New Flex Package/Add-On Packages

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Link, Jul 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 8, 2016 #1 of 85
    Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Yesterday I switched to the new Flex Package for $34.99 a month. Add-on packages are available--Locals Pack, Regional Action Pack, National Action Pack, Kids Pack, and News Pack are $10 each. Heartland and Variety Pack are $6 each, Outdoor Pack is $4. You have to call customer service to the Loyalty department (866-974-0769) to request this package. They aren't posting it anywhere yet and no lineup is available online.

Note: No Fox Sports RSN is available at this time. Multisport w/Redzone still requires Top 120 Plus or higher to add, hopefully this changes in the future.

Here is the lineup from what I have:

Flex Pack Channels ($34.99)
    (in order from the channel guide)

USA
    TV Land
    Comedy Central
    Lifetime
    Food Network
    DIY
    HGTV
    Cooking Channel
    E!
    Pop
    A&E
    History
    SyFy
    FXX
    We
    HDMovies
    AMC
    TCM
    IFC
    FX
    QVC
    TBS
    TNT
    MTV2
    VH1
    GAC
    CMT
    Cartoon/Adult Swim
    Discovery Channel
    TLC
    Hallmark Channel
    National Geographic Channel
    Travel Channel
    Pivot
    CNN
    HLN
    HSN
    HSN2
    Evine
    Spike
    TruTV
    QVC Plus
    INSP
    Reelz
    FeTV/Cozi TV (not sure if this is with locals or included in the main Flex Pack)

Add-On Packages

Locals Pack ($10): Your local channels in your area, these are optional with Flex Pack.

National Action Pack ($10): AXS.TV, ESPN and ESPN 2, Fox Sports 1, TVG, TVG2, Fuse, Universal HD, Velocity HD

Regional Action Pack ($10): ESPN Buzzer Beater, Big 10 Network. Fox Sports 2, Longhorn Network, Outside Network, PAC-12 Network, SEC HD, World Fishing Network

Kids' Pack ($10): Animal Planet, Baby TV, Boomerang, Disney, Disney Jr, Disney XD, Nick Toons, Nick Jr.

News Pack ($10): Bloomberg, Blaze, CNBC, MSNBC, Fox News, Fox Business, Weather Channel

Variety Pack ($6): BET, Bravo, Crime and Investigation, FreeForm, Investigation Discovery, Lifetime Movie Network

Heartland ($6): Baby TV, Discovery Family, GSN, Hallmark, Hallmark Movies and Mysteries, OWN, PiXL, RFD-TV, Ride TV, Rural TV/FamilyNet, Up

Outdoor($4): Outdoor Channel, Outside TV, Sportsman Channel, World Fishing Network

2. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    Thanks for posting.

3. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Weird. It kinda looks like the $49.99 Dish America package but with a few different cable channels including one I'd like to get - AMC but without some I like. I assume it's eligible for the premiums but I wonder if you can get the premium deals.

4. Link

Link Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2004
    Yes I get the same premium deals I was before on the Flex Pack. I don't watch a lot of TV outside the local channels, so I'm trying out this new package now. If it doesn't work for me, I'll go back to the Welcome Pack.

5. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    You may end up liking it but it really isn't meant for you. It is meant for the opposite, those trying to get as many of the most watched cable channels in a more affordable package. Welcome package costing about $24 less when you include locals would seem to be what you would get the best value from. But certainly worth trying it for a month.

6. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    On my account page, they don't even offer the Welcome Package but do offer the Smart Package. For years I have looked at all the packages. Streaming options have changed how I look at things. Based on our viewing preferences, I have a chart that I have assigned values to channels with an "ideal" $50 package. I've added the Flex Pack as indicated in the OP and it is absolutely the best deal for me if I can get it:

[​IMG]

It's an arbitrary, subjective list. As you can see, sports channels aren't on the list. I have CNN only because once in a while something happens that I'd prefer to watch coverage TV without having to deal with my computer or tablet, but frankly I don't like the news channels. I gave AT120 a $1 credit for SiriusXM but when I dropped down to Dish America I added a $4/mo internet subscription to my car subscription and frankly the internet subscription is worth more. I haven't included the premiums because I can subscribe to them separately either at Dish or streaming. I assign a negative value when a channel isn't there based on a set of assumptions about what I would spend for streaming subscriptions to get a show or two that initially appeared on the channel.

