new DTV customer: whole room DVR + on demand

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by kmfdm515, Oct 15, 2010.

1. kmfdm515

kmfdm515 Cool Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Hello,

New DTV customer so bear with me. I've got my HD DVR set up for whole-room DVR with 2 other receivers. The technician informed me that i wouldn't be able to use both that feature and the on-demand service, as plugging ethernet into the back of the box breaks the whole-room DVR service. (which i did confirm)

DTV has a workaround - they have a smaller box that splits the coax and has the ethernet plug directly into itself. this is supposed to allow the use of whole-room DVR and on-demand through your internet at the same time. however, when this was set up, the whole-room DVR service was still unavailable.

Is this a common issue? I do have my ethernet coming from a router and going through a switch, but i wouldn't think that would be the cause.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks...

2. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    First of all, it's not a work around, that's how things are supposed to be connected. For all the 24 series of receivers when you connect an ethernet cable to them it disables the internal DECA network connection (which uses the coax as the physical transport). So to bridge the coax network to your ethernet network DirecTV installs an external DECA adapter to interconnect those two networks.

Now as to why it's not working have you checked the setup menus on your receivers to see if it shows the whole home service as being enable? If under the setup menu you don't see whole home then you'll need to call DirecTV and have them activate it. If it's listed there then I'd recommend trying a reboot of all the receivers to see if that will wake it up as the next step.

3. kmfdm515

kmfdm515 Cool Member

Feb 12, 2009
    thanks. i hooked it back up that way, and it's working now. not sure what the issue was before.

no on-demand yet but i'm sure that's because it needs the 24 hr period to collect - the network test said it was all set.

i appreciate the info - thanks again.

4. JosephB

JosephB Icon

Nov 14, 2005
    Birmingham, AL
    It shouldn't take 24 hours for on demand to start working. Did your DVR get an IP address? What information is listed when you run a system test under networking info?

5. kmfdm515

kmfdm515 Cool Member

Feb 12, 2009
    it's working now. thanks.

everything's good except the fact that there doesn't appear to be a one-touch button for "Live TV" that takes you to the end of the buffer.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Nope, the best you can do is start a fast forward and then hit the 30 second slip/skip button to get you to the end quicker since it will then skip to the next tick mark, usually 15 min.

7. kmfdm515

kmfdm515 Cool Member

Feb 12, 2009
    the whole-room DVR is only working on the second HD receiver, not the SD one. is that expected?

8. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yup.

9. kmfdm515

kmfdm515 Cool Member

Feb 12, 2009
    also noticing i can't pause/rewind tv viewed on the receivers (which makes sense). if one of the second receivers is upgraded to a DVR allowing me to pause/rewind live tv...can it still be used in a whole-house setup to view recorded shows from the main DVR?

10. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Yes. HD-DVR to HD-DVR works well.

11. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If you want to pause shows on a receiver, hit the record button, and pick a DVR from the list (if you have more than one). Let it start recording for about 30 seconds, and then hit LIST on the receiver and choose the show you just started recording. It will now let you pause and rewind.

12. kmfdm515

kmfdm515 Cool Member

Feb 12, 2009
    thanks for the info.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Even quicker would be to just press and hold the Skip Ahead button. That jumps to the end of the buffer/recording. Pressing and holding the Skip Back button jumps to the beginning of the buffer/recording. :)

- Merg

14. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    If all you want to do is to go live without skipping to the end of the recording, just press the Exit button.

15. EW800

EW800 AllStar

Oct 1, 2010
    In regard to the WholeHome setup, can anyone tell be if there is any limit as to how many HD DVR's an be used. If I currenty have two HD DVR's and two HD receivers, if I were to swap out one of the receivers for a DVR (making a total of three HD DVR's) would this work?

Thanks!

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    With a SWiM16 you can have up to 16 tuners, thats the max without getting 'fancy'. What you have now is 6 tuners, and wanting to go to 7 tuners. If you have Whole Home now you're OK, no need to change anything since the SWiMLNB can handle 8 tuners max.