New customer question- TV1 and TV2 remotes

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by smdigh, Aug 16, 2010.

1. smdigh

smdigh New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    I am currently a DirectTV customer thinking of switching to Dish Network, and getting a DUO HD DVR.

I have a question about the remotes for TV1 and TV2. The TV1 remote is IR only, and TV2 is a UHF remote. Can I order a TV1 remote that is a UHF remote?

I have talked to two different Dish representatives and have been told two different stories. One representative said this is possible (need to about $40 extra for a different remote for TV1). Another representative says this is not possible.

So I was hoping someone here knows the correct answer. Should I be able to order this package, and get a UHF remote for TV1 at an additional charge?

Thank you for your help.

2. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    Yup, and i got a 21.0 UHF remote for about $10 on ebay. It's not very complicated.

Edit: What I'm trying to say is, order what you want and buy remotes off eBay. It's cheaper.

3. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    Depending on the receiver, at least that was the case a few years ago when I got my 622s, other than the 922 both remotes will be capable of IR or UHF. The remote for the 922 is UHF only and there's no TV2 currently so it only comes with 1 remote. All the replacement remotes I looked at in the Dish Store just now have dual capability and cost $20.00. You'll know for sure if you need one when you get the install.

4. smdigh

smdigh New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks for the quick replies

When I use Dish's site the receiver is listed as:
    RCVR 622/722 HD DUO. Not sure why they list two different models...

A followup quesiton. I am unclear what the benefit of purchasing the optional OTA module. The order form indicates I will receive the Minneapolis/St. Paul Locals as part of the package. Why would I need to purchase and optional OTA module?

I believe I can record two shows simultaneouly with the receiver listed above. Will I be able to record 2 LOCAL programs simultaneously without the optional OTA module?

5. olguy

olguy Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2006
    If you get a 622 or 722 they have 1 OTA tuner along with the 2 sat tuners. If you get a 722k you will need to order an OTA module and it will have 2 OTA tuners so you can record 2 sat and 2 OTA programs.

There has been a bit of discussion on the Dish forums about the 622/722/722K all being declared the same receiver by Dish earlier this year and Dish CSRs telling several of us there was no guarantee which you will get.

6. tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    The OTA tunes are only needed if you want to get locals with an antenna. If you can get locls that way you can save $5 by opting out of getting them through dish

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    But then you don't get guide data...

8. smdigh

smdigh New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    This is the part that is confusing. It sounds like Dish is providing my locals through that 1 OTA tuner and not on the 2 sat tuners? Which would mean I would not be able to record 2 local channels at the same time.

I am used to being able to record 2 locals through DirectTV. I just want to make sure I order the correct equipment so I am not surprised/disappointed at installation time.

9. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Locals are included in the package. I don't believe you can opt out.

10. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Kansas City KS
    What you get on the satellite from Dish is the primary subchannel only - anything else will have to be done OTA.

11. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
    Dish supplies all your local channels by satellite. The OTA input can also pickup your local channels if you have an OTA antenna. You can record 3 channels simultaneously ( 2 satellite and 1 OTA) with a 622 or 722. I use the OTA feeds during heavy weather when I lose the sat signals.
    If you get a 722K you will want the optional OTA module which supplies 2 OTA inputs to the receiver. You can record 4 programs( 2 satellite and 2 OTA) simultaneously.

12. OrangeandBlue33

OrangeandBlue33 Mentor

Dec 15, 2003
    The OTA module for the 722k is an extra add on that you would order separately and is an additional cost. It is an easy install if you choose to get it. It would allow you to potentially record 4 programs at once - TV1, TV2 and 2 OTA. On the 622/722 the single OTA tuner is built in, which would allow you to potentially record 3 programs - TV1, TV2 and 1 OTA. Your scanned OTA tuner channels will show up as "yellow" in the guide. When you select one of these to record, it will automatically be recorded by the OTA tuner and will not conflict with Timers on TV1 or TV2.

Your question about the remotes is one of the reasons I'm still a Dish Network subscriber. With the set up I have it was crucial for me to be able to use a UHF remote (because of some house wiring problems). I currently have my receivers in the basement and my UHF remotes work quite well in the 2nd level bedrooms. And yes - you can get a UHF remote to control TV1.

13. smdigh

smdigh New Member

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks for the response. I think I understand now.

14. TulsaOK

TulsaOK New Member

Feb 23, 2004
    Additionally, programs via OTA are much sharper due to less compression. Also, the "trick plays" (Skip fwd/rev and frame by frame) actually work on OTA.

15. OrangeandBlue33

OrangeandBlue33 Mentor

Dec 15, 2003
    Just to clarify if it wasn't clear - even if you do not get the OTA module for the 722k, you can still record two Local channels at the same time - 1 on TV1 and another on TV2 (assuming you have the locals which are included in most packages). The extra benefit in having the OTA module is allowing for even more simultaneous recordings. As someone else mentioned - it is also helpful to have during storm season as you can still pick up your local channels if rainfade were to occur.