1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new channel ota pickup via hr20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by FUCCO, Jun 11, 2009.

1. FUCCO

FUCCO Legend

Oct 5, 2007
    I have the hr20 with a ota antenna plugged in. Recently wgrz (nbc) launched a third channel (2-3) which carries RTN network. My hr20 does not download this channel yet. What is the time frame i should expect before directv catches up and downloads this into my reciever. I tried redownloading the local ota channels but no luck. I know the channel is alive and well because i pick it up on 2 different tv's with atsc tuners. thanks

2. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Give it a couple of weeks. It usually takes that long before the station starts to show up in guides, etc..

BTW, It never hurts to contact the station and mention to them that their station is not popping up in online TV listings, etc.

Do not mention DirecTV as you will probably get the typical canned response of how the channel is not available on DirecTV, etc...

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    You can check http://www.zap2it.com and see if it shows up there, since that is derived from the same database that Directv uses. There is a link on that site to submit corrections, which may help.

4. DodgerKing

DodgerKing Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2008
    That is not accurate at all. We have locals in my area that have been in HD and one substation through Direct for a few months and yet zap2it still does not have them listed in the guide.

5. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    How about a link to what Tribune has? Do they have anything accessible by the public?

6. mabellboi

mabellboi Mentor

Sep 16, 2007
    Unless you have a desire to record what is on those channels with the dvr, I would suggest bypassing the dvr all together with the digital signals, if your tv will support digital..

I've noticed for quite some time that the dvr seems to weaken the digital signals a bit... I get better reception of the digital channels with the rabbit ears plugged directly into my TV than I do using the DVR.

With the ears plugged into the dvr, I also notice that I do a TON more repositioning of the ears than I do when it's just the TV and the ears...

I live in North Buffalo, btw... Not sure where you are, but with digital, it's all LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION....

7. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    HR20's ATSC tuner apparantly is of an early generation and not so good at handling weaker signals or multipath. I hear the AM21 is better. I have no 1st hand experience with the AM21, though. My DTT900 set top box tuner is later generation and is very good. My Samsung DLP TV is also rather good. Hr20 not nearly as good. I live in an attenuated signal area.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Um, are you saying you have breakup and pixilization? A weak signal and a strong signal look identical as long as the signal is just strong enough to pick up the signal and display the picture and sound without breakup... I have had no issues at all with my HR20's...

9. David Carmichael

David Carmichael Legend

Mar 11, 2007
    HR20-100 Digital Transition KWCH 12-1 & KMTW 36-1

This seems to be the best thread / forum to post this message..

Since the change over last night to their new stations I can no longer tune in KWCH 12-1 or KMTW 36-1 can not be tuned in using the OFF AIR tuner of my HR20-100.

It has the latest software downloaded just this week : 0x312 Wed 6/10, 2:23am

I CAN tune into KWCH 12-2 their local 24 hour weather station!

and YES I have rescanned and even ' BIG RED BUTTON 'ed the receiver.

--David