New Dish customer... Issues on 1st day!! Letter to CEO

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by Wrecker06, May 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wrecker06

Wrecker06 AllStar

May 23, 2006
    I switched to Dish from Comcast and DirecTv (I was a charter member) so I could
    save some $$. (I had Comcast only for HD Locals since D'tv doesn't have their new
    HD DVR out yet).

After finally getting installed and the first day issues with the receivers, I am
    seriously thinking about switching back. In a last ditch effort to get some remedies
    or resolution, I sent the following letter to the CEO and DishQuality this morning.
    Since I'm clearly not the only person experiencing some of these issues, I'll post
    the responses if they have any good suggestions or remedies.

I have alot of respect for Dish for getting their MPEG4 DVR to market first, but
    a lot of that respect is lost for leaving it to the early adopters to work out the
    bugs. :nono2:

---------

to: CEO@echostar.com
    cc: dishquality@echostar.com

Greetings,

I'm a new customer. My service was installed yesterday. I am already
    experiencing severe issues with one of my receivers and very annoying
    issues with the 2nd one.

I called Tech Support a few times and they just keep telling me to restart my
    receivers to fix the problems. I restarted the two of them a total of 9 times
    the first day. The DVR restarted twice on it's own!!!

Clearly having to restart these receivers several times a day is not a good option,
    please advise if you have any other remedies for the issues below. If there are not
    any fixes, or remedies, please advise as I will most likely go back to DirecTV &
    Comcast. Between my children, my wife and myself, I spend about $250.00 -
    $300.00 a month on my TV Service for programming and pay per view movies/
    events and need reliable service.

My installation included: Dish 1000 dish, VIP 622 and VIP 211

Issues:

--------------------------------

The VIP622 issues: (connected via HDMI)

Signal Strength - 119 signal strength - 90, 129 signal strength - 57, 110 signal strength - 74

- Freezes up while recording a program.
    - Can't watch a program that is recording, you have to wait until the show is over
    and then restart the unit to watch the recorded program. If you try to watch it
    while it is recording, the picture goes black and you can hear the audio only.
    Program still records but you have to restart the machine to watch it.
    - rebooted twice on it's own.
    - I also rebooted it a few times to try and fix the Audio sync issues w/ ABC HD
    - ABC HD audio is out of sync (think old kung fu movie where the mouths move and
    the words come a second later)

The VIP211 issues: (connected via HDMI)

Signal Strength - 119 signal strength - 115, 129 signal strength - 59, 110 signal strength - 90

-Terrible picture quality on the HD Channels. Ghosting on moving images. (Eg: you
    know how you can turn on comet tails on your mouse on your computer?? that is
    like what happens on some of the HD channels. If someone walks, you can see a
    similar effect on the HD channels.

- ABC Audio is also out of sync on this receiver.

I am not trying to be rude or anything, but I payed $400.00 to "lease" equipment
    and it's not living up to how great it is supposed to be according to your website and
    your Sales Reps.

I look forward to getting these issues resolved.

2. bryan92

bryan92 Legend

Oct 30, 2003
    With a letter like that, you'll get some good results. What they will be, I dont know. Good luck. Knock on wood- no problems yet with 622 after a week.

3. Nightmare

Nightmare Legend

Nov 2, 2002
    That signal strength on 129 seems low. If you can't hit all 2 birds with the 1000, then I would have them install a 500 for the 129.

I have no idea if that will fix the other problems.

Mine are 90, 90, 63 and I am thinking that the 129 is also a little low.

Can anyone tell us if the low signal on the 129 could cause lockups? I'm not sure what the "minimum" signal strength is supposed to be.

4. Wrecker06

Wrecker06 AllStar

May 23, 2006
    The installer (and his supervisor who accompanied him) said that anything over 55 on the 129 in the Bay Area is good.

5. dougmcbride

dougmcbride AllStar

Apr 17, 2005
    I've seen one case with low signal strength on 129 where the channel is just black. No "acquiring satellite" message or the like - just black.

Doug

6. dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    55 may be a "good" signal for any area, but's it's terrible for use with the Dish system. At that level you'll experience drop outs, blank screens, and pixelization. I finally gave up on the dish I had pointed to 129(readings in the 50's) and reaimed to 61.5 where signal's are in the 80's(even here in oregon). Dish has a serious problem with the 129 sat. Hopefully they'll replace that sat. with another soon.

7. Steve H

Steve H Icon

May 15, 2006
    When/if you call Dish tech support again ask for advance support of the 622. Yesterday Dish started having their "regular" customer service group take call on the 622. Most CS reps. DO NOT know very much about the 622 and the 129 problems.

