1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DirecTV install - call company direct or local installer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by licensed2bill, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. licensed2bill

licensed2bill Cool Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Hi all:

Sorry for the newbie question but I have decided to get Directv after Dish Network jerked me around with equipment costs, setup costs, etc. My question is should I just arrange setup directly through Directv or should I use a local authorized retailer. I live in Middletown, Delaware and there are a number of Directv resellers here. My house is brand new and prewired with RG6. I'm looking for a 3-room setup with 1 HDTV and 2 standards with Tivo.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

2. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    First more than likely you want get tivo but Directvs own branded DVR.

Second go with a local reseller you will probably get a better deal along with a quicker install date.

Just my 2 cents worth.

3. narnia777

narnia777 Legend

Mar 28, 2003
    Since Directv is now lease only from what I have been reading Dish Network is cheaper for existing customers for equipment. Though new customers may get a good deal with Directv.

I'm glad I got my 3 Tivo units cheap/free when I did before the lease was put into place.

Jim

4. boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Yes Directv is lease only now, but with a local dealer you can meet the person face to face and decide if you have confidence in them to do your install. Because it is a lease your basic install and equipment prices are fixed by Directv but custom install work is still allowed and can be charged for.

5. Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    I signed up online,for the Free portable DVD player.

6. nolimits007

nolimits007 New Member

Mar 29, 2006
    I called into the main company and ordered directly. I calculated my costs and previewed the packages and equipment online before calling. The number I dialed was 888-515-1212.

After speaking with the CSR he noted I dialed in on the special internet order phone line and that I was elgible for all special promotions for online orders. Here is a brief rundown of what I got:

- Total Choice, $29.99 first 3 months
    - 3 months of free HBO, Cinemax, Starz & Showtime
    - 1 free DVR unit (no upfront cost) and 1 free standard unit
    - $150 cash back offer ($10/mo credit for 15 months)
    - Free portable DVD player

I understand you can get additional equipment for free as well if you have more than a 2 room system like me. I specifically inquired about a 2nd DVR unit. The CSR advised me that after I get the system installed I could call back customer service and request a 2nd unit. The upfront cost would be $99 w/ a $100 mail-in rebate, so 6-8 weeks later when they mailed my cash back I would actually make a buck on the deal.

There is a 2 year agreement (non-negotiable) if you do "advanced" receivers such as DVR, HD, etc. For standard receivers I believe there is only a 1 year agreement. I was concerned over this because I tried Dish Network earlier this year and it was a nightmare and I fought tooth & nail to get out of my contract. The DirecTV CSR assured me I had 7 days to try the system and could cancel within that time period with no penalty if I was dissatisfied with the system.

Overall, I was very pleased with my order experience. Oh yeah, in regards to installation....I called on Sunday afternoon around 3pm. I could have got installed as early as this Tuesday, but I elected today (Wed) because of my own schedule. The installer is due within the hour. Provided the install and picture quality is as great and hassle free as the ordering, I will be very pleased and recommend the same to others.

7. tsbrady1

tsbrady1 Legend

Jan 6, 2006
    I originally ordered my H20 & AT9 through D* direct, after 3 missed appointments by their contracted installer I cancelled and bought off one of the popular internet retailers, it took them 2 tries and 1 no show to get it working so I think it is 6 of one or half dozen of the other, it is 50/50 whether it will be a smooth install, no matter which route you take.

8. icando

icando New Member

Apr 1, 2006
    After dealing with directv and direcway installers from the direct company, I would much rather have paid a little more with a local installer that I trusted with a good reputation. It was frustrating when I added my local channels directly through directv. He didn't show, then didn't get finished and had to come back another day. Then in the process he realized I needed all new receivers and he just replaced them and took my old ones which I had purchased myself. I didn't have time to think and now I wish I would have done it with someone local that was more accessable to deal with.
    Just my opinion.
    If I know more then the installer it frustrates me...and I don't know that much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.