DBSTalk Forum banner

New Cust. Wanted HR24, Got HR23, Told can't get HR24

9K views 107 replies 30 participants last post by  Shades228 
#1 ·
I guess I should have done my research a little better. I am a brand new customer. Had everything installed yesterday. When the tech brought out the HD DVR I noticed it was the HR23 model. I told him I noticed it wasn't the latest model and he said he didn't have any HR24s, but if I call DirecTV after everything was setup, they could send me out an HR24. I took his word for it and let him proceed. I called this morning and was told numerous times that they had no way of sending out an HR24. They could try sending a new HD DVR and we could hope and see what I get, but that's it. I explained I was expecting the latest equipment since I'm brand new on a two year agreement. I then asked if I could cancel. I was told I could before midnight tonight, however, the $215 I paid up front for the equipment would not be refunded because it was already activated. I was on the phone for 54 minutes and 53 seconds trying to get this resolved.

I have been told I have tow options. 1) live with what I got or 2) cancel before midnight and lose the $215 I spent on equipment fees.

I realize the difference between the HR23 and HR24 is minor (I've seen the YouTube video showing the speed). At this point, I feel as if the installer lied to me so he could complete the job and move on. I know, they are just installers, but I feel they represent DirecTV and hence, DirecTV should be responsible for their actions/words.

Does anyone know of another option I might have? I like the fact I can have a single DVR in the house and two TVs can access the one list (I have an H24 upstairs). That's the main reason I went with DirecTV over Dish Network...but now I'm feeling like I should cancel while I can and try something else. (shoot we don't even watch that much TV...for the $200 I am going to lose I should have just gotten a Tivo).

See less See more
#2 ·
Is it really worth $215 to you? My advice is to stick with what you got. The installer didn't have them on the truck and he may have honestly not known they can't specify receivers to be sent out. It's not that big of a deal IMHO. Yes, they are great, but they aren't worth getting so upset over.

In a few years HR24s will be stuffed away in our closets as spares since something better will inevitably come along...

#3 ·
Yea that sucks. When I got DTV last fall I wanted HR23's and he brought all HR22's. I didn't throw 2 big a fit since there wasn't much difference anyway.

The 24's however are another story. Your best play would have been when he got there before he even started ask what he has and just refuse the install. Now that you have everything up and running I think your kinda SOL.

You could keep calling in and try to figure something out but I think your drawing very slim getting anywhere. If it really bugs you that much you prob have to cancel and I don't even know if you could start over.

There is a reason DirecTV has an "F" rating with the BBB and it's because of crap like this. As a customer PAYING lease fee's for equipment you should have the right to pick out the model you want. The idiot balloon heads that came up with this policy needs to be axed.

The worst part is DTV comes out with this nice new box, you can't even call DTV to order that model, you just have to get lucky. What kind of crack are they smoking.

Well like I said your best play would have been to just refuse the install but now you either gotta suck it up and keep it, cancel or just order your boxes online and replace them which is total bs.

#5 ·
The other side of this, that people tend to forget, is that all the DVRs are the same price. I personally think it would be great if you could order just the one you wanted but the other side of that would be that there would probably be a different charge for one with OTA vs. one without, for a faster one vs. a slower one, for more capacity vs. less.

If you argue that the HR21-100 is the slowest, least capable, smallest capacity DVR in the line and the HR24-500 is the fastest, most capable, highest capacity DVR, you have to realize they're both $199 or less.

Would people pay $299 for an HR24? I don't know. Or would DIRECTV have to discount the HR22 to $99?

#7 ·
bshockley said:
I have been told I have two options. 1) live with what I got or 2) cancel before midnight and lose the $215 I spent on equipment fees.
There is a 3rd option, order an HR24 from an online retailer (like solid signal) for around $199, then send the HR23 back to Directv once you have activated the HR24. If you call Directv before the midnight deadline, there is a (small) chance you could negotiate a $199 credit for the HR24.

:)

#8 ·
gfrang said:
From the review i watched comparing the two the only speed difference is in accessing the to do list no big deal for me.
The following was copied from the HR24-500 First Look document:

Now the major difference: speed! Raw, unmitigated quickness is evident through every single moment using these boxes. The UI responds instantly to nearly any possible command - menus pop up, pages scroll as fast as you can press the button, even a unified Playlist of several terabytes' worth of programming scrolls through like lightning. Direct channel changes with the remote are quick and accurate, and channels change as fast as the HDMI handshake with the attached set will allow.

:)

#9 ·
I'm scheduled for a new install this coming Saturday. I made it clear to DTV that I would only accept the HR24 DVR and no other. I made it clear I would send them away if they showed up with a different box. They said they can put it in the notes.

I confirmed with the local installer (just this morning) that they have HR24's and my notes say to bring one, so we shall see.

If they show up without one, I will not allow them to install. Having tested the HR24, I want nothing else. Now I would kill to have FiOS, but it is not an option where I live and Comcast is crap, so DTV will work for me if I have a real nice piece of equipment.

