1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new genie/geniego install questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by dseang21, Jun 12, 2013.

1. dseang21

dseang21 New Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Hello all. Well I am now the proud owner of a new HR44. We took the leap into the hi-def world recently and decided to replace or SD R22 DVR with a new genie and a client. Since I had the R22, I had it networked for on-demand and direct2pc, so I wanted to try out the GenieGo, mainly for streaming to mobile devices at home. So, I ordered that when I ordered the upgrades, as well as whole home. Unfortunately, I wasn't available to be home for the install, but my wife is off this week, so she stayed home with the installer. I was working in a fringe area for cell service today, and at one point I get a voicemail from my wife asking if I wanted this Nomad thingy. She said the installer said it was a new thing that he hasn't had to install yet, but it's so you can watch your DVR while on airplanes and from hotels. Since we don't travel much, she said she didn't think we wanted it. I immediately called her back and said yes we wanted it...It wouldn't have been on the work order, if that were not the case. She said he was finished, but was still parked out front, so she would tell him. Well, she called back and said that he had already closed out the ticket, so he couldn't install it, but we could call directv and they would ship one out and we could install it ourselves. When I had a few minutes, I called customer service and explained everything to them, and was told that they would have to contact the installer and I would get a call back. The installers called tonight and we had to schedule a return visit. So here's my question...Do they really need to come back out to install it? Or could I install it myself? Based on my research, it seems pretty straight forward. I'm also wondering if everything was installed to allow the GenieGo to work(minus the GenieGo of course). It appears as if he replaced the LNB with a swim one, a 4 port swim splitter, a power inserter, the HR44, a C41, and a deca device. The main thing I'm not sure about is the absence of the Cinema Connection Kit. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sean

2. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The HR44 has built in wifi so it maybe connected wirelessly to the Internet. The GenieGo can be self installed if you want to install it yourself as it only needs to be connected to your router

3. StangGT909

StangGT909 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    Does the genie go actually require the true genie dvr ?

Or will it work with my hr24 HD-DVR?

4. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Does the genie go actually require the true genie dvr ?

Or will it work with my hr24 HD-DVR?

Yes

5. StangGT909

StangGT909 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    Yes to needing a genie?

Or yes to working with my hr24?

6. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    Works with any HdDVR model

7. StangGT909

StangGT909 Legend

Mar 9, 2007
    Thanks

8. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    When I check the DirecTV website, it says the GenieGo requires the Genie...your reply makes me think the website is wrong...

9. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Where on the website? You definitely do not need the Genie......people have been using Nomad (the old name for GenieGo) long before the HR34 was released.

10. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    I used GenieGo/Nomad with only HR20, HR21, and an HR24 initially.
    Rest assured you don't need a Genie.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Here it what it says:

12. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    The statement is true, but not inclusive. In other words, the statement doesn't talk about other DVRs specifically, but the "or" covers the others.

13. mobandit

mobandit Hall Of Fame

Sep 4, 2007
    Thanks, guys!

14. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So what was the outcome?