Decent phone but some of the things sucked (like the reliability). The iPhone was an evolution that nobody really did before - great screen, OK battery life, decent storage, and an OS that's very easy to use and reliable.

I just think a tablet doesn't fit the Apple mold. They have great notebooks (IMO The best), great mobile devices, etc. About the only thing they need is something along the lines of a $500 laptop like a netbook. Not a tablet.

But who knows, I'm not the CEO of one of the most successful tech companies. :(

13. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    It's a near certainty that the books will be through iTunes.

My kindle is just fine. :D

Mike