new contract?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by metsfan, Sep 20, 2019.

1. metsfan

metsfan New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    ive had directv sd for 10 years. my initial contract expired years ago

i want hd now but the installer is saying i may need a contract. the installer will call me back and tell me if i need a contract

is this normal? can i negotiate my way around it? i dont want a contract i want to be on month to month like i am now

i thought i read all new activation of a directv stb requires a contract

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  2. Steady Teddy

Steady Teddy Godfather

Jan 23, 2007
    If you get new equipment you must commit up front to a new contract. At least one year I think, maybe two. That’s always been the case unless they’ve changed their policy lately which is unlikely.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  3. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    Since you've been gone for a few years, you will be a new customer. Ask about any new customer promotions and incentives. However, you will get a 2-yr contract commitment. No way around that.

4. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    If you have MPEG 2 SD you should be entitled to a free no commitment upgrade. MPEG 2 will no longer work first for locals and then for other channels before long. Check with Directv to see if you qualify. Also includes no HD, DVR or Whole Home Fees if your equipment is obsolete.

5. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    They were upgrading all sd customers to mpeg4 boxes at no charge. I don't know if they still are. Call and ask.

6. metsfan

metsfan New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    hi
    im not a new customer. ive been with directv 10 years and am still with them. my initial contract ran out i am now on month to month

7. TV_Guy

TV_Guy New Member

Nov 16, 2007
    You need to call them. Good chance your equipment will cease to function in the foreseeable future when SD broadcasts cease. If you can get a free no commitment upgrade with no additional fees your only headache is a new install since your existing dish probably needs to be replaced along with your receivers.

8. metsfan

metsfan New Member

Sep 20, 2019
    could anyone who knows directv sd will go dark, explain how they know this?

im not aware of any official announcement it will go dark

directv tech support did tell me he thought sd would go dark by the end of this year. however the tech really didnt sound that sure

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They originally planned to drop MPEG2 SD by the end of this year, but they had to change the schedule, it is now apparently sometime in 2021 but I don't think anyone has a hard date.

We know because they announced this to dealers back in 2016 and that was posted here, and they started sending letters to SD customers early last year letting them know. I don't think they've contacted them all (the schedule change probably interrupted that) but if you have SD equipment (D12 etc.) but haven't been contacted, you will get something probably at least six months before you will be affected.