New DirectTV Customer - Did I Get Shafted On Receiver They Installed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by zwei, Feb 23, 2019.

1. zwei

zwei New Member

Feb 23, 2019
    I'm new to DirecTV so I'm just trying to catch up on the receiver model history and functionality but the Non-DirecTV contractor they sent to do the install apparently gave me a used, scratched up HR-44 for my receiver.

I only have two TV's, one of them 4k, and I do care about 4k content going forward when enough that I'm interested in is available. Also I plan on upgrading the DVR storage capacity with an external drive.

So did I get shafted by them giving me an HR-44 instead of HR-54, since the 44 seems to be a previous year model?

I even mentioned to the installer while he was here that the TV is 4k and I like 4k content and want to use it for that when they have content I'm intersted in broadcast in 4k. And he told me...this one will do everything you need for 4k. Sounds like that wasn't honest based on the quick research I've done so far, stating an HR-54 or HS-17 or something is needed for 4k content. Is that correct?

But I guess the other obvious concern is being signed up for a new account and thus 2 year contract with an older model receiver when it looks like a lot of people on the forum have been trying their best to get DirecTV to upgrade their older units.

Any suggestions and should I call the installer back about this issue?

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Only the Hr54 & Hr17 -Will give you 4K -with a Client attached to a 4k Tv. -Did you request 4K when you order your service--If not -that's why you got a Hr44 --If you did you need to call back and Question why you ordered 4K Service and NONE was installed

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. zwei

zwei New Member

Feb 23, 2019
    No, I didn't specifically order 4k service because I didn't see anything they currently offer that I like and it's additional fee of $7/month or something for that correct? But I am interested in future-proofing as I imagine they will eventually have more and more 4k content as they transition toward it.

I didn't talk to anyone while ordering because I did it online. So the only guy I spoke to during the order and installation process was the installer and I pointed out that I have a 4k TV and want that to be compatible when they have enough content I like and he said everything he was installing would allow that.

So, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that unless I signup for their current paid(? - my understanding) 4k content addon, then other than that it's normal for them to install an older previous revision Genie receivers for new customers even if they have a 4k TV and are interested in that going forward when content they would enjoy is available? If that's the case, it just seems a bit confusing to me given so many people seem to be interested in and regularly taking advantage of having their receivers updated whenever their 2 year contract date rolls around anyways. Seems counterintuitive to install older model equipment even if as far as things currently sit they perform similary apart from the 4k. How can we know for sure that a feature other than 4k won't be added to a software release in the future that requires the HR-54 or higher you know?

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I don't believe there is an additional fee for 4K.

What was the other unit they gave you? C61K?

If so, and you want 4K on one TV, you just need to get the HR44 swapped with an HR54. Now would be the time to do that if you can sweet talk them into it. If you decide next year you want 4K, then your upgrade will cost you a 2-year contract.

5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There is no charge for any 4K content except pay per view

6. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Since you only have two TV's I'd call them up (AT&T) and tell them you were expecting the HS-17 and two clients because you wanted 4K but the installer gave you an HR-44 and whatever else he gave you. Just explain you are not satisfied with no 4K. It won't cost you any more per month than what you are paying now.

compnurd likes this.
  7. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    You may need a different LNB on the dish to get 4K if he didn't already install the right LNB. Call them now while you are in the new period and say they didn't install the right equipment for 4K. It should be no additional installation charge.

8. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    That's your Answer! -You DID NOT Tell them you had a 4K tv and/or would like to receive 4K Service as a "NEW" Customer --SO you did NOT -get shafted.
    Had you Called and Spoke with Someone -Perhaps They would have asked you. Enjoy your New service.

MysteryMan and compnurd like this.
  9. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    You made a mistake but if you act now as the others suggested you can fix the problem without your contract being extended. Every week you wait is another reset in the length of your two year contract.

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    What model is the other box that was installed? None of the Genies provide 4K directly to any TV. You will need to connect a C61K to your 4K TV and the Genie to your other TV if you want 4K.

11. grittree

grittree Member

Jul 15, 2016
    Texas
    When I signed up with DTV a while back, I researched here and on AVS. It was clear that if I were to need 4K, I needed the HR54 genie. So, I specified that when signing up. The installer had one on his truck, so no problem.

Two+ years later I got a 4K set. Now it was really didn't matter, since there is almost no 4K on DTV that I would watch, and I see lots of 4K from all the other sources.

So, my suggestion is to not worry.

12. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    I WANT MORE likes this.
  13. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    That is not an issue now and in foreseeable future - all (three!) UHD channels are perfectly watchable with all old KaKu LNBF :p

I WANT MORE likes this.
  14. Gregory Keith Quintana

Gregory Keith Quintana New Member

Apr 26, 2019
    What LNB should I be using for 4K? How do I find out what LNB I have?

Thanks
    Greg

15. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    It's best to upgrade to a Reverse Band LNB to future proof your system. To see what LNB you have now using your DIRECTV remote select MENU, scroll down to Info & Test and select. Then select Genie Info. Scroll down to Satellite Info. There you will see what LNB you currently have.

16. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I beg to differ. A 4K movie on DirectTV costs $6 - $8 to RENT and $17 to $21 to BUY. Let us also not forget that DirecTV 4K is, what 15Mbps to 30Mbps? Not really 4K at all.

Oooorrrr….. I can go buy a 4K player and enjoy a 4K movie in ACTUAL 4K (108Mbps) in DolbyVision for $5 each NIB (assuming you don't need to be the first on your block to own the disc). As a matter of fact, you can do it for even less then that as 4K discs come with BluRay discs and digital copies, so you sell those off and re-coup the majority of the cost of the disc.

17. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I don't check the prices of 4K pay per view movies a lot on DirecTV but when I have...I have not seen any for $6 - $8. Everything I've ever checked that was 4K was around $11 - $12. Highway robbery there.

18. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    Just to clarify, I was referring to the sports events and other stuff upcoming on 4K, not movie rentals/purchases. I only bought one 4K movie on DirecTV, which was a promotion over a year ago (Apollo 13 for around $15).

I use iTunes and AppleTV 4K, and pick the 4K movies we want that have digital downloads. I also have a Phillips upscaling 4K DVD player that incorporates Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision for those that apply for those discs. The 4K rentals on DirecTV will never be purchased in our household, but we’ve enjoyed the other free 4K programming on DirecTV. (Thumbs up).

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Since the two months of posting... did you call CSR and managed to get HR54 or HS17 ?