1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Channels

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by damondlt, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar 6, 2006 #1 of 95
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Does anyone know if we are going to get any new channels?? And maybe what they might be??I know we don't need any more (shop at home) channels!!!:confused:

2. Mar 6, 2006 #2 of 95
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    We just got BETJ last week and Sleuth is coming this spring.

3. Mar 6, 2006 #3 of 95
    damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    What the heck is Sleuth?? And BETJ I"LL NEVER WATCH. I have no interest in JAZZ.I think they can do alot better then that for a new channel.

4. Mar 6, 2006 #4 of 95
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    Every new channel will not always appeal to you. Many people requested BETJ (formally BET Jazz) and value its addition.

As for Sleuth, do a search and you'll find your answer.
    http://www.dbstalk.com/search.php

5. Mar 6, 2006 #5 of 95
    pomeroy

pomeroy Legend

Jan 2, 2005
    WOW! Sleuth looks like a Awesome Channel! Simon & Simon, A-Team, Miami Vice, Knight Rider, and a channel just for Crime shows! What a great idea
    I hope your right and Directv gets it, that would definitely make things look better:D

I might have to get a R15 just for that!

Heres a link to the channel: Enjoy:D
    www.sleuthchannel.com

6. Mar 6, 2006 #6 of 95
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    They show ads for it alot on one of the HD channels, either Universal HD, or HDNet, cant remember...I just wish that it would be in HD....who the heck wants more crappy looking SD channels added?

7. Mar 6, 2006 #7 of 95
    KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    They are, they recently issued a press release about carraige deals with both D* and E*
    It's most likely Universal HD, as it's NBC Universal who owns Sleuth. As for being in HD, they will be launching an HD Version of Sleuth this summer, but whether or not D* will carry it is unknown.

8. Mar 7, 2006 #8 of 95
    JLucPicard

JLucPicard Hall Of Fame

Apr 27, 2004
    Given the programs I've heard will be on it, the HD version would most likely be "morphed" like TNT HD. I just don't consider that HD, I'd rather watch the unstretched version. It would be awesome if there were some true HD programming, though! Can you imagine Miami Vice in true HD!!!

9. Mar 7, 2006 #9 of 95
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002

It is a great channel. As I said in another thread, it's the best new channel to come around in years. I watch it quite often. Being born when most of these shows were in their prime, I'm seeing most of this stuff for the first time (sans Vice, used to watch it on FX)

10. Bobman

Bobman Hall Of Fame

Jan 3, 2006
    First it was the homosexual channel, then a homosexual PPV channel, then an African American channel now an African American Jazz channel.

No telling whats next as DirecTV seems to be preferring nitch programming over channels for the masses.

11. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    1. Here! PPV came before Logo
    2. Other recent additions include Great American Country, Fox Reality, GOL TV, ESPNU and Lifetime Real Women
    3. As you have been told before in another thread where you made a post similar to that one, there are no new channels for the "masses", nearly every channel that appeals to the "masses" was added several years ago. Nearly every new channel will be a niche channel, some you might like, and others you won't like, but others value. If you want channels for the masses, don't complain to D*, complain to the major media companies who have only been launching digital nets that apply to niche audiences for the past couple of years.

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003

WOW! BET Jazz. I liked that channel back in 1999 when I had AT&T Cable. I've got E and we don't have it. We just got Tjhe Tennis channel. :rolleyes:

13. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    YEA I'm sure that channels been on everyone's A list. I think XM has about 3 of them on directv. Thanks though!!

14. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Sleuth is at least a start.!!

15. UKintheUS

UKintheUS Godfather

Dec 23, 2005
    BBC World News at some point also, so the BBC claim. Though there advertising campain still says contact you operator

16. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    As long as there not adding anymore shop at home channels.we don't need anymore!

17. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Directv is who I make my check out to!!!!! Not Major Media.

18. IndyMichael

IndyMichael Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 25, 2003
    Indiana
    I'd rather have the two local Indianapolis channels Dish offers, that DirecTv doesn't, than any other new channels.

19. pomeroy

pomeroy Legend

Jan 2, 2005
    I agree, Like alot of channels these days they are all owned by big studios and only show programming they own. Sleuth being from Universal its all Universal crime shows, I am glad to see Simon & Simon on there and surely Magnum pi is not far behind,
    The bad part is NO "CHiPs", Hardcastle & McCormick, Riptide, and other classic crime shows:(

20. KyL416

KyL416 Hall Of Fame

Nov 10, 2005
    Tobyhanna, PA
    And a portion of the check you make out to DirecTV goes to those major media companies who program the channels. The fact of the matter is that it's the major media companies, like Time Warner, Viacom, NBC Universal and Disney, who decide what channels are created, and as long as they continue to create niche channels, that's all you will see being added to the lineup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.