New Encore Channels in HD

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by mwdxer, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Apr 1, 2020 #1 of 16
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Great to see several of the Encore channels are now in HD, including Encore West.

sparky27 and Dishdude714 like this.
  2. Apr 4, 2020 #2 of 16
    sparky27

sparky27 Member

Jun 25, 2019
    That is good news. I got an email today saying encore suspense was now HD(Dish Movie Pack).

Which other encore channels are now HD? I actually think starz encore shows lots of good movies. I cancelled the encore package before because there wasn’t any hd.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  3. Apr 4, 2020 #3 of 16
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    ENCOR (340 HD) Starz Encore
    ENCRW (341 HD) Encore West
    EWSTN (342 HD) Encore Western
    EACTN (343 SD) Encore Action
    ESUSP (344 HD) Encore Suspense
    EBLCK (345 SD) Encore Black
    ECLAS (346 SD) Encore Classic
    EFAM (347 SD) Encore Family
    ENESP (348 HD) Encore Espanol

STARZ (350 HD) Starz
    STRZW (351 HD) Starz West
    SEDGE (352 HD) Starz Edge
    SCINE (353 SD) Starz Cinema
    STZC (354 HD) Starz Comedy
    SBLCK (355 SD) Starz Black
    SK&FM (356 HD) Starz Kids & Family

The green ones were added in HD this week.

Dishdude714 and sparky27 like this.
  4. Apr 4, 2020 #4 of 16
    sparky27

sparky27 Member

Jun 25, 2019
    James long thank you for posting that list.
    Still room for improvement, but way better! Just the Encore Suspense in HD is nice. Now my Dish Movie pack lineup is even better!
    It also makes the regular Starz Encore pack way better too. in my opinion it was ridiculous to not have one hd channel, but now you get several and a couple of them are solid movie channels.

I love my movie channels so this is big for me lol.

Dishdude714 likes this.
  5. Apr 4, 2020 #5 of 16
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Great and hope more will come.

6. Apr 5, 2020 #6 of 16
    zippyfrog

zippyfrog Mentor

Jul 14, 2010
    These ones that are still SD - are they available in HD on any provider? Is there an HD feed available that Dish could pick up? Or are they only produced in SD, thus they are still in SD on Dish?

7. Apr 5, 2020 #7 of 16
    James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DIRECTV has Starz Black and Starz Cinema in HD. I believe the four Encore channels are SD only.

8. Apr 5, 2020 #8 of 16
    dishrich

dishrich Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2002
    ALL Encore/Starz/Plex channels have been broadcast in HD for at least the past 2+ years. Cox cable is the only (large) provider that currently carries every single premium channel in HD - from ALL the premium channels - while some others carry most of the channels in HD, but still have a couple of "stragglers" that have not been upgraded. (eg: FiOS carries every Encore/Starz/Plex channel in HD EXCEPT Movieplex, which they have never carried at all...while U-verse has most in HD, EXCEPT for Indieplex, Starz Cinema & Encore Westerns, Family & Espanol, which they continue to carry in SD only)

This chart is kept updated VERY well & shows the differences:
    Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable/DBS/Fiber/IPTV - Updated 3/16/2020 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  9. Apr 5, 2020 #9 of 16
    mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    I doubt Dish can handle everything they carry in SD going to HD. Some services like Disney wants more money for their HD feed, so Dish does not carry some of it in HD. Many services that stream I can get with my sub with Dish, I get the stream in HD. That may be the future. The bandwidth is so much greater in HD, that the carriers like Dish only have the most important ones, at least in their eyes.
    One other thing, if the SD feeds were in a a perfect 480i like an OTA 480i, it would not be so bad. The carriers cram so many SD feeds onto one transponder the pq degrades.

10. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...

I agree with Your last 2 sentences. I can stream movies in 480i and the picture is quite good.

However, doesn't Dish remain king of the bandwidth?

11. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    On the SD side DISH gives more bandwidth to each channel than DIRECTV. But DIRECTV allocates more space to each HD channels. DIRECTV has more bandwidth to work with - most of it is ka band which is more subject to weather issues. DISH is all Ku DBS with very few channels on Ku FSS (slightly different band). The "two arc" design of DISH means all the national channels are uplinked twice ... once to each arc. There are also SD and HD feeds for the same channels, mostly on Western Arc.

Not "king of the bandwidth" ... but they have enough to add more channels in HD.

12. satcrazy

satcrazy Icon

Mar 15, 2011
    Great...
    well, my bad.

I thought when Dish purchased bandwidth [FCC] when OTA went digital, It was a BIG chunk. Dish must have sold some off then.
    I thought the government wanted dish to do something with that bandwidth, [ not long ago] which was the reason Dish was thinking "merger"

13. James Long

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    DISH bought OTA bandwidth but that will be used for 5G data, not satellite TV.
    (I'm sure some of that bandwidth will be used to deliver entertainment channels, such as Sling TV delivers.)

14. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    So Direct now is using the Ka Band. We have a lot of rain on the Oregon Coast. No wonder some of my friends that have Direct complain about loss.

15. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Just to be clear, they have been using that band since 2007 when they started broadcasting more than just five channels in Hi Definition. All mpeg Hi Definition stations have been coming from there since they where launched.

16. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    Those rain drops are bigger than the wave length. Those D Birds must have a heck of a lot of power!!!