New customer questions

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Davenlr, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Ive gathered up as much info as I have been able to, so Ill bug you all with the last few questions:

1: If I do a self install (buy a VIP211 and a 1000.4 dish) can I get a no-contract account? Will I still have to pay the $99 install fee even if I install myself?

2: Can I pay the $99 at any time to get free HD for life, or only when I start an account?

3: Can I get the promo $49 (250) package for a year without a contract, or would I have to pay the full $69/mo?

4: Can I opt out of getting locals (I have a nice OTA setup with Tivo already) and would never use locals from Dish. If so, what would the credit be?

Now, I know you will wonder why I want to do it this way, and the main reason is its going to take some creativity to get 61.5 in my tree filled yard. 129 is out of the question. DirecTv would not even try, so I had to do it myself. I dont even want to mess with installers, and would not be able to take off work for it anyway. I plan to keep DirecTv through the NFL season, if I can get a deal from Dish, and make a decision on which one to drop next year.

2. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    1) You can activate your equipment under the Activation Plan Promo (Cash and Carry) with no fees or commitment. You must pay your first months bill pryor to activation. Downside, no promotional freebies.
    2) You can enroll at any time in the HD Free for Life promo. (Min. base programming required)
    3) Without activating under the DHA24 or DHA promo you will not receive any programming discounts.
    4) If locals are available in your DMA, you can not opt out of receiving them

3. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    OK, thanks. Guess it will have to be a Directv OR Dish choice then. Cant afford both without a promo. Need to find someone locally with DishHD and a decent flat screen to check it out on, as it looks like I would have to commit to two years. Thanks.

4. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    You could get all of the current new customer discounts by signing up for the DHA promo and pay the $99 installation fee thus avoiding any term commitment. You could find a local retailer to set this up. Find one that is willing to work within your schedule. Assuming your dish installation is up to snuff, it wouldn't take much time at all for him/her to deliver, install and activate the receivers.

5. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    61.5 won't do you much good, for Eastern Arc you need both 72.7 and 61.5 to replace programming on 129.

6. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    I can see from 72 on west to 123 west ok. I havent scoped out 61.5 yet. MIGHT be visible. I know 129 isnt. I also am sure I could get 61.5 if they have a switch of some sort that would let me get 72.7 and 77 on one dish, and use a second dish for 61.5 in another location, and coax it over to the main dish and tie in.

What is the DHA special? Only special I saw was for $20 off a month for the first year of a two year contract.

7. Mr-Rick

Mr-Rick Legend

Nov 30, 2004
    You might want to consider Flex TV instead of "activation". With flex tv, there is no contract, no credit check, and no SSN required. Also, you will get three months of all four premiums for free with Flex TV. You wont get that under "Activation".

Some dealers can get you a 211k, dish antenna, and account set up for $149 for self installation. Google Flex TV, go to their website and see what they have. It never hurts to send them an email. People deal now a days...

8. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks. Read that website just now. Appears to be the same deal as the main Dish site (other than the free movie channels). It did appear I could get the $20 off for a year without a contract if I read that correctly. I might send them an email. The deal is, I really only want one channel I cant get from DirecTv in HD, and of course, Dish has it only in their most expensive package. That means switching for one channel, or watching it in SD without switching. It would be a no brainer if it was in the America or 120 package, but its not.

9. VDP07

VDP07 Godfather

Feb 22, 2006
    DHA is the "Digital Home Advantage" promo. With it, you get, 12 month programming discount, HBO, Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, HD Platinum and Blockbuster free for 3 months. Hd Platinum Free for 3 requires CCA w/paperless billing. The Flex promo is nice but currently would run $249.00 for a 211 plus your 1st months bill in advance. It also includes installation. As Mr Rick said, you may find a retailer to do it for less than the $249.00.