Otherwise, I'll suck it up and go Comcrap.

#10 ·
Matt_Stevens said:
I'm scheduled for a new install this coming Saturday. I made it clear to DTV that I would only accept the HR24 DVR and no other. I made it clear I would send them away if they showed up with a different box. They said they can put it in the notes.

I confirmed with the local installer (just this morning) that they have HR24's and my notes say to bring one, so we shall see.

If they show up without one, I will not allow them to install. Having tested the HR24, I want nothing else. Now I would kill to have FiOS, but it is not an option where I live and Comcast is crap,
, so DTV will work for me if I have a real nice piece of equipment.

Even the first HDdvr HR20 is light years ahead of Comcrap's dvr,i myself would not do that:nono:

#11 ·
To the OP, I would write to the Customer Advocacy Team via ellen.filipiak@directv.com. You normally don't get the chance to pick the receiver you get, but as you said, either the installer was just wrong or he lied to finish the job and move on. Either way, it puts you in a position where you now have activated receivers and fewer options, whereas if you the installer had either been honest or better informed, you would have been able to tell him that you didn't want to continue the install.

I would write to that address and see if they are able to help you.

#12 ·
Not that this is actually a happy solution, but if you are considering canceling and paying $215 as part of the cancellation, then you could always buy a 24 online for roughly the same price, activate it and then deactivate the 23 (having to return it of course).

Still not good, but for the same price as dropping the service you'd be able to keep it and have what you want. Still, as others have said, sticking with the HR23 will work well for many people. I used one myself for nearly 2 years and was happy with it.

#14 ·
George M said:
Is ellen.filipiak@directv.com still in her postion? I sent her an email this morning about another item and waiting to hear back? How long does it usually take for her to respond?
Ellen has a team to help her out. I don't think she ever actually responds directly herself, but she might from time to time. Typically they will get back to you within the day. Did you provide a phone number?

The best way is to use this link:
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIFnorail.jsp?assetId=P4960016#h:596.379

This way all of the pertinent information is available for them.

#16 ·
George M said:
Is ellen.filipiak@directv.com still in her postion? I sent her an email this morning about another item and waiting to hear back? How long does it usually take for her to respond?
They usually call me the next day when I have emailed.

#17 ·
Matt_Stevens said:

If they show up without one, I will not allow them to install. Having tested the HR24, I want nothing else. Now I would kill to have FiOS, but it is not an option where I live and Comcast is crap, so DTV will work for me if I have a real nice piece of equipment.

:lol:

#18 ·
After a few months with my HR24 I have to say that while it is technically faster than my HR20's, in reality it is not that noticeable. If you asked anyone in the house, other than me, they would not say there's a difference. With Whole Home DVR service, it is not worth any more, except for the absence of some wires off the back of the HR24 vs. the HR20.

#19 ·
I just had my install on Saturday. I did the same as you - I put comments in my order stating I wanted 24s and would accept nothing else. I was a bit stressed over it as I didn't want to lay out all this cash ($300) for old equipment. I decided if the installer didn't have 24's I would cancel the install.

Lucky for me when the installer called a few hours ahead of the appointment I was able to mention that I wanted the HR24s and H24s. He said he'd do his best. The first question I asked when he arrived is whether he had them. He later mentioned that when I asked him on the phone he knew I was more informed than the average customer and as a result he made sure to bring them.

I think if they had given me a hard time and given me older/used equipment I probably would have opted to stay with Fios. I held off cancelling that service until this morning just in case. It's only been a day or so but so far these DVRs and the whole house viewing rock!

#21 ·
When I had my MRV installed a couple months ago, I was speaking to the DirecTV installer and his supervisor, both from DTV and not a sub-contractor, about the HR24 and H24 receivers. The supervisor told me that ALL new customers are supposed to receive the HR24 and H24 receivers upon installation. Like Sim-X stated earlier, you should have just refused the installation.

#23 ·
Doug Brott said:
I think that's "All new customer who also order whole-home" are supposed to get 24s. I'm not sure that's the case when whole home isn't ordered.
That would be my parent's, who are scheduled for Saturday. Looks like I might have to raise a fuss if they bring something else, even though I don't like the idea of the tech not getting paid properly. If they are supposed to get them, then I want to make sure they get them.

#25 ·
Eh, it's a PITA to schedule stuff like this since they live an hour and a half away. I just won't take an HR21-100s!

Mom has my old Series 2 Tivo and dad has a VCR so I doubt they will care about it as much as I do, but I will ask for the Hx24 and see what happens. We are doing basically a custom install so I don't think it would be nice to send the tech away too many times :)

#26 ·
I just turned my installer away a couple minutes ago. I specified hr24, he knew I wanted it, but the warehouse was out and gave him hr21 refurbs to give me. I told him i didn't want three year old equipment and he understood. They can't tell me when they will have them back in stock.

So much for all whole house installs getting the 24s only. Guess I have some phone calls to make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.