1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Box Less Wires?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by vbedford, Nov 6, 2018.

1. vbedford

vbedford AllStar

Jul 24, 2008
    Does anybody out there know if this is in the works?

I mean i am looking at my set up and it crazy just for one box.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A totally wireless DVR? :)

Rich

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Well, if you're using a SWiM LNB you should be down to one wire from the LNB to an 8 port splitter with one wire to each client. The only way to get lower would be to get some wireless clients for the non-DVR STB's and maybe replace the HR22 with a HR54 (or one of the other DVR's) which can power the LNB so you don't need a power inserter. If you want to go down to one wire you could get a HS17 Genie 2 and go all wireless clients, with maybe needing one coax run to a remote spot for a wireless video bridge to provide a good enough signal to all the wireless clients that are too far from the HS17 which has an internal WVB.

4. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If you don't have one wire coming off your dish you can certainly get fewer wires than you have now. Though you will always have one to each receiver unless you use wireless clients - but those can have their own issues so most here stay away from them.

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Well, you have three DVRs and three receivers supporting what I assume are six TV locations (according to your signature). You could replace the whole batch with an HS17 and with (preferably wired) clients to each TV location. As RAD noted, that would get you to one coax to each viewing location, plus one wire to the HS17 itself (which doesn't connect to a TV directly but needs to be in the system someplace). There are wireless clients available (no coax to them), but you still need to have an hdmi cable from the client to the television, and a power cord, at every TV location. And most here, as noted already, recommend wired versus wireless clients.

The HS17 has 8 tuners and can allow up to 7 simultaneous clients to watch live TV and/or recordings. So that would cover your current situation. The only "gotcha" you have to consider is how many live TV shows are you viewing at the same time you are recording? The 8 tuners have to support both at the same time.

The client is essentially the same as sitting at the HS17 - so all of your clients would be able to schedule recordings, change things, delete things, etc. The system actually works very well.