New Dish Reflector

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Visman, May 24, 2017.

1. Visman

Visman Legend

Feb 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I was at Sam's listening to the Directv salesman sales pitch. He said, "that the new reflector part of the dish, with the white writing, is better then the old once". With the new reflector their no more rain fade. I was wondering is the salesman correct or is this just B.S.

2. richall01

richall01 Godfather

Sep 30, 2007
    South Georgia
    BS, rain fade is when the signal is block by high thick clouds. If you have a strong signal then rain fade is minimal.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    BS
    Same dish, different writing on it.

DishCSR likes this.
  4. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    It's super B.S....

Ought to be a law against someone propagating such extreme nonsense...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

tecnicoloco likes this.
  5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    funny pitch, seem to me it's working on innocent people if he made it already

6. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    ..and remember the guy at Sams does not work for DirecTV, he's a reseller and I would not believe anything he told me.

DishCSR likes this.
  7. Mgibsoj

Mgibsoj New Member

Mar 7, 2015
    Palm Bay, FL
    With the older sats, there were people that bought a larger dish (improved signal strength) to reduce rain fade. Dish reflectivity improvements would serve the same purpose. There was a patent back in 2013 (WO 2013108225 A1) to improve the reflectivity that would cover the higher frequencies. So, while it is most likely just sales talk, there is the possibility that improving the reflectivity of the dish without incurring increased costs would benefit them by reducing customer complaints and an improved customer experience in rainy areas. Without knowing how much improvement, or the effective increase in reception, it is all just hype. Intense thunderstorms would probably still result in loss of signal unless the improvement is really huge, which is unlikely.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    well, if you did read the patent then you should know it's not applicable to DTV steel reflectors

9. Visman

Visman Legend

Feb 16, 2008
    Houston, TX
    That is what I thought.

10. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    You hit it on the head with this statement, key word HUGE. How to eliminate rain fade :) :)

[​IMG]

tecnicoloco and icr2002 like this.
  11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Even those dishes suffer rain fade - that's why Directv has so-called 'diversity' sites for all its uplink locations, so that if they are under some extremely heavy rain the uplinks won't be interrupted.

Ka band can have 100 db or more of attenuation during the heaviest downpours. 100 db of attenuation is around 10 billion times weaker than the original signal, while if you double the dish diameter you only get a 6 db increase or 4x more powerful signal. That's what you're up against.

For Directv's HD, you have about 10-12 db of margin in most areas of the US with a properly aimed dish. Lose more signal than that, and your screen goes black.

12. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Even wondering if this is true is amazing!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. tylorert

tylorert Active Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Grayslake
    "See, the color difference of the reflector increases the signal by +5 db, and the writing has a special metal in it that helps amplify the the signal integeraty. And also the 0.001 MM offset helps too with this revoulutanry design"
    Hmmmm, I could be a sails man ;)

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Those are the folks buying bridges next to nothing.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk