1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New DTV subscriber: Want MVR and VOD at the same time

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by HLyons, Aug 17, 2010.

1. HLyons

HLyons New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Currently I have a HR24 and the newest HD non-DVR box upstairs and the installer explained that it had DECA built in but you couldn't use both features at the same time with out the use of a DECA (DB?). Based on some of the research I did I purchased a DECA1MR0-01 (I could've paid 150 to have DTV do it but I'm a DYI'er).

So I purchased the DECA1MR and the power supply to go with and I tried hooking everything up to my Timecapsule. When I do a test on the HR24 it says that its not connected. It has a self assign IP so I know its not seeing the network. On the DECA unit I see the green light for power but the CLink light is blinking orange. No lights on the NTWRK light. I think there is somethign screwy going on with the DECA unit I purchased. When I look on the time capsule at the DHCP client list I don't see the DECA's MAC address.....

Leading me to believe that either DECA unit is bad (I bought it from a EBAY store that had 100% rating) or I missed something in the setup. I can't imagine it was that. I work on servers and networks all day so this shouldn't be to difficult. I've never seen this type of setup before so I assume that NTWRK light should be green if it is truely on the network right?

I'm a little frustrated at this point I completely could've missed something. Do I need ot order another part?

2. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    So, you ran a coax off the splitter to the DECA box, connected it to the power supply, and to your router? There's no ethernet to the DVR & H24, right? Did you power everything down, including your SWM power inserter, then repower everything?

3. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
  4. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
  5. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    Haha. No offense taken. Seemed like the appropriate place to post it in this case :)

6. armchair

armchair Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2009
    If you are connected properly and have followed all the advice above and it's still not connecting... did you at any time connect an ETHERNET cable to the HR24?

If yes, then you'll need to disconnect the ETHERNET from the HR24 & run satellite setup all the way through and restart the DVR to get the internal DECA re-enabled. Same goes for any 24 series; internal DECA gets disabled when an ETHERNET cable is plugged-in.

7. HLyons

HLyons New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Sorry its been a while since I replied. Thank you for all the suggestions. I guess i never realized that a SWIM setup. I will look for it (I wasn't there when the installer came).

To answer some of the questions above. No I don't have a ethernet plugged into the back of the HR24. I have reset network connections a few times. I will try following the video's instructions. One thing I did do (I wasn't sure if it was right) was plug the DECA1MR into the second co-ax port on the back of the reciever. I'll follow the video and report back tonight. Thank you all.

8. HLyons

HLyons New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Ok after watching that video I guess my 1st question would be even if I don't have it plugged into the splitter shouldn't it at least go green to signify its connected to the network or will it only blink orange until it sees the DVR's through the splitter?

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    If the DECA isn't connected to another DECA, then the LEDs are basically useless. Power may light up, but these are all based on the coax side, so it needs to see and "talk to" another DECA.
    It kind of sounds like you haven't got your 24s back on the coax network.
    As posted above, you need to re-run the SAT setup for it to: 1) realized it's on a SWiM system, 2) then activate the DECA, 3) reboot the receiver for these changes to take affect.
    Once you've done this, then connecting the DECA to your router/home network should have the cLink change to green, once it's connected to the 24s. This LED shows the RF networking status, and next you should see the network LED turn green. The network LED doesn't seen to be related to whether you have ethernet connected or not, but instead be a sign of the RF network being ready to feed the ethernet.

10. HLyons

HLyons New Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Cool thanks for the clarification. I think the CO-Ax network is okay. My whole home MRV is still intact between both HD Boxes. I'll reset again just to be on the safe side.