New Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Martha Harper, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Martha Harper

Martha Harper New Member

Oct 14, 2019
    I have asked Direct TV for several years to add METV, (classic TV) in Hampton Roads. Cox, Fios and Dish offer this channel. I never get a response from programming, how do I get someone to listen?

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I had no idea what Me-TV was. Glad to see it's not some Hallmark Channel wanna-be. Looks interesting, hope your wish is fulfilled.

Rich

3. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    I would like to request H&I
    Also in Hampton roads lol

And I believe me-TV is a local sub channel
    Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    It's a confusing situation to me ...

As it seems that in DIRECTV's case if MeTV or H&I are broadcast on a primary OTA channel in a local market, then DIRECTV will carry those networks over satellite on that station in its LiLs for that market.

But if they're broadcast on a secondary OTA subchannel however, then DIRECTV won't carry them.

DISH however carries MeTV (don't know about H&I) as a national feed, so is available to all their subscribers like a basic nationwide cable channel.

Why the difference in the two ways of carriage by the two providers, I have no idea ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

dtv757 likes this.
  5. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    The primary channel is protected by law. If the station chooses "must carry" only the primary feed must be carried. A station can choose "consent to carry" and withhold their signal unless their price is met ... but the less popular channels choose "must carry", accepting no payment for retransmission but gaining a slot on the system.

More popular stations (including major networks) choose "consent to carry" and negotiate carriage of their signal. That negotiation can include the request that the satellite carrier carries sub channels. But the subchannels are not protected in the same way as the main channel.

(The rules are different in Alaska and Hawaii where subchannel carriage is required by federal law.)

cielohajames2005 likes this.
  6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But do you know why DISH carries the MeTV network as a national service on CONUS transponders. And DIRECTV, if any, only on LiL market spotbeam tps.?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

7. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Don't confuse a network with an OTA channel. My response is accurate as it applies to OTA channels rebroadcast by a satellite companies.
    OTA channels (forget the network) are delivered in market, usually via spot beams.
    Networks can be delivered OTA or via other means (including DISH's carriage).

8. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Presumably Dish has paid MeTV for the right to do so.

9. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    By your logic, we should all be able to get DNS since the network doesn't matter ("via other means") and Directv wouldn't carry major network LP stations because the network doesn't matter. All the full-power, primary signals are carried in-market, very true. But they make it possible to receive ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, PBS, and even CW from other markets if those networks aren't met. They don't do that for things like MeTV on Directv. But they do with ion and also SBN, TBN, and other PI channels that some people have as locals (primary or subchannels).

Don't forget the TCT "network" that allows Directv to NOT carry the OTA locals via satellite for LIL, even if they would otherwise qualify, because they have the national feed.

H&I is carried in the Burlington, VT market because it is on the primary signal of My Network affiliate WYCI 22 hours per day, all day on weekends (save local sports).

Justice Network, which is usually a subchannel, is carried on Directv in Boston because it is on the primary channel of WWJE. SBN is carried twice by Directv as it is a local (WMFP) and they have the national feed. A lot of people have ion twice, but not everyone has their actual local feed.

MeTV is carried by Directv in a few markets because MeTV is on the primary (xx-1) channel OTA of those stations.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    You won't. Perhaps you could get them to send you an LCC. Are you within OTA range of MeTV?

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I don't believe I have ever seen a display of misreading one of my posts that was worse that what you have posted above!

The whole point is to separate the concept of "network" from "OTA channel". The laws that allow and control local into local carriage (the "locals" you receive on DIRECTV) relate to over the air TV channels, not the networks they carry. Each channel, whether a network affiliate or not, has the choice of "must carry" or "consent to carry". Choosing "consent to carry" means the stations can get something in exchange for their consent - usually money (with some passed on to their network IF they are a network affiliate). Choosing "must carry" means they station will be carried but won't receive any compensation from the satellite carrier.

Please re-read that paragraph until you understand it. The local into local carriage laws are network agnostic.

Separate from that law DIRECTV can carry other channels - networks such as TNT, MSNBC, Hallmark, etc. They can't carry any of those networks without permission from the owners. DIRECTV can't carry Pac-12 networks since they don't have permission from the owners. They also cannot pick up the satellite feeds of other networks such as ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox (intended for OTA affiliates) and retransmit them without permission. Permission being the key.

DNS is NOT local into local. It is a special case where affiliates of certain broadcast networks (not every network) can be retransmitted under narrow rules. Perhaps you are confused due to DIRECTV using O&O stations as DNS? A DNS station can be any affiliate that is outside of the market where it is carried. DNS does not have to be a national set of affiliates - the affiliate provided under the separate DNS laws (separate from local into local) could be different in every market where DNS is allowed.

Outside of the local into local and DNS laws, AT&T|DIRECTV could make a deal directly with a major network such as NBC to carry the NBC broadcast network. There is no law against that. But there is an agreement between NBC and their affiliates that grants the affiliates first run rights for the network content within each market. It would be a violation of that agreement (not a law) if NBC had such a deal. That being said, NBC could alter their affiliation agreement to allow for such a network. They could redefine the number of days granted to the affiliate for first run rights or limit those rights to OTA delivery (including rebroadcasts). Knowing that the less rights they grant to their affiliates the less value the affiliation agreement has for the affiliates. If NBC rewrote the affiliation agreement to allow for a national simulcast via a new NBC TV satellite/cable channel they would likely lose affiliates. (ION and TBN are examples of where the network has directly negotiated carriage - but their affiliation contracts do not have the same limitations as NBC's.)

It is important to understand that every channel, every feed on DIRECTV comes down to a rights issue. DIRECTV can receive the rights to carry content in many different ways. Content can be delivered via many different ways. It can be confusing when one doesn't understand how rights work.

12. dod1450

dod1450 Legend

Dec 16, 2009
    No LCC is being distruted. The Reason there are no longer any channels in disputes

13. Richjr42

Richjr42 New Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Unless it’s a sub channel,you won’t get Me-TV on Directv unless the owner of Me(Weigel Broadcasting)buys a channel in your area like they did in the Los Angeles viewing area when they bought KAZA Channel 54.

14. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have re-read your paragraph many times, before I posted before. I understand the process. I do not understand your explanation. It sounds like fanboy propaganda.

15. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    You are probably thinking of something else. I have covered the issues in my posts for those that do understand.

compnurd likes this.
  16. scottchez

scottchez Icon

Feb 4, 2003
    I get METV and H&I real good on my AM-21 and HR54. Does not work on an HR17
    I can record Two channels at once and I get full guide data.

I got the AM-21 on that bid web site as they dont sell them any more at Directv, they are the older OTA device.
    They also do not sell the LCC. Some got them in the last local disputes.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've never used one of them. When did you get and did you have to have it activated by D*?

Rich

18. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    Neither the AM21 or the LCC need to be activated.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Surprises me, this does. I thought D* and ATT never missed a chance to squeeze every nickle from us.

Rich