New Genie install - Internet questions

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mrknowitall526, Nov 18, 2014.

1. mrknowitall526

mrknowitall526 Active Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    I ordered a Genie and a Genie Mini yesterday over the phone around 2 pm - both arrived to my door stop at 9:30 am this morning!

We got both for "free" as they replaced our 2 remaining SD boxes. They told us to keep our current HR24 and H25 receivers.

Hooked up the Genie and Mini and moved all boxes around and everything seems to be working.

I have a question about the On Demand with the Genie. First of all, Genie is connected to my 3 Mbps Verizon DSL line via Wifi. When I "start over" with some shows, it tells me the Internet speed is too slow and the video has to buffer. But when I view other things on demand, it works fine. And, I am perfectly able to watch 1080p Youtube videos without a problem. Is it always going to be like this? Someone told me when a Genie is newly connected it downloads all kinds of stuff and can take 24 hours before it settles down. Is that true? Seems strange to me that I could watch 1080p online but not an HD on demand show.

Also, I can view the playlists of my old DVR on my Genie and vice versa, from any box. But on my Genie, I can't see the Series Manager from the other DVR - and vice versa. Is it supposed to work this way?

Sorry for all the questions! Verizon DSL just became available for us a few weeks ago and we decided to upgrade to the Genie and trying to figure all of this out!

2. jagrim

jagrim Hall Of Fame

Aug 25, 2006
    You will be able to view the playlists from the other DVR's but not the Series Manager.

3. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    VOD downloads, so it can tolerate a slower connection. Start Over Streams, and it requires a better connection. DIRECTV® recommends 2.0 Mbps, although I have found out that the sweet spot is anything over 5Mbps.

When it fails, select “more info” and it will tell you the speed the genie is seeing.

Yes, that is correct.

4. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    What exactly is a "Watch Now" program as opposed to a VOD?

5. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    “watch Now” starts the download and play back immediately as opposed to “record” to watch later which you may find useful..

6. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    It's interesting that a stream seems to need more bandwidth than a download, even though you can start to watch them both immediately.

Would things be improved if I connected via Ethernet? They didn't include a DECA in the self-install kit. According to the HR44 my wifi signal strength is "Excellent" which I know isn't very descriptive; the Genie and the router are on different floors, but only set off from each other by about 6 feet or so.

7. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Ethernet is always better than wifi but if you are only getting 3 mbps then that may be your problem. You can plug the ethernet in directly to your 44.

8. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Think of it this way. Streaming has to have full bandwidth to stream the program. Downloading it can happen slower over time because it doesn't need it all in real Time.

9. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I have my Genie directly connected to the router via Ethernet. It works great!

And welcome to DBSTalk!

10. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    What's your internet speed?

If I connect an Ethernet cable to my HR24, which is part of the whole-home network, will it be able to share the Internet connection? That is closer to my router than the Genie.

Since the Genie is busy downloading all kinds of stuff, when I start a stream does it continue to download things, or does it stop to divert all the bandwidth it can to the stream? I guess what I'm wondering is, will streaming eventually work better? I don't think Verizon will ever give me anything besides 3 Mbps for my DSL.

11. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I have 12 Mpbs but we had 1.5 for many years . We didn't stream when it was that slow. It just didn't work well. The stuff being downloaded is background stuff unless you are downloading a program or movie. Those I would not do at the same time as streaming.
    I don't think an HR24 can act as a bridge to your network like a Genie can. But you can connect a CCK or a powered DECA (I think) to be a wired connection. I used a CCK before I moved my Genie.

12. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    A tech support rep tested my DSL line and said it could handle up to 10 Mbps, and set the modem there, but Verizon wasn't letting me get anything more than 3. Maybe I will try to argue with them again about bumping it up, but they say it isn't available.

I'm sure aside from testing these things out that I won't really do much streaming once the "novelty" wears off! But VOD would be nice.

13. Supramom2000

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Our solution to VOD was to start downloading just before bed so it could go all night. Less competition for the bandwidth then as well.

14. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    Why do they advertise, then, that only a minimum of 750 kbps is required? and 2 Mbps recommended? Maybe it will "settle down" in another day or so.

15. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    Just trying things out ... I am able to stream 720p from Netflix on my Wii U. So, unless Direct is trying to stream 1080p, I don't see what the problem could be?

16. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    NF adjust to available bandwidth, DIRECTV® does not.

17. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    I just tried a few different things. A "Missed it? Watch now!" show from CNN seemed to act like a streaming program - even though it was recording in my playlist. But a "regular" On Demand show from CNN opened, played right away, and got ahead as I watched. Both were in HD. I don't get it.

18. bpratt

bpratt Godfather

Nov 24, 2005
    Salt Lake...
    The HD signal you receive from DirecTV is compressed. If is was not, none of us would be able to stream a program. The amount of motion and action in a show depends on how much it can be compressed. A high action movie can require 5 Mbps or more to stream where a news show like CNN can get by with less than 1 Mbps. You can always get any show from on demand with your bandwidth by selecting record instead of watch now.

19. mrknowitall526

Nov 18, 2014
    Lehigh...
    I'm still sort of confused by this. But now that I've had more than a month with the Genie and being connected to the Internet, I have some questions:

1. What exactly is the "Queue" and what makes it different than on demand?
    2. I get how VOD works from any of the networks. How do the Directv movies work? Does it download from the satellite or from the Internet? Can you tell right away which it will be?
    3. What does the green play arrow next to some on demand movies mean?

From what I've read, it seems to me that the DVR automatically receives certain movies / content without having to download? I just watched a trailer of a movie it played instantly from channel 9981 or something. Is this taking up space on my DVR?

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    1. The "queue" is where you place up coming movies and as soon as they are available on DIRECTV®, DIRECTV® will push them to you via the satellite.

2. Not sure the question here. DIRECTV® has PPV movies which start at a specific time, or PPV VOD, which you can watch right away (after you pay of course)

3. Tittles with green "play" button means that these movies has been pushed to your DVR via satellite and are ready to watch. You do need a method to pay, a phone line, internet connection, or you can pay by text

4. Of course they take space on your DVR, but this space is not available to you anyway.