1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New equipment from Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by tadam, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:36 AM.

1. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    I just had a conversation yesterday with a rep in the Customer Loyalty group at Directv. She was able to drop my bill over $30/month, but she also mentioned Directv just came out with a new Genie and 4K client. She said the new Genie was capable of recording 400 hours of programming and also had the ability to record 8 programs at the same time. The last thing she told me was that the new equipment was available without having to have a contract extension.

Anyone else aware of this?

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    She's probably talking about the HS17 Genie Sever. It's hardly new anymore, but perhaps was new to her. It has some limitations, however, so depending on what DVR/Receiver models you currently, it might not be much of an "upgrade". What do you currently have?

abnjoe82 likes this.
  3. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    HR54 with a C61 4K client. She also said the 4K box produced a "better" picture.

4. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The HR54 with a 4K client and the HS17 with a 4K client will produce exactly the same quality picture. You aleady have a C61K 4K client. If you only have one or two televisions, then what you currently have is fine, there is really no argument to move to an HS17.

One consideration: I'm guessing you have two TVs. One is probably 4K (which is why you have the C61K client). The other is probably not, and is where the HR54 is located. The HR54 cannot feed a 4K television directly, it must go through a C61K client. If you have, or want to get, another 4K television, then the HS17 would be your preferred choice, as it can feed 4K to two C61K clients at the same time, while the HR54 can only feed one at any given time.

The HS17 can also support more regular clients at the same time than the HR54, but that shouldn't be an issue unless you have a lot of TV locations.

5. tadam

tadam Legend

Dec 8, 2006
    Thank you for all the info. With only 1 4K TV, I guess I will keep my current equipment.

6. jpray72

jpray72 Cool Member

Dec 10, 2011
    I have never heard of anyone getting an upgrade without a contract extension. Has anyone else?

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    It will be an upgrade and the TS will get a 2-year extension.

What I have heard is CSRs saying 'no contract' when there is an extensiin.

8. Richard

Richard Legend

Apr 23, 2002
    South Texas
    And we wonder why we have yearly price increases. :mad:

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    That's mostly because of the price they pay for programming. Cable/satellite providers are paying local stations an average of over $10 for locals now, that's quadrupled in the past 6-8 years. So a buck of the yearly increase goes to them, another buck probably goes to Disney, another buck for miscellaneous sports rights exclusive of RSNs, etc.

Complain when they increase the $7 per TV fee - now THAT'S a money grab since even a Genie costs them less over its five year expected life, and clients are paid for in a few months.