1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New fee fight coming folks !

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by PBowie, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Aug 6, 2013 #1 of 44
    PBowie

PBowie Legend

Jan 4, 2006
    Florida
    Just read ESPN is up for renewal in a few weeks so prepare yourselves for ESPN to be missing for a while while the kids fight and argue.
    we all know from history these things rarely go smoothly,

For me - I couldn't care less about ESPN- I can easily do without it -charlie- why not make ESPN a pay choice? And now if ESPN gets nasty and wants to play dirty,Charlie knows that he's got Fox sports 1 up his sleeve to bargain with :)

bottom line for me- if they are asking for outrageous raises- then make it a pay channel/s

seeing as ESPN has lost the English Premier league I wont be watching any of its channels anyway but I know a lot of you do. so - here's
    hoping for you bothers and sisters ! :)

1 person likes this.
  2. Aug 6, 2013 #2 of 44
    WebTraveler

WebTraveler Icon

Apr 9, 2006
    Yea, this is something that's brewing....but negotiations should have been going on for awhile.

Add this to the issue with FS1 coming on board and it could be a long season.

But the two can be played off against one another....heck, ESPN could lose its channel location to FS1 if they really make Charlie mad. It remains to be seen what happens here.

3. Aug 6, 2013 #3 of 44
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003

4. Aug 6, 2013 #4 of 44
    Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I say put all sports in one package for people who like sports.

2 people like this.
  5. Aug 6, 2013 #5 of 44
    Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Not going to happen.

6. Aug 6, 2013 #6 of 44
    RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Great idea for those that like SPORTS let them pay for it. Give the rest of us a break on our programming prices.

1 person likes this.
  7. Aug 6, 2013 #7 of 44
    TBoneit

TBoneit Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    The Only one person in this house that would be upset by ESPN being gone, would only care about for Nascar. It isn't me BTW.

Other than that it could go away and not be missed.

Tboneit

8. Aug 6, 2013 #8 of 44
    Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    This will effect ABC, and DISNEY also.

9. Aug 6, 2013 #9 of 44
    Curtis0620

Curtis0620 Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    You may get your wish. Charlie mentioned the possibility of dropping ESPN/DISNEY and lowering package prices. This was in the Q2 results call.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Been sayin' that for years.

The kicker here is separating it from ABC/Disney (which needs to happen).

11. SDWC

SDWC AllStar

Dec 14, 2005
    Funny how this always seems to happen with various sports channels & networks right about the time the NFL is set to start its season.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Agreed ... ESPN will be off DISH completely before they agree to be distributed to less customers.

13. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    As much as I like sports... IF I thought Charlie could play hardball and win here, then I wouldn't mind losing ESPN for a bit... but reality sinks in and Charlie knows that IF he truly lost ESPN, there would be a LOT of complaints..... so I really don't see ESPN going anywhere.

In fact... I think it more likely that we see ESPNUHD and perhaps the rest of the missing ABC/Disney HD feeds come back as a part of these negotiations.

14. dstout

dstout Legend

Jul 19, 2005
    Stewart,

You think the Longhorn and SEC Networks will be added when this is over?

15. krisguy

krisguy New Member

Aug 6, 2013
    I expect to see the addition of Longhorn, SEC, and WatchESPN (the big one) on this round of contract.

16. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I can't imagine this not becoming a big deal. We need to remember the thread HD carriage dispute w/ ABC/ESPN/Disney, a thread that goes 21 pages (here's the link to the last post #418). By the time of the last post it was obvious that the Disney folk and Charlie were at odds big time over carriage fees for Disney owned or controlled channels.

What we're talking about is on June 22, 2010 Charlie dropping the HD version of the Disney channels and ABC Family, as well as impacts on the ESPN arm. From Wikipedia:
    What is included here is the ABC owned-and-operated stations located in the following DMA's representing 20-25% of the viewing public:
    • New York
    • Los Angeles
    • Chicago
    • Philadelphia
    • San Francisco-Oak-San Jose
    • Houston
    • Raleigh-Durham- Fayetteville

plus
    • The Disney Channel with Disney XD and Disney Jr,
    • ABC Family
    • The entire ESPN channel group (80% Disney, 20% Hearst)
    • A+E Networks (50% Disney, 50% Hearst)
    Remember Charlie dropped the HD versions of the Disney Channel group, ABC Family, and ESPNews in a contract dispute that had gone to court.

In our household, rather than look at additional fees in the $8 a month range several years out, we could get along without any of these although we do watch "Longmire" and "The Glades" on A&E. And, yes, we really could get along without our ABC broadcast channel which is on the list.

But while Charlie could get away with the Disney group and ABC Family offered only in SD, I'm not so sure Dish could stand the hit of not having them or the ESPN group at all. But Charlie does get mad and unlike the corporate suits at Disney, Charlie takes it personally.

Some believe that negotiations have been going on since June 22, 2010, but I'm not so sure.

17. sregener

sregener Godfather

Apr 17, 2012
    If Dish dropped ESPN (for longer than a month or so - I'll give them time to negotiate), I'd drop Dish. ESPN is one of the few channels I watch on a regular basis. I'd love to see WatchESPN included in any deal, as my Internet provider does not carry ESPN3.

18. BillJ

BillJ Icon

May 5, 2005
    Only a short term solution. Every satellite and cable company is going to face this sooner or later. I hope they stand their ground against price gouging by content providers. Yes, small increases are warranted, but not some the outrageous demands we've seen in the past.

19. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    They all need to stand their ground against ESPN extortion. If they did so, the provider-switchers would soon have no place to go as ESPN would be off most systems.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/08/06/walt-disney-earnings/2625121/

That kinda says it in a nutshell. ESPN and the other channels are essentially carry the corporation. If they started being dropped, something would have to happen and quick.

20. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    What the channel providers really need to start doing is making it so their contracts with the big companies that own the channels all run out at about the same time. How much pull would Disney have if they knew their contract w/ both satellite companies, the cable companies and the telco companies were all due to expire w/in a few months of each other? They couldn't use their usual tactic of telling their customers, just drop your current provider and sign up for another one in your area that carries our channel. The legal depts of the channel owners are pretty smart to have made it so all these contracts are usually expiring in different years or at least many months apart with the different providers.