It's somewhat silly, but I can't figure out any other way to approach it. But what it tells me is that for us Dish America is "only" $20 overpriced based on our viewing interests compared to the others. But all of a sudden here's the Flex Pack that's less than $5 overpriced.

And by "overpriced" I mean "taxing" me to support the habits of other viewers. As I've said here before, IMHO every monthly charge I pay for things that others want is a "tax" - yes, the private sector frequently "taxes" people.

But regardless of my opinion, this FLEX PACK is new per trademark info filing:

7. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Well, I made the switch to the Flex Pack (plus locals) using the online chat which went like this:

My online programming page completely changed:

[​IMG]

Here's a channel listing for the Flex Pack without showing local channels, all the Dish on demand channels, adult channels, regional sports and alternative sports channels, as I receive it sorted two ways.

Sorted Alphabetically:
    A&E
    ALIVE
    AMC
    BABY1
    BBGL
    BETG
    BETJM
    BETS
    BLAZE
    BTV
    CCNEW
    CCTVE
    CMDY
    CMT
    CMTMU
    CNN
    COLLG
    COOK
    CSPAN
    CTN
    D101
    DISC
    DIY
    E!
    EPIC
    EVINE
    EVINE
    EWTN
    FINDR
    FIT
    FOOD
    FOXS2
    FX
    FXX
    GAC
    GEMS
    GOLF
    GREAT
    HDNMV
    HGTV
    HIST
    HITN
    HLMRK
    HLN
    HSN
    HSN2
    ICTV
    IFC
    IMPCT
    INSP
    JTV
    KTV
    LC
    LIFE
    LWUSA
    MALL
    MALL
    MARKT
    MLBSZ
    MTV2
    MTVHT
    MTVU
    NASA
    NTFLX
    NTGEO
    PIVOT
    PIXL
    POP
    PREM
    QVC
    QVC+
    REAL
    REELZ
    RIDE
    SALE
    SPIKE
    STDIO
    SUND
    SYFY
    TBN
    TBS
    TCM
    TLC
    TNT
    TNT
    TOON
    TRU
    TRV
    TVLND
    USA
    VALU
    VH1
    VICE
    V-ME
    WE
    WN
    YOUTV

Sorted by Channel #:
    105 USA
    106 TVLND
    107 CMDY
    108 LIFE
    110 FOOD
    111 DIY
    112 HGTV
    113 COOK
    114 E!
    117 POP
    118 A&E
    120 HIST
    121 VICE
    122 SYFY
    123 MALL
    125 FXX
    126 SUND
    128 WE
    130 HDNMV
    131 AMC
    132 TCM
    133 IFC
    134 EVINE
    136 FX
    137 QVC
    138 TNT
    139 TBS
    149 FOXS2
    151 COLLG
    152 FINDR
    153 MLBSZ
    161 MTV2
    162 VH1
    165 GAC
    166 CMT
    176 TOON
    182 DISC
    183 TLC
    185 HLMRK
    186 NTGEO
    196 TRV
    197 PIVOT
    200 CNN
    202 HLN
    210 CSPAN
    212 BLAZE
    215 WN
    217 FIT
    219 ALIVE
    220 MALL
    221 MARKT
    222 HSN
    223 GREAT
    224 EPIC
    225 SALE
    226 HSN2
    227 JTV
    228 EVINE
    229 GEMS
    230 ICTV
    239 TNT
    241 SPIKE
    242 TRU
    248 RIDE
    255 QVC+
    259 INSP
    260 TBN
    261 EWTN
    264 KTV
    267 CTN
    268 IMPCT
    269 REAL
    274 LC
    275 YOUTV
    277 LWUSA
    279 CCNEW
    286 NASA
    298 PREM
    299 REELZ
    349 STDIO
    362 BETG
    363 BETS
    364 CMTMU
    365 BETJM
    366 MTVU
    368 MTVHT
    370 NTFLX
    388 PIXL
    401 GOLF
    403 BBGL
    823 BABY1
    829 D101
    843 HITN
    846 V-ME
    883 VALU
    884 CCTVE
    998 BTV

8. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I made the switch to the Flex Pack, locals pack and national sports pack last night. It really was a no brainer for me. Not a single channel that was in my 3 'favorites' changed and they are the only channels I watch. Basically going from T120 to Flex Pack was just a $10/month reduction in cost with no loss of any channel I care at all about. Sweet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yes, I can't believe this hasn't appeared on any of the normal Dish or Dish sellers websites. Here are the add-on packs that are offered to me in the Manage Programming web page, some of which are "regional", in addition to the normal add-on packages like premiums (the prices are indicated in the graphic in my post above:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I don't know if people get just how significant this is. Dish is now offering a pretty extensive cable channel package for $34.99 that is also a streaming package with Dish Anywhere.

But you really aren't limited to the Dish Anywhere arrangement. Many, many cable channels offer streaming if you've got a subscription with a cable/satellite provider like Dish. Here's just a few channel Apps that can be used on your other devices because you have the $34.99 package:

[​IMG]

If you can get broadcast TV off the air, this is pretty good. You can get the package with a Wally receiver (no DVR) for no additional monthly fee or a Hopper 3 DVR for $10 a month. The Wally gives you Dish Anywhere. A Hopper not only adds a DVR but adds live streaming features to Dish Anywhere.

And the fact is you're getting an extensive cable package and not paying a dime to Disney/ESPN or locals unless your want an add-on package.

1 person likes this.
  11. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    While I like the package offering and have signed up for it, I have to wonder how many lawsuits might come out of it?

And going forward, with ESPN and Disney each having almost a pack to themselves, it could expose the real costs of those channels. Could get interesting.

12. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    What if you have the SuperStations package? Can ya still keep that? Not that its worth much these days w/ only 2 channels left, although Dish did give me an almost $9 credit for the loss of those channels.

13. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I would think that if the Superstations package is a separate choice that you would be able to keep it.

14. mwdxer

mwdxer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Seaside Oregon
    There should not be any issues keeping the Super Stations, as I asked a few weeks ago about downgrading to the Welcome Pack, Encore pack, Movies, and keep the Super Stations and I was told no problem. If I dropped the Super stations I could no longer get them back though.

15. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    You could probably call with your own ale-cart package right now. They are in a giving mood. I tried to cancel and was given everything but the kitchen sink for 3 months.

16. lee635

lee635 Hall Of Fame

Apr 17, 2002
    Holy smokes. No CSPAN2?? What gives? :bang :blackeye: :nono2:

Seriously, we are looking to switch to the flex pack. If you don't get locals on sat, do you lose the program guide information for the off air locals? Also, seriously, I like booktv, so is CSPAN2 in an add-on pack, maybe the Lamest add-on pack? :righton: Thanks all.

17. camo

camo Godfather

Apr 15, 2010
    These flex packages look really good. Game changer if you ask me. Too bad I just turned Directv back on because of NFL dispute.

18. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah lawsuits are the question.

I've get all along smaller packages that don't require each other would be much better than any a la cart system. I hope this succeeds and if it does DIRECTV and everyone else will follow suit.

19. shadough

shadough Icon

Dec 31, 2006
    I would think the local guide data should still come thru. I mean I have channels from Atlanta & Baltimore on my recvr and they still populate w/ guide data, even though im out of range of the signal towers.

20. tcatdbs

tcatdbs Icon

Jul 10, 2008
    Wife probably needs the Heartland addon, but looks like a good time to switch to Hopper 3 and to this plus locals. I assume I keep my HD for life and can get the $10 movie pack (Epix, MGM, Sony), although would probably drop that since I have Amazon with Acorn, and Netflix.

This would save me $30 or $40 off my current Top200, and would only lose one of my favorites Cnbc (watch Squawk Box a lot), not sure if it's worth adding the news pack.
    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.