8. socceteer

socceteer Icon

Apr 22, 2005
    I live on the SF area. I requested to have my 61.5 replaced with the Dish 1000 so I can have less dishes on my roof. If I knew that the 129 signal strength was so low I would have kept the 61.5 sat dish.

I still do not get why the signal is so low. Some one mentioned that the sat was over the pacific if that is the case, should't we have a very strong signal..?

Is this the case..?

9. mdgolf

mdgolf Legend

Apr 14, 2006
    Great letter. Sorry for the nasty first impression.

I've been waiting to upgrade from my PVR 721, of which I was an early adopter, and have had a 99% positive experience with. The SF Bay Area issues may force me to wait a bit longer as I'm likely to have to dole out some $$$ on dishes, switches, and installation to make the transition.

Bay Area posters...where in the bay area are you? I'm in Pleasanton...just trying to figure out where the worst of the signal issues are.

10. sjm992

sjm992 AllStar

Jan 14, 2004
    I'm in Newark and so far I've found it impossible to pick up 129 on the Dish 1000 (self install!) Actually it says that it locks onto 110 instead - can't believe that.

11. bmichura

bmichura New Member

Apr 28, 2006
    I can believe it. I have a tree in the way of 129 and VP622 "thinks" it is 110 instead lke you. My installer tried the number from dish 1000 manual and could not get a lock ON anything.

Does your VP622 or anybodies have DISH 1000 in the menu with Dish 300, 500 and SuperDISH? Mine does not!

12. dave1234

dave1234 Icon

Oct 9, 2005
    As much as I'd like to call this a California problem it's not. :) :)

Signal strengths in Oregon and Washington are just as poor. In fact California is physically closer to the Sat. than Oregon so you've got even better signal (but still bad) strength. The problem is with the satellite.

13. Wrecker06

Wrecker06 AllStar

May 23, 2006
    I received a call from the Engineering team. She walked me through setting up a log download to Dish so they can view them and see if anything is out of whack. Of course when the receiver went to download it crashed. She's sending me a new one.

14. Wrecker06

Wrecker06 AllStar

May 23, 2006

Pleasant Hill. No issues w/ line of site, I'm on top of the hill.
    My 622 locks onto the 129 ok. Signal strength goes from 48-60. Nothing higher. I may have them install a second dish to see if they can get a higher signal.

15. sjm992

sjm992 AllStar

Jan 14, 2004
    I don't have a tree in the way - clear line of sight but it still thinks 129 is 110.

The elevation number quoted by dish for my location (94560) is 45deg. There are no satellites at that location. I have to aim at 55deg to get the 110/119 sats. I had to do the same with the Dish 500 that preceded the 1000.

The VP622 does not show Dish 1000 in the menu, even after the latest software download.

16. jmbrooks

jmbrooks Legend

Jan 11, 2004
    I also live in Oregon and am considering getting the 622. I currently have a Dish 500 with DP Quad LNB. I understand I would be better off getting a second dish for the 129 sat, (a Dish 500 or 300??) rather than the Dish 1000. Can I still get the DP Plus LNB with the 129 input for my Dish 500 and the 129 LNB for the second dish? I'd rather not have to have external switches.

Thanks

17. HD_Wayne

HD_Wayne Legend

May 23, 2006
    When I installed my dish 1000 I used the aiming data supplied with the manual included with the dish. Having a Birdog meter has helped alot as I aimed it 1st to 119 then switched to the 129 bird and fine tuned the dish. The adjustment was very critical and any misaiming resulted in a signal drop. I have decided to get a Winegard 30" dish for 129 to improve the reception. Perhaps I will learn more information regarding 129 at team summit coming up in two weeks.

Wayne

18. UTFAN

UTFAN Legend

Nov 11, 2005
    HOLY MOLY!

19. Wrecker06

Wrecker06 AllStar

May 23, 2006
    I know! I have a wife and 5 kids who wanted to tivo alot of stuff and they also order alot of pay per view, on demand, etc. My kids are very active w/ sports, etc. and it is the only way they could watch their favorites anytime. With 2 dvr's it was hard to tivo everyone's shows so that's why we got Comcast on demand in addition to DirecTv.

20. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'd be putting a level on the mast to make sure that it is plumb. One or two degrees higher isn't uncommon, but ten is well outside the pylons. If your mast is tilted, everything will be screwed up as the skew will be wrong.

What, by model number, is your switch and LNB setup?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.