1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new customer deal ouch!!!!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tekki, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Dec 9, 2011 #1 of 26
    tekki

tekki New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    so i went online and ordered the new customer promo, half off price for a year and went with there Equipment package of 1 hd dvr and 3 hd recievers with multiroom viewing and in the checkout i changed a hd receiver to hd dvr for $99.00 and also added 2 standard receivers for free. i went.with the ultimate package, dvr service, and total equipment coverage. in my cart on final checkout i was asked to do a credit check which i was approved. i completed my order with check out saying monthly at 85.00 for year and 105.00 out of pocket for up front costs because i upgraded an hd receiver to an hd dvr. my card was cbarged 105.00. the installer came and told me i was the first in my area to get these new recievers. i say cool deal and he installed 2 hr34 along with all my other equipment. he did a great job. so i go online and was looking for online scheduler stuff and see i have a bill to be paid for 699.95. so i hsve called directv and spoke with 3 different csr, and it kept getting escalated to different departments. now im waiting on a return call from thier promo department.. one csr said i changed my order at installation and tbats why i am being charged. i told her i didnt change anything, your installer came and installed the equipment and im not paying this bill, u can come.remove the equipment. it sux being in this position it really is a great setup, but not for 700. out of pocket right before christmas.
    so far ive been told that im being charged because i ordered these recievers
    also been told i changed my order at installation
    also been told i lose the deal because its over 4 recievers, which i said then the online ordering shouldnt allow the free options
    oh man this is going to be a headache to fix, or worse take it all back after seeing the picture quality that i have missed since returning to cable.
    any advice anyone can give me

2. Dec 9, 2011 #2 of 26
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Ouch is right. Welcome, but sorry you've have this problem.

Do you have a copy of the original order showing the $105 install? I would send a quick email (no attitude, just spell out what happened like you did here) to their VP of Customer Service (search here for "Ellen" or go to their website and I think there is a form you can use under "Contact Us").

I'm not current on the new customer deals, but it sounds like the installer may have installed the wrong gear. I would be surprised if the new 34's were part of that deal.

Good luck and post back here what happens. (I'd paste Ellen's email address here, but I'm responding via a mobile device and can't access it right now).

3. Dec 9, 2011 #3 of 26
    F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Actually you did get a different install to what you ordered.

A new promo gives you free HDDVR (HR2x) and up to 3 HD receivers (H2x) or SD receivers but you went HD.

Or you could pay $99 for the HMC which is the HR34 and is usually $99.

It sounds like you got two. So $800 less the $100 you had already paid for.

But that still is not correct charge as you should only have been charged $400 for the extra HR34 (and you really do not need 2!). I believe the installer made a genuine mistake (too little coffee lol) but he scans the barcode and the system does its job.

Can you tell us what models you have on each receiver? It sounds like you have 2 HR34 and 1 HR2x to be charged what you did. Clearly this is over the top and so should be able to sort it.

4. Dec 9, 2011 #4 of 26
    trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    BTW --- other people who sent the email to Ellen's office report their problems were fixed very quickly.

5. Dec 9, 2011 #5 of 26
    WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    SO the installer (installed) TWO HR34's? and one HD Receiver? For a total of 11 Tuners?

If that is the case Each HR34 is $399 Total =798 -105 = your account balance of 699 which includes $49 install perhaps-??

I suggest you call after 8 am eastern and discuss your options calmly -I suggest when ordeing a New service in the future calling first and ordering over the phone (not always full proof) but at least you can speak and learn about just what it is you are signing up for.

Good luck and Welcome to DBS talk I'm sure it will all work out.

6. Dec 9, 2011 #6 of 26
    F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I just re-read your original and you said he put in 2 HR34 along with your original equipment. I would still like to see the original order and what you have now.

Ellen's email address is ellen.filipiak@directv.com and her team helped me within a couple of hours last week with my install.

7. Dec 9, 2011 #7 of 26
    veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    So far this makes sense.
    Here's where it went south, as there is no way you would have gotten TWO HR34s, + 2 HD receivers, + 2 SD receivers for $105.

8. Dec 9, 2011 #8 of 26
    F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I am still trying to figure out why an installer would put in 2 HR34s!

You cannot order more than one online. So I think he misread the order. Hence the problems and being told that he changed his order at installation.

I bet he doesnt have a swm 16 either and cannot use all those tuners.

9. Dec 9, 2011 #9 of 26
    veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The $105 "deal" was for:
    1 HD DVR [HR24]
    2 HD receivers
    1 HD DVR upgrade [$99 + tax]
    Not sure about the "standard" receivers added.

The HR34 costs $99 for new customers, so "maybe":
    1 HR34
    3 HD receivers
    is another package, but this doesn't start out as "Free".

10. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    Ahh yes.

He ordered 2 HR2x's. First is free, second was $99 and then he had the protection which makes up the other $6 of his $105. SD receivers are free (virtually unlimited).

