New Dish?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by DirectMan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I had a service call recently to upgrade my system to 4K. I asked the installer to put in a new dish as my existing one was 10 years old and I figured why not get a new shiny dish. The installer recommended against it as he said the new dish is slightly smaller as it only has to view three satellites without the 110 and 119 and keeping the old dish ensures high signal strength. I hadn't read anything on the board about a new dish but since it was a marginal request at best I agreed to leave the existing dish in place with a new 22 channel LNB added. Was he correct - is the new dish smaller - or was he just trying to reduce his workload?

Incidently after the installation of the new LNB I have noticed a definite increase in signal strength when I do a satellite signal test. Does the new LNB have an enhanced sensitivity to increase signal strength?

2. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Your dish was probably out of alignment a bit. They'll always check/fix that when they swap LNBs, that's why you are seeing the improvement.

Don't know anything about a new dish, that would be news to everyone here. No reason to put in a new dish if the old one isn't damaged. It might look better for a year but then it'll be faded. Directv isn't going to give people a free dish every couple years just because the paint is fading.

3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No, it's likely the later:

The tech. was probably just lazy as the newer Slimline dishes are the same size.

Though I noticed the reflectors are thinner nowadays, and thus have less weight requiring only two bolts to hold the reflector to the backplate assembly now instead of four.

So if you wish, you should call DIRECTV back and request a new dish and ("politely") tell them in so many words, what the tech. said is baloney.

As for the higher signal strengths, that is somewhat surprising. As many have complained of slightly lower signal levels from the new Reverse Band capable LNBs.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

4. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Why is it surprising? If his dish hadn't been in aligned in years it was probably a little off.

Do people see the slightly lower levels on just Ka lo, or both lo & hi?

5. William9182

William9182 New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    More like we don't get paid to replace dishes on upgrades granite the text should have been up front about thatif the dish passes signal quality testing it staysif you want a new dish by one offline put it together and we will come adjust it for you as the satellite dishes are the customers property and not leased equipment.

6. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    that would be accepted as a real fact if you had pictures from SS screens before and after LNBF swap...

7. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    In retrospect the installer adjusted one of the support legs that may have tweeked the signal strength ever so slightly.

8. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    You can call as someone above suggest and they will look at your order and see a new dish wasn't part of it. They will then either advise you about it not being on the order or they will set you up with a service call. The tech will come out and see that you didn't have a dish on your order and bill you $99 for an unnecessary service call.

9. tnash05

tnash05 New Member

Jan 25, 2019
    There is no noticable size difference between slimline dishes 8 years ago and the ones we are using today. The back assembly unit that attaches the ODU to the pole/mast has been reduced and weighs a lot less than the older ones...like another poster mentioned the reflector has been reduced from being attached with 4 bolts to 2 bolts, and the reflector material is slightly lighter in weight than in years previous.
    The fact of the matter is, if I changed a dish out at every house, my installation times would increase, directly impacting the number of customers I could service...backlogging more service work in the area, and increasing hardware consumption in the field (more money to inventory/means hire bills). All technicians run a EIV Installation Signal integrity test before leaving your home (which the bar is set pretty high for signal coming into your receiver) the IRD must pass before they can close out your work order. If anything is not on Par with DTV parameters the lnb/dish will be adjusted replaced accordingly. If the EIV test is passing then replacement of such part is unwarranted...hence deemed unnecessary from a field services viewpoint.

Robert Auger likes this.
  10. slice1900

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Its possible he had an AT-9 dish before, those were slightly larger (by 21 in^2 IIRC) than the Slimline.

11. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    I think I have a Slimline. It is 10 years old, A neighbor of mine has a 14 year old dish that is rusted. I didn't want to have to call D* in a few years just to get a new dish. I was going to give the installer some money to install the new dish.