1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Deal Enables DIRECTV and CenturyLink to Offer Service Bundles in 33 States

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by skyboysea, Aug 19, 2010.

1. skyboysea

skyboysea Icon

Nov 1, 2002
    This is a few days old but I have not seen it posted. Centurylink was selling Dish until last month.

http://news.centurylink.com/index.php?s=43&item=57

2. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    So what happens if someone is already a DirecTV customer and moves to an area served by CenturyLink?

3. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    I'd imagine the same thing that happens if someone is already a DirecTV customer and moves to an area serviced by Verizon, AT&T, or any of the other companies that bundle DirecTV with their offerings.

Nothing, unless you want to bundle the services together.

4. Carl Spock

Carl Spock Superfly

Sep 3, 2004
    CenturyLink, formerly Century Tel, has a big footprint in La Crosse. Beyond being the local telephone provider, they have a major call center/business office downtown, providing service for a wide region. I have a buddy who has been implementing their HDTV distribution in this area. I'll have to call him today and get his perspective. I'll let you know.

Unfortunately, I'm outside their coverage area. I'd love to see if I could get this bundled. Right now I'm paying four separate service providers for cable Internet, land line telephone, cellular telephone and TV. I'm getting (use your imagination here).

5. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Not really new as CenturyLink has been offering their D* "bundle" for several months now, here in Arkansas. Their customer service is terrible, and their advertising borders on deceptive to say the least. This is one utility I look forward to dropping, but I still need them for the Internet.

6. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    I have CenturyLink home phone only, and was unimpressed with their service the only time I've needed them. Phone support was OK, but it took way to long to get a dead phone fixed.

They are a combination of the old Century Tel & Sprint via Embarq. Your experience with any of those names will probably give you an idea what to expect.

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I was just wondering because if the house ever sells, I will likely be relocating to an area that is served by CenturyLink. Their website is a joke and the "build a bundle" feature hasn't worked in months. It doesn't look promising but I need to save money wherever possible, so the bundling thing might be necessary.

8. George_T

George_T Legend

Sep 19, 2002
    Funny, but my experiences w/Century Link have been the opposite; they have been excellent with me.

I have both home phone and internet w/them. Their tech support has helped me on several occasions with internet issues and they have been very patient and professional. MUCH better than Sprint/Embarq when they were here in the Tri-Cities TN area. Hopefully I will be able to bundle my D* account w/the rest and save a few more dollars.

9. pakcyclist

pakcyclist Mentor

Aug 13, 2009
    So, what about those of us who currently have CenturyLink for phone and DTV? Can we combine the two now, and save a few bucks? (Now, if only they would get broadband in my neck of the woods . . . )

10. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    It's my experience that you can, although if calling D* about it, you may want to call into retention to ask about bundles.

From what I've seen, regular CSRs don't know much about what's available for bundles, retentions or the phone service provider is the way to go..

11. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I suppose I would lose my grandfathered free DVR service if I bundled.

Guess I will have to call and find out.

12. Sim-X

Sim-X Godfather

Sep 23, 2009
    We use to have CenturyLink at my work (was embarq at the time)
    The fastest we could get was 1.5 down which is absolutely pitiful. Soon as comcast got put in our building we jumped on and never looked back. DSL sucks compare to cable. Sure they make some faster DSL but I have friends who have Qwest DSL and they modem they give them is it's own router so when you plug in another router it is harder to configure port forwarding. It's just a pain, yes it can be done but Cable Modem is so much easier.

13. lsbrodsky

lsbrodsky Mentor

Dec 3, 2005
    I have Century Link for phone and DSL. I talked with a helpful CSR yesterday and was told that the DTV bundles are only available for NEW DTV customers; it will not process through DTV if you are an existing customer. I was also told that Century Link does not combine the billing, you just, separately, become a DTV customer with DTV billing and customer service. I asked how long I had to be a non-DTV customer if I was currently a customer and was told 6 months. So much for the triple bundle option.
    Larry

14. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Yeah, same situation I encountered with Verizon DSL after being a DirecTV customer for 6+ years. Didn't stop Verizon from including package options with every paper bill. :rolleyes:

This is DirecTVs Achilles' heel. They can only offer a decent, not outstanding, HSI option by partnership. Once you've experienced HSI from cable, going back to DSL seems almost like going back to dial-up.

15. narcolept

narcolept Godfather

Mar 1, 2007
    Try getting someone in retention at DirecTV on the phone, I'm sure they'll be able to provide you with a bundle discount through the partner.

Just let them know you're receiving flyers from the cable company advertising bundle discounts.

16. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    I seem to recall asking about it and being bounced back to Verizon. Oh well, too late now. If and when they offer FIOS, I'll consider it.