So it looks like the installer did make a mistake and put in 2 HR34s instead of 2 HR2x's (nice mistake to have made for you except the unexpected cost) and scanned the barcode on activating it which incurred the extra fee.

So I bet the OP does not have 2 HR2x's. And I still bet he has a swm 8 as his original order was 8 tuners (2 HR2x, 2H2x and 2 SD)

11. tekki

tekki New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    online ordering all i entered was for the HD DVR and 3 HD receiver upgrade
    i then changed one of the HD recievers to a HD dvr priced at 99.00 for the upgrade
    then i added 2 standard receivers because they were free.
    i also added the protection plan figuring it was a good idea
    i didn't request any specific model numbers i just went with what was offered for free.
    the checkout said 105.00 upfront cost, and 85.00 monthly which i thought was a great deal, thats why i chose to move from cable to Directv. my wife would have a heart attack if i was to spend money just before christmas lol.

when the installer came he told me that i was getting the newest receivers they had to offer and i was like cool.
    what he installed was
    2 HR34-700
    2 H25-500
    2 D12-500
    he also installed Dish and a switch with two splitters in the attic that said i needed to run 6 receivers. 3 wires one splitter and 4 on another splitter. he also installed a device to power up the multiplexer.
    there is also another device that he installed with a coaxial and ethernet cable to my network.

i have full media functions and sharing throughout the rooms except the standard boxes. he never mentioned to me that i would have to pay for all these additional items he added. All i ordered online was to be able to have my wife record her own shows on her own box and me mine. like my current HD tivos and be able to view recordings in any room.

this is a really nice set up, but i simply didnt order these expensive boxes, as my wife would kill me for spending this type of cash before Christmas.

i am going to email the lady you recommended, if it comes to it, i guess they will have to come remove all this equipment and install what i properly ordered. i guess the installer installed the wrong stuff.
    i didnt think to ask him about additional charges because i thought he was installing what i ordered but i just got new recievers....

12. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    You were correctly charged at checkout for what you ordered.

The installer installed the wrong equipment which then triggered the change to your account when you activated it.

The extra charge is correct for the new equipment.

Email Ellen, Explain it EXACTLY as you did in that last post you made.

They will more than likely get a tech out to swap the HR34s for HR2x's (what you ordered) and you will have the same set up that you asked for. He can literally just unplug the boxes and swap them without removing leads.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    I hope we've given you the information to help explain to Ellene's group what happened.
    I doubt you did anything "wrong" and that this all came from what the installer did, "for what ever reason". Work orders do get screwed up.
    "Worst case" should be that the HR34s need to be swapped for HR24s.

What you got were the 5 tuner DVRs instead of the 2 tuner DVRs.

"Another option" might be to swap one of the HR34s for an HD receiver. This would end up with one more "tuner" for recording than you'd have with 2 HR24s.

14. tekki

tekki New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    yes thank you for the help,i just got done sending ellen a detailed email explaining my situation and hopefully it gets sorted out before my wife shoots me.

99.00 out of pocket upfront cost,
    i really didnt realize what he was installing, after seeing the change in out of pocket and reading this forum i see the difference in the hr34 vs a hd dvr.
    truly overkill for my home. is it nice, hell ya but just not what i ordered nor can afford at this time. if i could keep it i would, just financially i cant.

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Ellen's group is pretty fast about these things. We just don't know how quick on the draw your wife might be. :D Lets hope DirecTV is faster.

16. tekki

tekki New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    I cant thank you guys enough for directing me to the proper person to speak with. After emailing Ellen i was contacted today only after a few hours of sending my email, it is all straightend out. I dont have to return any equipment and only have to pay the cost of the 1 hd dvr i upgraded from my order. After 2 days of being on the phone with 7 different CSR and departments it got all straightened out with 1 email.

Thank You so much

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Now how can I get DirecTV "to screw me" this way? !rolling

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Glad it worked out. From what you posted, the "issue" was with the installer and you shouldn't have to pay $600 for that mistake. I thought they may make you return one (or two) of the HR34s.

As VOS said, how can I get this kind of a deal?

19. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    With my luck, they'd probably install a couple of THR22's. :icon_lol:

20. F1 Fan

F1 Fan Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    I am glad it worked out for you too. They helped me with my install that went wrong too. And just helped me with some credit to an HR34 today and another free install.

I would request a favor from you. I believe this forum helped me a lot and saved me a lot of time and trouble by pointing me to Ellen and her team, without it I know I would be out of pocket or Directv. This forum is self run by the mods and people like VOS and relys of membership to keep it going. It is only $15 for the year. I believe it helped me and so I was happy to join. If you believe that it helped you I shamelessly ask you to consider joining too as a thank you to the forum and mods et all for help. (Plus you just scored $600 of new equipment that people are pepper spraying each other in another thread to get hold of it :lol:). So please consider joining by clicking the link http://www.dbstalk.com/payments.php